Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > The Middle East
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Fireside Rabbit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fireside Rabbit
    Posted: 05 May 2011 at 11:16
From Saeed Al-Maktoum @ www.accuratereloading.com, a member of the royal family of the UAE:

Quote I think the first wild game animal I had ever eaten was a rabbit. We were out in the desert with my grandfather.

Bedouins try to travel light, and make do with what they have. Hence the basic way of preparing food.

We light a fire, and once it is lit, we dig a sort fo a hollow at the edge of it, and put the rabbit in that hollow, cover it with a bit of sand, and put part of the fire on top of the sand.

The rabbit is put there as is, with skin and without being gutted.

This is normally done in the evening as we retire to bed. When we wake up in the morning, the rabbit is well and truly done. We dig it up, and apart from some places where the hair might have been burnt slightly, the rabbit does not look cooked at all.

But, as you peel the skin off, you find the meat is well cooked.

Everything is eaten, including the stomach content and brain.

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 13:54
You first!
Hungry
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 15:38
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

The rabbit is put there as is, with skin and without being gutted.

Everything is eaten, including the stomach content and brain.

Think I'll pass on this one.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 15:40
me, i would have to at least gut it, but other than that, i would try it.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 16:08
Yeah....I have to get the jellybeans out of there first....screw tradition! Wink
Go ahead...play with your food!
kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 17:16
Ah, come on, you've got to try everything once...
kai time!
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 21:19
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

Yeah....I have to get the jellybeans out of there first....screw tradition! Wink

I was watching that Bear Grylls guy on his survival show this past weekend and he was in the swamps of Alabama and he was actually eating rabbit turds, he said that rabbits will sometimes re-eat them to get all of the nutrition out of them.  I'm not quite that hungry.
curious aardvark View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curious aardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 04:35
we eat quite a lot of rabbit.
The stomach contents do not smell appetising in any way.

So nope, I'd eat the rest, but the arabs are welcome to the stomach :-)
Beware the slings of outrageous fortune (bows and arrows are for wimps ;-)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic