Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Tools of the Trade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

The one tool you just couldn't do without?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The one tool you just couldn't do without?
    Posted: 09 February 2010 at 07:14
I'm just a bit curious as to what your favorite tools may be in the kitchen. What is it that you just absolutely could not be without?
A blender?
Processor?
Favorite knife?
Peeler?
The list is obviously way too long for me to go over all of them, but I'll start by listing mine.
Kitchenaid Mixer

I use that thing for everything from making pasta to bread, sausage...you name it. You'd have as much trouble getting that away from me as you would my gunWink

What's your favorite?

Edited by Hoser - 09 February 2010 at 16:35
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

got14u View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote got14u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 07:23
boy I'm not sure but I just bought a kitchenaid commercial mixer like yours. I'm hoping I use it as much as you do.
Jerod

Life's hard, it's even harder when your stupid.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 09:55
i would love to have a kitchen-aid mixer, and if anyone ever sees a basic unit at a really good price, please let me know.

until then, the tool i can't do without is my handy kitchen knife and wooden cutting board! i use it for pretty much everything.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 10:33
Man I love that kitchen aid mixer, and am jealous of you two for having one. I just don't have the counter space for one nor the cabinetry to hide it in. I guess my favorite kitchen tool is my long, bib-type, all cotton white apron..much like a butchers apron. I don't cook without it. Besides that, I'd have to go with my chopping knife and wooden board.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 11:24
Big smile I guess we're all kinda sentimental about at least one knife huh?

I think my chef's knife would be my 2nd choice, and probably my Thermapen would be my third.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 13:08
My Fiskars cooking scissors
Hillbilly View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 13:50
Mine would be my wife.  Without her I'd be eating fried vienna sausages and pickled eggs a lot. Big smile
But, seriously...mine would be my ulu.

My wife says it's her Kitchen-Aid artisan (with ALL the gadgety add-ons).
I didn't get this big LOOKIN at food.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 04:58
Ulu...your referring to the knife right?, not the musical group? Wink
Hillbilly View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 19:36
Yep, the crecent shaped knife-like doohickey (that's a technical term)LOL
I didn't get this big LOOKIN at food.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2010 at 03:48
I don't have a Kitchenaid, would like one for making pizza dough.

I have some odd things that were not intended for what I regularly use them, and they are favorites because of their utility.

• My son's broken mini blender/juicer..   this isn't actual pic, but will give you idea.
He discarded this mini blender, he was using it for juicing fruit and making his own health drinks.  I resurrected it for grinding spices, and before the plastic cracked used it for fast blending small quantities of wet stuff.

• I love these long Stainless tongs, they are old maybe 30 years or more.  I got them from my mom years ago.  I hate the newer ones with the coating on the tips they just don't grab and hold like this old one.  I don't just use them for grabbing hot food, I use them to prop food up in pans when browning, they are long so they get lots of use around my gas and charcoal grills.  I would really be disappointed to lose or break this.

• This stainless spatula gets used almost daily, notice it is smallish, it is made of quality stainless and won't bend, the blade part is not very wide so it is great for reaching into the oven and turning something without hitting a rack above or broiler elements.  But where it really shines is for sauces, our pots and pans are heavy stainless with a very heavy thick bottoms, meats when browning will stick to the stainless, and this stainless spatula easily gets the stuck meat bits up.  Same for soup or chowders when flour sticks to bottom, or spaghetti sauce if the burner is too hot and sauce is sticking to the bottom of the pan.  This little baby has such a thin blade on the tip that it easily lifts stuck stuff, great for deglazing, and cutting.  I have used it so much that the blade tip is almost as sharp as a knife, often I will use it like a knife to cut meats in a hot pan without having to reach for a knife.
Again if I lost this little gem it would really make me sad.

The baking powder can is for scale

Montana Maddness View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 16:42
Kitchen Aid mixer, and my Chef knife. Hard to say which one I would miss the most.Hummmmmmmmmm
Hotter the better bring on the peppers!
okie joe View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okie joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 17:22
Chef Knife  9 inch Chi town cuttlery /my fav cutting board?
 Glad ya got the Kitchen Aid  hey both my Boys got one...Go figure.
Too rich for my billfold....
basic kinda guy ........
but I would love to have one.
Cowboy Cooking, Dutch Oven Cooking, Smoking Meat, Sausage, Cheese, Bread making But always ready to Learn
Fire it up View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fire it up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 21:51
I use my spice grinder more than anything in the kitchen, I grind every spice I can whole, somewhere there is a shaker of black pepper collecting dust and just tonight ended up running out of peppercorns.
kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 02:54
My blender. I love my blender. It completes me. I don't use it every day unless its berry season (smoothies!) but probably ever second day... even though it isn't my most used tool, it makes me happy every time I see it demolish something.

Second would be my muddler, it was hand turned for me from a lovely old piece of recycled Rimu. In a previous life it was a sleeper in a bush railway.
kai time!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 03:01
That's a beautiful blender, Kiwi...is that the model you have? Very pretty. Congratulations on your work of art muddler..Mint Julep Time!!!!
3montes View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3montes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2010 at 21:00
My pepper grinder and my mortar and pestle. For some reason I am constantly digging my mortar and pestle out of the diswasher. I feel the mortar and pestle is the most overlooked tool in the chefs arsenal...
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."- James Beard
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 18:00
 My Cuisinart Custom 11 food processor has a place of honor on my kitchen counter.
kiwi View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 19:06
Originally posted by Rivet Rivet wrote:

That's a beautiful blender, Kiwi...is that the model you have? Very pretty. Congratulations on your work of art muddler..Mint Julep Time!!!!
opps missed that yeah that's the blender I have, it is amazing and I would definitely recommend it.

I may have a new contender for favourite though - I just had to zest a whole lot of citrus, and used my microplane. wow talk about making a job easier!

it's also great for parmesan, nutmeg, ginger, anything you grate fine...
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 04:32
Those microplanes are great! I broke the handle off mine from over use, I guess, or maybe the dishwasher destroyed the plastic, not sure. I got a new one, but it isn't nearly as good as the first.
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 16:28
Kitchenaid mixer, my knives, and my pepper grinder!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic