Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Gardening
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

I'm drowning in chilis here. Help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm drowning in chilis here. Help?
    Posted: 10 March 2011 at 15:46
Right, I have so many damn peppers I'm running out of things to do with them. Every meal in the last couple of weeks has been spicy as hell, too LOL

Here is what is available

More habaneros than I'd want to put in anything. Probably around .75kg I'd guess.
Probably a kilo or so of capsicums (bell peppers to you), most red and yellow, a couple of greens
maybe a kilo of anaheims
An abundance of cayenne, maybe half a kilo fresh, another kilo drying in ristras.
maybe a bit under half a kilo of wildfire (a little milder than a cayenne, strong and fresh tasting), mostly red some green.

Any ideas on how to use up some of this stuff? I've already made one batch of really hot salsa. I suppose I could do another but would love different ideas if anyone has some.
kai time!
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2011 at 16:12
I usually just dry my extras in the sun Richard, and use them all winter long.

Rivet has also posted a few really good salsa recipes ...I've tasted some of his salsas and they are very good.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2011 at 16:18
If you do not have a dehydrator, remove the stem and slice them in half (to allow moisture to escape) and dry them in a 200 F oven for a while until they are dyr but not brown...maybe an hour or so. Then freeze them and they are fantastic in winter recipes when you miss summer.

Or, make salsa, can it (pressure cook) it and stock it.

Or, just put them whole in vinegar, no need to pressure cook, just pack them in hot vinegar and seal and you are good to go. Adding garlic, onion, carrot and some cauliflower would give you some "gardineria" but you'd need to pressure cook that.

Hope this helps!

Over here when I am inundated, I also add them to salads and just eat the heck out of them. That's part of the enjoyment of summer, 'cause i sure miss them right about now, in the last-third of winter!
kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2011 at 16:24
I've already got lots sundried in ristras, probably enough to last me all winter. So preserving isn't really a problem. More thinking "is there anything I can make with these while they're fresh?"

Anyone got a good hot sauce recipe?
kai time!
got14u View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote got14u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2011 at 16:49
Make a pepper jelly out of some....That is one of my families favorite....sweet and hot
Jerod

Life's hard, it's even harder when your stupid.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2011 at 16:51
Richard, take a look out my Ecuadorian Salsa De Aji and see what you think. Although authentically made, in Ecuador, it calls for Serranos, I am sure that in Bolivia and other countries any hot pepper will do. I think you might like it and it does keep well in the refrigerator with no other worries.

It might be especially perfect over all that fresh seafood you get. I posted it in the condiments section.
kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2011 at 19:12
Cheers guys. I might have a look for some pepper jelly recipes.
kai time!
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 00:09
Smoke them until almost dry over a sweet wood like apple, finish until fully dry in a dehydrator, then mill them into a powder.  You will have a base that will make wonderful hot sauces (I'll try to post a recipe for my Georgia Peach Smoked Habanero Hot Sauce here in the near future), is fantastic sprinkled on chili, or sprinkled on anything like pizza, fries, or sandwiches from a shaker.  Can't have too many chilis.
kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 01:06
no dehydrator :( I also can't smoke that cold. Looks like my cayennes are finished now, they were the super prolific ones anyway... the others are more managable.
kai time!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 19:08
Hey Richard, Andy's smoked Habanero powder is absolutely amazing! Too bad you can't smoke your peppers, but how aboout baking them in a 175 F oven for a bit until getting near crispy? You can then grind them for a nice fresh powder, anyway. Just a thought...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic