Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

St. Joseph's Day Meatballs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: St. Joseph's Day Meatballs
    Posted: 20 March 2011 at 03:20
I had been thinking about doing some sausage for the holiday, but thought what could be more down home Italian than pasta and meatballs?
So, I got together all the ingredients I thought I might need and went at it.

First I put the ground veal, beef and pork in a large mixing bowl:

Then finely minced some garlic and tossed that in, followed by the shallots(or onion), herbs and breadcrumbs, then mixed the eggs and cream with salt and pepper, poured it over and mixed.
The key to mixing meatballs is not to overdue it! just until everything is incorporated, or they will get tough on you.

Then, keeping my hands wet took about two ounces at a time of the mix and rolled it into balls, then placed them on a baking sheet covered with that new non-stick foil that I have been raving about for the last couple of weeks. I can't say enough about the stuff...it is fantastic.

Then into a 350°F oven until their internal temp is about 150°F, which took about 25 minutes in my oven.

While the meatballs were getting done I started a simple sauce...saute'd some onions, garlic paste and mushrooms to get it going.

Then deglazed with Marsala wine and added a can of Roma tomatoes and let it reduce and get a little thicker...also added a bit of canned sauce, and a handful each of basil and oregano.

Then when it thickened up, I put the meatballs in the sauce and turned it down to a simmer for a while to let them warm up and get a little flavor from the sauce.

Plated it all up and chowed down

It wasn't easy, but we both managed to save enough room for dessert...and there can be no argument about what that is on St. Joseph's Day...it must be ZeppoleWink

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2011 at 08:14
beautiful, dave! looking really nice, and i must say your zeppole also look great! we didn't make meatballs yesterday, but we did give the zeppole a try. #1 son joe made them and i had him take pix, so they will be his first posting!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2011 at 16:15
Originally posted by Rivet Rivet wrote:

Stunningly delicious supper, Dave  Clap  That sauce looked perfect and the triple-meat balls were anything a carnivore could wish for! Nice thisk looking sauce at the end....very nicely don, and I really liked that sauce pan you used. Is that "emeril" imprinted on the handle? That's a good size pan, oven proof and the sturdy handle attachement is good to go. By the way, that steam coming off the plated pic got my mind thinking of how delicous that all must have come together....excellent post!

It is indeed "Emeril" on the pan John...made by all clad, and the best bang for the buck you'll find out there. Copper sandwich stainless steel. I've been using them for about 7 or 8 years now, and couldn't be happier with them for the price. I paid about $169.00 for a ten piece set.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 03:10
Hoser, Buon Giorno,

I had just been telling Boilmaker that I am going to prepare his Tomato Sauce with your Meatballs this morning.

I love the oven baking idea, and of course, since I am a " grease & fat buster " --- this method is marvelous.

Truly fabulous pictorial and recipe. Shall be preparing the Fireman´s Meatballs tonight and the sauce after 15.00 Hours for our 4 day wkend; it is a bank holiday here in Madrid ... Need to get the ground beef and ground pork now, so thanks again for your lovely recipe.
Ciao.
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 03:24
buon appetito Margi....I hope you enjoy them, and get to relax a bit on your holiday.Big smile

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 03:27
Buon Giorno, Hoser,

Your oven prepared meatballs were delicious. They are a perfect pair with Boilmaker´s Italian Tomato Sauce ... we truly enjoyed it.

Thanks so much for posting the recipe.

Have great weekend.

Margi.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 09:39
Mmmmm...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 12:33

Dave - was going through a few old posts and came across this (I also believe I "fixed" the photos, so that they "should" show up now). It got me hungry all over again for some good, home-made Italian meatballs!

I'm loving that tri-package of meats; I don't even remember the last time we had veal in the grocery stores here, but I may have to check with the local butcher about putting together similar "Italian" packages. I know it's been a while, but do you recall about how much meat that was in the package? I'm guessing 1.5 pounds, maybe 2?

Ron

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 01:37
Yes indeed Ron....the packages average between 1.5 and 2 pounds. Coincidentally, I just made a batch of meatballs on Monday...guess we were on the same wavelength.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 08:23
Indeed, sir!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2018 at 04:58
Hoser,

The photographs look great, and the lunch too !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic