Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Africa > South Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Capetown Lamb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capetown Lamb
    Posted: 06 February 2010 at 05:55
Here is a South African lamb recipe that will absolutely knock your socks off. I have made this many times, and prefer to grill it on indirect heat, rotisserie or pop it in the smoker. The choice is yours...it is originally from Steve Raichlen's Barbeque Bible. This is just my twist on it.I will take photos for Qview next time I make it.

Capetown Lamb
1 Bone-in leg of lamb, trimmed of any fat or silverskin
6 cloves of garlic, slivered
6 slices ginger, slivered
1/4 cup Lea & Perrin's worcestershire
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp Creole mustard
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp minced ginger
salt
pepper

1. Using a very shap paring or boning knife, cut 1 inch deep slits 1 inch apart all over the lamb, and insert 1 sliver of garlic and 1 sliver of ginger into each.

2. Place lamb in a large ziplock bag or pan while you prepare the marinade.

3. Combine all remaining ingredients except salt and pepper in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.Cook u ntil thick and syrupy about three minutes.Remove from heat and taste ...season with salt and pepper if desired. Cool to room temperature.

4. Pour half the marinade over the lamb and refrigerate overnight. Refrigerate remaining marinade as well.

Next day, place lamb on rotisserie, indirect grill or smoker with drip pan underneath and cook to 160 F, basting several times. Remove lamb to rest at 160, and heat remaining marinade to serve as sauce.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2010 at 10:20
that's a great-looking recipe true to the rich and diverse south african heritage. thanks for sharing it with us!Thumbs Up
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2010 at 17:25
I forgot to mention: this makes a great sauce for grilling. I like to glaze it just a few minutes before I take meat off to rest, then re-heat the reserved sauce to serve when you slice it.

In all honesty, you'll probably want to double the sauce recipe...as is often the case, the sauce really makes the dish. Hope you guys enjoy it.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2010 at 17:39

As promised, here is the Capetown Lamb

We'll start with the main ingredients
We'll peel our ginger, and cut it into slices

Then we'll cut those slices into slivers and cut our garlic into slivers

Make cuts 1 inch deep and 1 inch long about every 2 inches, all over the roast

Place one garlic sliver and one ginger sliver into each cut

Make the marinade, pour it over the roast in a large ziplock bag and marinate overnight, then get that sucker into the smoker or onto the rotisserie! Cook to 160° basting several times with marinade. Warm leftover marinade while roast is resting
Slice and serve with your favorite sides, and some sauce.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2010 at 18:55
that looks wonderful, dave! great pictures and a beautiful presentation!
jdonly1 View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdonly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2010 at 01:38
Man that looks good,this is on the to do list for sure.
ThanksWink
jdonly1 View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdonly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 03:46
Had this for tea tonight.Marinated it for 2 days and then cooked it on the smoker.It was bloody buetifulYing Yang
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 03:48
I'm glad you got a chance to make it JD, and even happier that you enjoyed it Thumbs Up
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2011 at 16:29
Have my Easter leg of lamb marinating as we speak...followed the above procedures.

I'll post some pics of it when I get it into the smoker, and of course when I take it out.
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2011 at 09:00
Gee whiz!  That plate looks like something out of Gourmet magazine.  Beautiful, Dave!  Fabulous dish, thanks for posting.
jdonly1 View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdonly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2011 at 01:07
Have to get my butt into gear and make this again,it was pretty darn good
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2011 at 03:38
I had this wonderful lamb again yesterday...made some Italian style stuffed jalapenos from the leftover stuffing I had in the freezer, and tossed them into the GOSM with the leg of lamb.

Here's the lamb after about two hours over hickory smoke...just basting for the first time.

I smoked it low and slow and brought the I.T. up to 155°...took about six hours, and I enjoyed all of them. We finally got a sunny day here in New England. Hoser put the shorts on and even got a little bit of a sunburn....life is good!

Here is the lamb resting before getting carved....I'm sorry I don't have plated pictures for you, but by this time mass quantities of red wine had been consumed, and things get a little fuzzy. All in all, it was a great day...thanks for looking!

jdonly1 View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdonly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2011 at 03:55
sitting here droolingThumbs Up
jdonly1 View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdonly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2012 at 17:45
Doing a slightly different version of this later today
Boned out a home grown leg of lamb and butterflied it.Have it marinating and will cook it on the WSM
Will post pics after its done
Cheers JD
jdonly1 View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdonly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2012 at 18:15
Few pics
Marinade

Lamb

Lamb in marinade

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2012 at 20:56
looks good so far, jarrod!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2012 at 02:38
Looking really good so far Mate!
jdonly1 View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdonly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2012 at 16:25
Man we love this recipeWink
Here are the finished pics

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2012 at 17:59
absolutely beautiful, jarrod - lamb is hard to come by for us up here, but i'm going to have to see about saving some deer this fall for this purpose - great job!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
jdonly1 View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdonly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2012 at 20:57
Hmmm wonder how it would go with deer????I think it would work well wit a nice piece of pork maybe.
We used some seeded mustard and it seemed to go well with the recipe

We are lucky to have lamb on tap here as we breed them.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic