Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Oceania and the Pacific Islands > Australia and New Zealand
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Courgettes (zucchini) in baking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Courgettes (zucchini) in baking
    Posted: 11 February 2011 at 03:34
That looks really tasty Richard...this one will be on my to do list when the weather breaks.
It just strikes me as an out-on-the-deck recipe.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 01:43
Some pics of the courgette slice recipe.
Making the base:

baked base:

topping mixed:

topping on:

Finished:

Yummy and caramelised. Highly recommend that slice for something a little different.
kai time!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 11:30
hey - sorry i missed this reply ~

thanks for confirming what i was pretty sure of. here those wonderful courgettes/succhinis find their way into all sorts of good things, lending a great touch of flavour, colour and also nutrition in sometimes unexpected ways.

i will put "zucchini" in the title in parentheses so that people know. glad to have learned something new today!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2011 at 01:08
They are very similar to zucchini, in fact they are the same thing :) The two words are used interchangably here, but most people say courgette.

I looked it up - courgette is the french word for them, zucchini is the italian. The world seems pretty evenly split about which name is customary, according to wikipedia anyway.

Feel free to edit that into the thread title If you think it will help folks to understand.
kai time!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2011 at 00:17
plenty of snow up here, richard, but as i understand it, the folks in rivet's neck of the woods have even more! we might have to find a way to box a bunch of it up and sent it to you - maybe we could dehydrate it (instant snow - just add water?) ~

some very nice-looking recipes you have posted - would love to give them a try one of these days. is there any north american substitute that is similar to courgettes? i did a quick search and it looks as though they are similar to zucchinni, but i am not q00% sure.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 21:26
Everyone's courgettes are creating loads and loads of fruit right now. In the last couple of days I've had a courgette chocolate cake and courgette pickle on french bread as people try to find ways to use em up. Here are three of my favourite courgette recipes.

Courgette Slice (recipe from A Treasury of NZ Baking)
Base:
125g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 egg
200g standard flour

Topping:
5 eggs (I chuck in the other half from the base as well)
3 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
pinch of salt
3 Tbsp flour
100g sliced almonds
2 1/4 cups long threaded coconut
1 cup choc chips
2 1/4 cups grated courgette (grate just prior to mixing)

Method:
Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 30x20 slice tin, line with baking paper.

To make base, beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until creamy. Add egg and then the flour, stir until combined. press into the tin in a thin layer. bake for ~15 mins, til golden brown. remove and leave oven on.

To make the topping, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until combined. mix in flour, almonds, coconut and choc. grate courgette and mix in. spread topping evenly over prepared base. bake @ 180C for 30-45mins, depending on how wet the courgettes are. the slice should be firm, but still soft on the inside.

Courgette Cake (family recipe)

Very moist & spicy. Good for a pudding served hot, or ice with Cream Cheese Icing for a decadent cake.

¾ cup plain flour
¾ cup wholemeal flour
1 ¼  cups sugar
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
2 tsp mixed spice
2 cups grated courgette, leave skin on, pack gratings well down into measuring cup.
½ cup walnuts, chopped, chop extra for icing
3 eggs
1 cup oil

Put all ingredients into a large bowl & mix well (I shake up the eggs first). Mixture will be quite sloppy. Pour into a greased & lined 20cm ring tin, at least 6cms deep.

Bake at 150 degrees c for 65 – 70 mins. Leave cake to cool & then turn out carefully onto rack.

Cream Cheese Icing
250 pottle cream cheese, not lite (too runny)
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Blend all ingredients together in food processor or with hand beater till smooth. When cake is cold, spread icing on top, sprinkle with extra chopped walnuts.

Courgette walnut loaf (recipe from A Treasury of NZ Baking)

1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cup self raising flour
1tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups grated courgette
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, extra.

Preheat oven to 180C, grease a 21x10 loaf tin.

Beat oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla together until thick and creamy. fold in flour and cinnamon. add the courgette and first measure of walnuts, mix lightly.

Spoon into prepared tin. sprinkle with second measure of walnuts. bake for an hour, or until a skewer comes out clean.

This is best fresh, but freezes well.

-------------------

And that's it. I'm brewing today, it's so unreasonably hot and humid. sweat pouring off me, etc, etc. Can you guys spare some snow? I'd like to roll in it.

Cheers,
Kiwi

kai time!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic