Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Johnny Sack's Spaghetti

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 07:24
hi, dan - yep, we've come to believe that the "pictorial" concept really works well!

this is indeed good. my first attempt was a little awkward, but it STILL tasted light years better than any sauce i had ever bought. since my first attempt, i've made this several times, and it NEVER fails to be outstanding, whether for spaghetti, gnocchi, meatball sandwiches or what have you....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 09:09
Tas and Dan,

It was truly wonderful with Hoser´s St. Joseph´s Day ( 19th March ) Meatballs !

Kindest Regards and have lovely wkend.
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 09:24
    Tas, this is pretty much the basic sauce we use in our house as well.  You just can't beat it for an all around good sauce, at least we think so Smile

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 20:16
Margi,

I'm glad you enjoyed it but the thanks really go to Vincent Curatola (I wish we could get him to post here, how cool would that be?)  Due to work issues I don't get to post much but am glad you tried the recipe and enjoyed it.

Cheers,
Andy
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 11:10
I made the Curatola Johnny Sack recipe and doubled everything including the anchovies. I made the St. Joseph's Day meatballs to go with it. Molto buono! Mangia! Mangia!

Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 11:13
Sounds delicious Rod,

It is a fab recipe,

Buon Natale,
Margi.
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 12:04
I'm all for anchovies and for not telling people I've put them in my sauce. (be sure to ask your guests if they are allergic to fish)

I know everyone uses the canned tomatoes in the winter--and there was discussion about the brands and types of tomatoes. I use plum tomatoes, that I've dehydrated until dry but pliable, and freeze them--they smell like fresh summer tomatoes even after freezing. I put a handful or two of them in the blender, fill it up with water and blend them to oblivion. They make a wonderful, tomatoey fresh sauce flavor--and it's never watery because the tomatoes rehydrate in the water.

I wish I'd have learned this technique years ago, and not wasting countless hours canning tomatoes during the peak of the season (HOT WEATHER) with a hot canner boiling, sterilizing jars, lids, and rings, blanching and peeling tomatoes, adding salt and acid, handling hot jars, to end up with a sauce that needs to cook longer and is sometimes watery.

We had spaghetti with meat sauce last night--it's was delicious. The recipe looks perfect. ~Feather
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 12:28
Feather, maybe you could create another thread about dehydrating tomatoes. I know some people who could benefit from that information.

I used Muir Glenn diced tomatoes and instead of cooking them down, I used an immersion blender in the pot which made quick work of breaking the chunks of tomato down into an aceptable sauce consistency. Total cook time on the sauce was maybe half an hour, and 15 minutes of that was simmering the meatballs in the sauce.

I saw a cooking show long ago. I think it was a Tylers Ultimate, with Tyler Florence. I believe a segment was shot in Italy where he had a Marguerite pizza made with small plum type tomatoes that were hung to dry while still on the vine and smoked with I believe grape vine smoke. I recall mention of "the best pizza I ever had" mentioned.

Smoked dehydrated tomatoes..... Hmmmm.Tongue
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 12:33
Feather,   In both Spain and Italy, we have sub tropical regions for example, The Canary Islands in which there are 7 and Sicily and thus have fresh tomatoes 12 mos. a year. If making a Little Italy NYC dish verses a regional Italian, canned Ital. whole tomatoes can be combined with fresh. It all depends on dish. I prepare my lasagne al forno with tomato paste and fresh combo. I rarely make spaghetti however I had used this sauce for Hoser's meatballs with fresh tomatoes combo and it was divino. Have lovely evening. Margi.
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 12:36
Originally posted by Rod Franklin Rod Franklin wrote:

Feather, maybe you could create another thread about dehydrating tomatoes. I know some people who could benefit from that information.

I used Muir Glenn diced tomatoes and instead of cooking them down, I used an immersion blender in the pot which made quick work of breaking the chunks of tomato down into an aceptable sauce consistency. Total cook time on the sauce was maybe half an hour, and 15 minutes of that was simmering the meatballs in the sauce.

I saw a cooking show long ago. I think it was a Tylers Ultimate, with Tyler Florence. I believe a segment was shot in Italy where he had a Marguerite pizza made with small plum type tomatoes that were hung to dry while still on the vine and smoked with I believe grape vine smoke. I recall mention of "the best pizza I ever had" mentioned.

Smoked dehydrated tomatoes..... Hmmmm.Tongue

Rod, I'll create a thread about dehydrating tomatoes--I thought I had, but, I'm mistaken! (it happens)

I love my immersion blender too--I don't know how I grew up without it. Last night, with two blenders full of sauce, and 2 lbs of meat, after thawing, cook time was about the same--30 minutes.

Smoked dehydrated tomatoes---sounds fabulous! ~Feather
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 12:43
Rod. In wine producing regions, meats and vegetables are commonly grilled on them, especially in La Rioja Spain and in northern Italy provinces. I think Feather should kick off a spread on subject too when she has time. Interesting discussion. Thanx for posting. Margi.
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 13:07
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

Feather,   In both Spain and Italy, we have sub tropical regions for example, The Canary Islands in which there are 7 and Sicily and thus have fresh tomatoes 12 mos. a year. If making a Little Italy NYC dish verses a regional Italian, canned Ital. whole tomatoes can be combined with fresh. It all depends on dish. I prepare my lasagne al forno with tomato paste and fresh combo. I rarely make spaghetti however I had used this sauce for Hoser's meatballs with fresh tomatoes combo and it was divino. Have lovely evening. Margi.

Margi-we are not subtropical here!Cry Thus, no fresh tomatoes that are tasty in the winter, they come from the grocery stores, not smelling good, not usually ripe and like cardboard in texture.
Tomato paste is very concentrated tomatoes that will thicken a sauce. I've taken dehydrated tomatoes and powdered them, and that makes a really nice addition to thicken a tomato sauce as well. ~Feather
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 14:25
Feather, Preparing just fresh tomato sauce tend to lack body required for baked pastas and so two tblsps of paste thicken the sauce for ragu and baked pasta dishes. You are very artisanal and crafty. I would surely enjoy learning some more of Nonna's traditional Italian expertise and I learn alot from Fotw too. TU for ur undertakings as it does enhance my own growth too. Margi.
Feather View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 14:49
We can showcase the fresh or canned, dehydrated or not ideas in the next installment of the 'Margi and Feather' show.

You say 'tomato, I say tomahto, you say potato, I say potahto, tomato, tomahto, potato, potahto, let's not call the whole thing off'.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 14:58
Feather. Pomodoro ! Catch up on Monday ! Good night. Margi. ( ha ha )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic