Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Pollo a la Chilindr贸n

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pollo a la Chilindr贸n
    Posted: 06 May 2011 at 09:08
From Time/Life's Foods of the World - The Cooking of Spain and Portugal, 1969:

Pollo a la Chilindr贸n
Saut茅ed Chicken with Peppers, Tomatoes and Olives

The colourful and flavourful pollo a la chilindr贸n combines chicken with peppers, onions, black and green olives, and tomatoes.

To serve 4:

A 2.5- to 3-pound chicken, cut into 6 to 8 serving pieces
Salt
Freshly-ground black pepper
1/4 cup oilive oil
2 large onions, cut lengthwise in half, then into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1 teaspoon finely-chopped garlic
3 small, sweet red or green peppers, seeded, de-ribbed and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1/2 cup finely-chopped serrano ham or substitute other lean, smoked ham
6 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely-chopped
6 pitted black olives, cut in half
6 pitted green olives, cut in half

Pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels and sprinkle them liberally with salt and a few grindings of pepper. In a heavy, 10- to 12-inch skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it. Brown the chicken a few pieces at a time, starting them skin-side down and turning them with tongs. Regulate the heat so that the chicken colours quickly and evenly without burning. As the pieces become a rich brown, transfer them to a plate.

Add the onions, garlic, peppers and ham to the fat remaining in the skillet. Stirring frequently, cook for 8 to 10 minutes over moderate heat until the vegetables are soft but not brown. Add the tomatoes, raise the heat and cook briskly until most of the liquid in the pan evaporates and the mixture is thick enough to hold its shape lightly with a spoon. Return the chicken to the skillet, turning the pieces about with a spoon to coat them evenly with the sauce; then cover tightly and simmer over low heat for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender but not falling apart. Stir in the olives and taste for seasoning. Transfer the entire contents of the skillet to a heated serving bowl or deep platter and serve at once.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

KateC View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2012 at 10:54
This is an AWESOME recipe. When I was a teenager I taught myself to cook something other than standard New England fare using The Foods of the World series. This is one of the first dishes I made. I've since made it for weddings, functions, served it as restaurant dinner specials,etc. I've made it a million times. More often than not I make it using boneless chicken breasts rather than the whole chicken. It's good hot or at room temperature, freezes well and can easily be multiplied. This dish always looks like you put a lot of time into it as it's colorful and showy. Use 1/2 red bell peppers and 1/2 green bell peppers and it's a visually impressive dish as well as delicious! Try it! I will become a favorite. All it needs is rice and a salad!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2012 at 11:32
Tongue Tas and Katie,

This is a historic Spanish dish that has its origins in Arag贸n Province, northeast of Madrid. It is very tasty.

Thanks for posting.
Margi.  
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 09:33
Uploaded a photo in the original post, so that everyone could get a good look at this work of art ~ this is one that i've been meaning to try for a long time, but have never had the ingredients and the time to cook it at the same time!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:56
Tas, This is a delightful dish with full flavors ... It is also prepared with milk fed baby lamb in Aragon. Fab photo selection in cazuela I must add !  I had posted a Chilindr贸n Chicken or Lamb which I obtained from a wonderful trip to both Zaragoza and the rurals of Huesca, the Arag贸nese Pyrenees ...

Each tavern and each family, has their own special recipe ... the key ingredients are the red and green peppers ...

Kindest,
Margaux. LOL
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 14:59
We're making this dish today - or, at least, a close approximation of it.

My #2 son is making it while we are at work, and we'll have it for tonight's supper. The recipe is easy and clearly-written, so he shouldn't have any trouble with it.

We don't have any Serrano ham, so some other sliced, smoked ham will substitute. I'm not sure if we have all of the peppers, either, and if we do, they will be red, yellow and orange, rather than green - but I suspect that will be no problem.

We'll see how it turns out, but I am guessing that we'll see some nice things!

Ron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2016 at 10:19
This turned out very well! Execution wasn't perfect, but it was sure delicious, and according to him it was very easy to make. Because of this, I am sure that it will end up in our usual rotation.

We served this with zucchini that had been sliced into short strips and roasted with a little olive oil, salt and smoked paprika. In my opinion, it was a good side dish for this quintessential Spanish favourite.

If you haven't yet tried Pollo a la Chilindr贸n, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. It doesn't get any easier than this, and the flavours are incredible!
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2016 at 07:01
    The dish sure does look versatile...a few spice changes here, a few technique adaptations there...and you have a very different tasting dish.   

Nicely done
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2016 at 08:54
The "skillet chicken" idea has been serving us well, lately. We have been getting a lot of very easy, very good-tasting weeknight suppers simply by browning chicken thighs or boneless/skinless breasts in the cast-iron skillet, then adding any number of different things to end up with a pretty darn nice meal.

When I saw this recipe again last week, it struck me that it can easily be adapted to the same method we've been using, and the results were worth it.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2016 at 09:58
WOW ..  Wonderful ..  I see your " BARRO " ( earthenware ) ..  Looks used !  This is good sign ..

I  once posted an Aragonese r茅cipe for this dish in Iberia ..   Off top, I do not recall all the similarities or differences however,  I also use one of my ancient earthenwares ..

It is a wonderful early autumn dish .. 

Enjoy .. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic