Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Hungary
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Paprika Hendl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2012 at 16:46
It wasn't bad, but the "sweet"paprika had a bitter edge. Maybe I'd like it better with less of it.
I do like how tender the chicken came out.
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 02:11

Tas,

Firstly, the historical research is exemplary and was truly enjoyed.

The recipe looks divine too.

I would like to read it over real carefully before attempting, however, it could be a lovely Sunday lunch for us ...

Mediterraneans spend hours at the table for lunch, and the best part is the discussing the lunch on all points, slow cooking and sipping lots of wine ... 

What would be your side dish ?  Potato ? Rice ? Salad ?

I always do light with these type of dishes, as they tend to be heavy-ish, so I would go with crusty bread for sauce dipping, red wine and a  serrated lettuce variety green & magenta  salad, simple with evoo and vinegar Balsamic or rasberry which I like because of its lightness or just a drizzle of lemon juice and the Evoo with a sprinkle of salt  ...

For the Vet, perhaps, a baked or boiled potato.

Hope the dish is successfully delicious.

Thanks for posting.
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 15:42
I put it over noodles. The salad sounds delicious. There's magenta lettuce?
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2012 at 03:32
@ Melissa,

1stly, thanks so much for your post.

Yes, there are several types of Magenta red violet lettuces both in Italia, Spain, Greece and France.

1) radicchio - Italian ( this is a Venetian lettuce that is quite bitter )
2. lollo rosso - Italian and Spanish ( this is a curly lightly watery leaf lettuce with serrated edges that are magenta, and the upper section of the leaf is a celery tone green ) ...
*** Rosso means red in Italian ...  It is an Oak Leaf lettuce, however, NOT FROM AMERICAN OAK TREE ... This ( I ) had been explained on an older thread someplace ---  This is a gorgeous salad lettuce !

If you would like more information on these varieties of red violet magenta lettuce, I shall send the list translated later this evening.

Thanks and kindest regards.
Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2012 at 15:38
Now that you mention it, I've had radicchio. And I love oak leaf lettuce.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2012 at 08:40

@ Melissa,

Good evening.

Yes, Radicchio is quite a popular  magenta lettuce from Veneto, Italy originally.
LOLLO ROSSO is a curly serrated edged half green  and half magenta lettuce with a refreshing flavor. I am sure, you can look on internet and find it ... It is also grown in California, if I am not mistaken ... It is also Italian in origin.  *** ROSSO means Red in Italian.
It is my fave and delightful paired with other lettuces too.

Ask around at the FarmerĀ“s Markets and your fruit & vegetable store ...

Perhaps, you can grow it ! 

Kind regards,
Margi. Cintrano.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2012 at 16:22
It does sound good.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2012 at 13:51
I definitely have to try this. Heck I love Gulyas & Paprikas, so this will fit perfectly. And I love the taste of all kinds of paprika.
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 16:58
I made this tonight and wrecked it. Wrecked it by using bad paprika. I should have known better. It wasn't the usual brand. Even though the brand new can said sweet and delicate, and had an expiration date of more than a year out it was no good. I had already started the dish and when I popped the lid on the can so I could spoon the paprika out I noticed it was not a brilliant red like it should be. It was brown. I shouldn't have used it, but I did any way and I wrecked the dish.

This is likely akin to what happened to Melissa.

So, learn from my mistakes and make sure the paprika you buy is the good stuff. Use only a can that says "Pride of Szeged, Hungarian, Exquisite 100% Sweet Delicacy, Paprika" and open the can right in the store and make sure it is filled with brilliant red powder. DO NOT bother with anything else.

Hungry
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 07:25
youch - sorry to hear about that, rod ~ i know that the paprika makes the dish in this case, but were you able to salvage anything?

i checked my hungarian paprika at home that i got in billings, and it is indeed the exact same brand you mentioned (pride of szeged). i'm looking forward to giving it go with various dishes.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2015 at 08:05
I think I need to give this one a try.  It is, after all, that time of year.

I'm a huge fan of Hungarian dishes and never skimp on the paprika.

I Just made an order for the finest Hungarian paprika I've ever come across.   If you've never tried this deep mahogany red, awesome paprika, I highly recommend it. 
drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2015 at 12:36
A note, raddico is not a lettuce, but a heading chicory.
I use it quite a bit, really like it just by itself.
A nice addition to a tossed salad.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 08:02
At first I was going to fancy this dish up but decided to stick to the roots and make it as intended.
I followed the Paprika Hendi recipe posted here closely except for the addition of a few tablespoons of hot paprika. 
Served with fried potatoes.

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 19:45
That looks outstanding to me, gMan - I would happily sit down to a late of that, right now! Tongue

And the big question: how did you like it?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2015 at 07:28
I'm a sucker for all Hungarian foods and this one is no different.  I will lighten it up for the next go around but it's a keeper for sure.  
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2015 at 17:34
  I made this the other day at work...this time with some fat noddles.  I use Hungarian Sweet Paprika from Penzy's Spice.  The Hungarian paprika from Penzy's is Kulonleges grade.  There's a bit of difference from grade to grade...which may be what people are running into.  I'll try to find something decent on this and post it.
Enjoy The Food!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic