Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The British Isles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

medieval honey-almond cheesecake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: medieval honey-almond cheesecake
    Posted: 04 May 2011 at 13:12
please note - the recipe has now been corrected and the version here is the right one to use. thanks to randynva for setting the record straight! - ron

not sure if this is actually from medieval times, but it is pretty dang good. it comes from a book caled "how to cook forsoothly," published by the anachronism society.
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 lb. (one stick) butter or amrgarine
  • 1 lb. cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup sifted flour
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 5 eggs, separated, whites beaten stiff but not dry
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half
  • 1 tsp. almond extract
  • 1/2 cup ground almonds
  • fruit or other topping, if desired

cream the butter and sugar together until well-blended, add the cheese, and cream until mixture is fluffy. blend in flour and honey, then the egg yolks. beat well. add cream and extract, then lightly fold in the egg whites. fold in the almonds with a few strokes.

pour into a well-buttered, 9-inch spring-form pan, set on a low rack in a pre-heated 325-degree oven and bake one hour. turn off heat and allow to cool in the door closed for one hour. remove from pan and chill. add topping of your choice.

the most common topping is, of course, a fruit in a glaze, or preserves; but for a special feast, a good effect can be obtained by setting a circle of small marzipan fruits around the edge of the cheesecake and filling the center with a thick, bright-colored preserve or jam.

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

randynva View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randynva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 20:13
I made this cake today and the recipe can't be right. It calls for 1 lb. of butter. At least half of the butter oozed out of the cake creating a mess in the oven and on the kitchen counters. If anyone is tempted to try this recipe then be sure to use half or less of the listed butter.
randy
randynva View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randynva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 20:19
I just did a search for the cookbook and found the recipe. It says to use 1/4 lb. butter, not 1 lb.

http://home.nwi.net/~ladyalys/Alys%27sReceiptBoke.html#Cakes
randy
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2011 at 09:39
hi, randy, and thanks for joining the FOTW. i agree with your assessment of the recipe and apologize for the error. my wife is the one who wrote down the recipe and made it for my son a couple of years ago, and i can only guess that somethng was lost in the transcription.

hope that things go more smoothly in the future, and once again thanks for your efforts.

ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2011 at 12:08
please note! the original recipe up at the top of the page has now been fixed!
historiccook View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote historiccook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 12:02
It is an adapted recipe from a medieval original... if you want the original source, I can find it in a matter of days...seem to remember it is from forme of cury though...late 14th cent
the historic cook
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 12:07
>>>if you want the original source, I can find it in a matter of days...seem to remember it is from forme of cury though<<<

i say go for it ~ that's what the site is all about! for some reason, i thought i came across a similar, version of this (from the same time period) in italy, or perhaps germany or austria ~ can't remember which, for sure....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic