Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fruits, Nuts, Fungi and Vegetables
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question
    Posted: 19 February 2011 at 19:51
Can Kohlrabi greens be eaten raw?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2011 at 20:20
Hi Melissa, I have not eaten them at all to my knowledge, but it looks like they may be eaten raw as well as cooked to healthful effect on the body! Chomp away! LOL

Check out these two links I found on the vegetable. Thanks for the post by the way, I see this strange looking thing a lot at this time of the year in the grocery store but have never thought to use it.

Apparently it tastes a lot like Kale, which I love, so I just may try it!
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2011 at 20:38
Thanks! It seemed a shame to waste half my purchase, but the last time, when I tried cooking the leaves, all I did was stink up the house. Bleah.

The vegetable itself, I love. People usually cook the big ones, which I've never tried. I like the small tender ones raw, peeled and sliced or cut in sticks. They taste like broccoli stems with a hint of radish. Most people salt them. I put salt-free lemon pepper on mine. They're good in salads too.
 I have a book called The Flavor Bible that says you can grill them, which sounds interesting.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2011 at 21:02

Well thanks for all your info and taste notes. Given that, sounds like they (the bulb part) would be great in stews (like mama vicky's borshcht) and other long simmering winter one-pot meals. Call me crazy, but this root-vegetable sounds to me perfect for putting into chili.....not a whole lot of it, but some.

I know,  I know, there are so many chili-purists out there, and I am one of them too. I just know that some versions of (what I call regular, household chili) chili are great with root vegetables in it and my kids loved it growing up when I tried to get some sort of vegetable into them! (you know the deal, parents).

"Real" purists' chili....well that's another story. I am all for the pure stuff, and the spices and the meat and the cookin' and all that.  Howevah........I am not from Texas, I'm from Vuh-Ginny-Ah,  an' we put beans in ours, ma'am!

Smile  Tongue  Smile  Clap

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2011 at 21:51
It is a cabbage-family veggie, though. Would that work in chili?

You'll get no complaints from me. My "chili" is mostly beans in tomato sauce. People like it. though. At my work's annual chili sale, they even pay money for it! (Probably because it's a charity fundraiser. :))
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2011 at 22:14
Oh I don't know if it would, but I will admit to putting turnips, carrots and potatoes into chili for my kids, but not all at the same time though! Smile This was during several different chilis over the course of their little lives.

They loved it all and proved to me that kids will eat what you serve them as long as you don't make a big deal about it!

Don't see why a medium kholrabi or two in an immense pot of chili could do any harm (and chili should be made in immense batches and pots for proper development).

By the way, if folks pay good money for your food, fund raiser or not, it's cause it's GOOD!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2011 at 07:11
It amazes me, because people usually put Poison Control on alert before eating my food. ;) My husband did ask for chili for Valentine's Day, though!

I was lucky growing up. A lot of my relatives are farmers, and my mom turned about 1/4 of her property into gardens, so my sisters and I have always appreciated good veggies. The first asparagus, peas and corn of the season are greeted with joy. Not that we all like every vegetable (I only started liking tomatoes and cucumbers in this past year, and I'm the only 1 of 3 who likes radishes and Brussels sprouts), but we all see fresh veggies as Good Things. Of course, it means we also see canned ones as abomination. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic