Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Gardening
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

UUUGG, Can we Plant??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UUUGG, Can we Plant??
    Posted: 09 May 2011 at 20:16
We've had a lot of that sort of weather here this spring, I'm getting sick of the rain.
Sponsored Links

woodywoodduck View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodywoodduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 15:20
Can you all Believe that we had 2 days with NO Rain??!!

My Father-in-Law and I were able to get the Tomatoe Plants in Today.....next up either later this week or after the 15th, we will put the Pepper plants in...That is IF there is No more Rain!

FIL Tilled up the garden again yesturday, he went over it 2 times and made it nice and plantable...He told me we would get the tomato plants in today...yesturday afternoon around 3 I went out in the backyard to clean beer bottles and happened to look at the Garden, it looked like a Lake!  Seems the Neighbor decided to drain his pool cover and instead of placing the siphon hose out under his fence into the Alley, he put it right at the side of the Fence where Our Garden is At!  The Garden was SWAMPED!!

I told the FIL that there went planting Sunday, he mumbled a little...I get up this morning and he says, "I'm Planitng those Tomatoe Plants!!"

I told him he was going to get covered in MUD!

He went and planted them and you should have seen his sneakers and legs after he was done, Covered and Caked in MUD!!!
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodywoodduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 15:41
I'm getting Real Depressed over all this Rain!   AngryCry

I understand we need it but do we really need as much as we have been getting?

I need to get a good mix of 200 tomatoe and pepper plants in the field and help my buddy get his in, but we can not even plow the 2 fields!
My Truck is sitting in the driveway on blocks, I need to finish fixing the broken Leaf Spring, cann't do that because it rains and I have no garage to get it into to be out of the rain and working on it...
Want to do some Crappy Fishing, the bite has been on since the first saturday of April and the guys fishing for them regularly can only do it like I been doing with the trout, when the rain stops and the lakes and streams go back to normal levels(For maybe 1 day) we can get out!

Getting very tired of all I can do when I come home from my Morning bus run is take a nap and watch TV then back to work and then in the evening either watch TV or play around on the computer...

It is time to be outside, enjoying the world, getting my hands Dirty planting the tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, watermelons, cantalopes, beans, peas, corn, cucs and zucks, but cann't do it cause it is Rain Rain Rain Angry

I and many others need a good Dry Spell to get outside and enjoy it!  Getting Very Depressed from the rain!

Sure wish we would have gotten snow back in the winter like we are getting the rain, Atleast you can enjoy the snow (Well some folks can Enjoy it) you know what they say about an inch of rain, equals 1 foot of snow, if we would have gotten snow in the amounts of rain we got in April, we would have gotten atleast  10 feet of snow...I would have Enjoyed that Majorly!

You can fish in the rian when it is not dogs and cats and buckets coming from the heavens above and does not cause the rivers, lakes and streams to go 6 feet or more over their banks!  but you still can not plant in it because it makes it that you can not get into the fields!

We are getting MORE Rain as I type this.. 1 full day, Yesturday with No rain!
AngryCry
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 15:26
We got that last year here in New England Woody...what they called the 100 year flood, but on the flip side, it was one of the nicest and warmest summers ever.

Keep the faith bubba..it'll all work out.
Go ahead...play with your food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 12:37
our "officail" growing season doesn't begin until about the 15th of may - so we've got some time yet. unfortunately i didn't get anything started this eyar except some tomatoes that the cats ended up killing, so much of what we do in our garden will be started already in a greenhouse and we will ahe to buy it.

i will also try some corn, beans, beet, and other things that i will plant in the ground when the time comes.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodywoodduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 12:29
Man, when you need Rain, the rain does not come!  But when you do not need it and do not want it, it comes in Cats and Dogs Down Pours and Buckets Dumped from the Heavens!

We in Central PA were close to going over 10 inchs of rain for April!  We could not get in the fields to plow and till them to plant, We are so Far behind, Farmers are sitting watching Fields be nothing but LAKES!  Gardeners are looking at Gardens that are either small Streams or small ponds!

I got lucky yesturday, only a month Behind on getting them in, but got my Broccoli, Coliflower and Cabbage in, a month late all due to the rain and could not till the garden up to plant!

Hopefully it does not get overly hot in June and I come out with a nice crop of those 3!  I want to be able to make some more homemade sourkraut!

I'm thinking of putting the Tomatoes and Peppers in today, take the chance of no more frost and put them in, incase if it decides to rain all of May, they are in and hopefully will live and not Drown from to much water!

They are calling for more storms to roll in tonight...UUUGGGGG, We got enough Already!!
Anyone else dealing with this??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic