Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Germany
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Another sauerbraten recipe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another sauerbraten recipe
    Posted: 08 February 2010 at 04:43
This recipe is courtesy of my sister-in-law who makes the best sauerbraten I've ever had.
This recipe takes considerable time...start at least three days before you plan on serving

1-6 lb beef chuck roast
1 cup red wine vinegar
2 cups dry red wine
10 whole peppercorns
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
6 whole cloves
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp lemon zest
1 onion, halved
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 sprigs parsley, chopped
2 cups beef broth
1 cup crushed gingersnaps

1. Three days before you wish to serve, combine wine, vinegar, peppercorns, salt, bay leaf, cloves, garlic, lemon zest, onion, nutmeg, celery, carrot and parsley in a large deep bowl.

2. Add beef and marinate, refrigerated for three days, turning the beef twice each day. You may find it easier to put it in a large "ziplock" bag, but put the bag in a pan just in case of leaks.

3. Remove meat from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. (Reserve Marinade)

4. Bring marinade to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.

5. Brown meat well on all sides over medium heat...this will take close to an hour....don't rush it. Pour off excess fat.

6. Add one cup of beef stock to browned meat, cover and cook over low heat for 3-1/2 hours. Check occasionally for liquid, and add more stock if necessary.

7. 30 minutes before beef is done, add all remaining marinade and beef stock.

8. When meat is done, remove from pan and strain cooking liquid....make a gravy by thickening with the crushed gingersnaps.

9. Serve with braised red cabbage and parsley potatoes or spaetzle.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 07:10
that does look nice! compliments to your sister-in-law and thanks for posting!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 07:27
Beautiful Sauerbraten! Thanks to you and your sister for sharing it.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 12:13
Here we go folks...I'm finally making a batch of sauerbraten for me and Mrs Hoser, and fotw member JPeep.
Had to start marinating today to get it done by Saturday night.

Here are all the necessary ingredients to get things going:

First we chop the onion, celery, garlic and carrot and place in a bowl

Then we add the salt, peppercorns, nutmeg, bay leaf, parsely and lemon zest

Add the vinegar and red wine...I'm using a nice pinot noir this time.

Put it all into a ziplock bag in another pan, and refrigerate. Make sure to turn the roast twice a day minimum

I will update this post as things progress...we intend to serve it Satuday evening, but another day in the marinade will not harm anything at all.

OK...Took the chuck out of the marinade, patted it dry and browned it up nicely, then added some beef broth and braised it for 3 ½ hours.

Then brought the remaining marinade to a boil and simmered it for awhile before straining it and thickening it for the gravy

Got the onion, apple and cabbage sauted and braised, and then thickened up the sauce and served....sorry there aren't more pics, but we were famished!

Success!

Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 14:37
This looks like a good way to break in my new Le Creuset roaster once I get it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 14:59
Looking excellent as usual, Hoser.....well done! Sauerbraten is such a tasty dish and perfect for this time of year. Keep the updates coming.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 06:40
Abolutely beautifully done! Clap That table seeting looks perfect and mouthwatering- great potatoes too. Now that is a feast I could sure dig in to, and enjoy. Certainly you and your guests did!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 20:48
Received my new Le Creuset 9 1/2 qt oval French oven a couple of days ago.  I'm going to make this sauerbraten in it next week.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 21:14
Originally posted by Boilermaker Boilermaker wrote:

Received my new Le Creuset 9 1/2 qt oval French oven a couple of days ago.  I'm going to make this sauerbraten in it next week.

Boilermaker, the deliciousness of sauerbraten is about the best way to break in your new pot. Many good dishes in it's future for you and your family! For now, please don't forget us with a nice post on your success.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 03:29
You sure won't regret it Andy...it's pure comfort food.Just remember to start it at least three days ahead of timeWink
dla69 View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dla69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2011 at 18:54
Looks great.

The recipe that we use thickens the gravy with crushed ginger snaps.  It adds a very nice flavor to it. 
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2011 at 19:09
I saw that in one of Alton Brown's recipes and wondered how well it worked.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 02:52
Originally posted by dla69 dla69 wrote:

Looks great.

The recipe that we use thickens the gravy with crushed ginger snaps.  It adds a very nice flavor to it. 

You're quite right DL...I've made it both ways, and the ginger snap trick adds a nice touch to the gravy.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 07:34
I picked up a nice roast the other day perhaps I should put it to good use by making a sauerbraten.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 03:32
Originally posted by Boilermaker Boilermaker wrote:

I picked up a nice roast the other day perhaps I should put it to good use by making a sauerbraten.

Just remember to start it three or four days before you want to serve it Andy, and enjoy!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic