Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The British Isles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Corned Beef in Boston Lager

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corned Beef in Boston Lager
    Posted: 16 March 2011 at 02:55
It's not quite 06:00 here, and I have a nice corned beef brisket soaking to remove some of the salt before I crock it. It's going in my large slow cooker with some pickling spices, brown sugar and Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Why Samuel Adams rather than Guinness you might ask? Well, because I had to make barbecue sauce yesterday and that requires Sam....since i have it, that is what we'll use.

Check back throughout the day and evening...as things come to fruition I will be posting them. We'll be having the traditional onions, cabbage, potatoes and carrots and an herb batter bread that is very similar to kidlit's dill-cheese bread.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2011 at 06:15

sounds great so far, dave - it sounds very similar to the Guinness Corned Beef
that i made last year and i am sure you're going to love it!

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2011 at 15:28
Got that nice flat cut brisket all soaked and cut most of the fat cap off. Then I rubbed it with a mixture of brown sugar and pickling spices, put it in the slow cooker and let it go on low all day...poured enough Sammy on it to cover the brisket.

While I was waiting for the beef, I decided to mix up a batch of Dill Batter Loaf which is very similar to Kidlit's recipe. The only differences I could discern are the amount of dried onion, and the technique of mixing...this one is mixed in three separate steps.

Mixed it all up and put it in the oven with the light on to rise until double...it took about 90 minutes. I also had to add considerably more water than the recipe called for...at least 1/2 cup extra.

Degassed the dough after the first rise, then put it in a round 10 inch pan for the second proofing

After the second rise, I had to run out, so I popped it in the fridge to halt the fermentation until I could get back, then baked at 350° for about 35 minutes.

I have to get a casserole dish before i make it again...the sides on my pan were too short, and it rose out of the pan and drooped over. It's an ugly loaf, but a very tasty one.

By this time i was ready to put the carrots and cabbage in with the beef for the last few hours.

Steamed the potatoes and onions separately do to a lack of room, then sliced and served it all up. Darned near forgot to take pictures I was getting so hungry!

Well...guess that's about it...the beef was wonderful...not even a hint of salt....I'm glad I gave it a two hour soak.

The bread was warm and wonderful, and believe me...nobody left the table hungry.Wink
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2011 at 15:32
a beautiful irish feast! great job!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2011 at 15:50
Oh my gawd, Dave that was fantastic! That bread was downright BEE-YOU-TIFUL, what are you talking about..... no fancy dancy store bought looking loaves, please- just good old homemade jobbies that smell "wunnerful" and don't last long at all! Loved it.

Your beef was slap-down perfect too, I wish I had me a plate. That cabbage and carrots looked perfectly done- not overdone- just perfectly done. Congratulations on the supper you made and happy St. Patrick's day to you, buddy! Hug
MomInAnApron View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MomInAnApron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2011 at 19:25
YUM! I agree, the bread is PURDY!! Nice job.
got14u View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote got14u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 12:20
I like the look of the loaf....great lookin food as all ways dave
Jerod

Life's hard, it's even harder when your stupid.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2013 at 04:32
Just bumping this one up, with St. Paddy's day approaching.
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2013 at 05:06
Thanks for the info and the pix it looks great .
i will give it a try 
Ahron
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2013 at 05:14

Hoser,

Splendid looking cornbeef brisket & plating is very appetising; and the Mediterranean in me; the bread is awesome !  I love rustic breads, country style warm ... with a drizzle of Evoo and sea salt ... or Himalayan pink ...

Thanks for posting, as we are very close to Saint Patrick´s the 17th of March 2013 and thus this indeed comes in handy.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2013 at 06:35
Hoser, is there a recipe for that bread? It looks awesome! I make Irish Soda Bread, but that is very different - looks yummy! Nice job on the corned beef also, I do mine kind of like that. You didn't have any "left over" Sam Adams did ya?
Mark R
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2013 at 06:37
Ya beat me to it, Mark. I was just going to ask for the bread recipe.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 01:58
I'll see if I can locate the bread recipe guys, and as soon as I do I'll post it up.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 02:43
Thanks Hoser. Looks very easy.   
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 05:58
My humble apologies for taking so long to post this recipe......I totally forgot about it.
Was reviewing some old posts this morning and realized that mistake...so here you go.

Book: Firehouse, Family & Friend's Favorites

1 envelope active dry yeast

1/4 cup sifted flour

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons dried minced onion

1 tablespoons dill weed or dill seed

2 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup 120°-130°F water

1 cup lukewarm cottage cheese

1 lightly beaten egg

2 cups flour divided into 1/2 c and 1-1/2 c

Melted butter

Kosher salt or sea salt

_____

Preparation:

Mix together yeast, flour, baking soda, sugar, salt, onion, dill seed.

Combine the butter and warm water and gradually add to the yeast mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping occasionally.

Add cottage cheese, egg, and 1/2 c. flour. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes.

Beat in 1 1/2 c. flour to make a stiff batter.

Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk. Stir down and transfer to a well-greased 1 1/2 qt. ovenproof casserole. (I use a 9" non-stick cake pan)

Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.

Top with melted butter and a sprinkling of salt.

Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 16:49
Thanks Hoser
A baking challenge for the weekend, sounds yummy.

We are all partial to a corned silverside here, but I got into serious trouble for using the last of Mr Builder's Speight's Ale and not replacing it before he went looking for it Ouch.
Ooopsy.

Maybe I should start brewing my own. I haven't done that in thirty years (since I was an impoverished student and it was the only way we could afford beer).
Resident Peasant
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 01:53
Perhaps you should Anne...actually, it's legal over to make your own hard liquor as well....is it not?
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 02:02
Nope,
Well TBH I haven't read the act of law in yonks - but if memory serves I can't sell anything I brew and distilled is a total no-no.
I am safe with wine and beer so long as I don't sell it.
Resident Peasant
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 23:45

I went to make this tempting batter loaf for Friday tea (6pm meal), but I had no dried onions or dill seeds and the dill plants are 3” high.

I read the recipe and I get it. So I modify it to become an accompaniment to “Bangers and Mash”

mmmmmm = my substitutes

3 teaspoon active dry yeast

1/4 cup sifted flour

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 minced fresh onion

2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs

1 teaspoon fennel seeds

2 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup 120°-130°F water

1 cup lukewarm cottage cheese

1 lightly beaten egg

2 cups flour divided into 1/2 c and 1-1/2 c

Melted butter

Salt to taste

Preparation:  Exactly as above.

It’s a really good loaf! Small for my needs, so I will double it next time.

From my experience it has the hallmarks of a good method; the wet dry flavours are interchangeable so long as you don’t mess with the basic bread formula.

Winner Dave!

Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2019 at 13:36

Hoser, 

Somehow, I missed your Cornbeef & Cabbage, however this looks fabulous and so does your baked masterpiece. 

With Saint Patrick´s  Day tomorrow and Las Fallas ( The Fires of Valencia), I did a search for a cornbeef and cabbage out of curiousity to see if any one was preparing the classic .. It is also Father´s Day in Spain and Saint Joseph´s  Day. 

However, we were off last Monday (national holiday ) for the trio of holidays .. 

Have a lovely day ahead and a wonderful weekend.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic