Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > Eastern Canada
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Acadian Chicken Fricot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acadian Chicken Fricot
    Posted: 24 August 2017 at 12:42
Acadian Chicken Fricot

We have a terrible lack of Canadian recipes here; because of this, I am always keeping my eye out for one. I found this Acadian recipe at Saveur's online Magazine, which looks pretty good. I intend to try it, one of these days.

Quote Chicken Fricot

In this classic Acadian comfort dish, savory - the pungent, peppery herb - adds a piney zest to the dumplings, which puff when dropped into the simmering broth.

To serve 8:

For the Soup

4 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
6 cups chicken stock
4 sprigs savory
1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

For the Dumplings:

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon finely chopped savory
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄2 cup milk

To make the soup:

Heat butter and oil in a 6-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, cook the chicken, flipping once, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.

Add garlic, onion, carrot, and celery to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 7 minutes. Return chicken and its juices to the pan with the stock and savory. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, until chicken is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add potato and cook, until tender, about 8 minutes more.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a cutting board and discard the savory. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred into large pieces and return to the pan. Bring the soup to a simmer.

To make the dumplings:

Whisk flour, savory, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Stir in milk until a thick batter forms. Using a 1-ounce scoop or 2 tablespoons, drop batter into simmering soup. When dumplings are puffed and slightly firm, cover the pan and continue to cook about 5 minutes more.

http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/chicken-fricot
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 06:49
That does sound good, Ron.

Summer savory--which is what's usually meant when just "savory" is specified--is one of those herbs that transforms when dried (like basil). So it's important that only fresh savory be used in a dish like this.

Winter savory does retain its flavor when dried, but presents a different flavor profile than the summer stuff.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 08:43
Interesting is that it is - when you look at it - basically just a chicken soup with dumplings. But, there are a couple of little tweaks that make it interesting, and I assume those tweaks define it as Acadian; the savory, for instance.

We've discussed this before, but I wonder how much of the recipe is "cheffed up" a bit by Saveur. The olive oil seems incongruous, but I don't know enough to say for sure; and, in the end, it probably doesn't matter much because some sort of fat must be used.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic