Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The British Isles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Scotch Eggs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 12:32
@ Karl.

Stunning eggs. Thanx for posting and fotos.

Margi
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 12:53
@ Historic Foodie,

Both of these recipes, your´s and the those Fuschia stunners are  Tapas here in Madrid ...
Interesting and once again pleased to see that you have joined.
Kindesst-

Margi.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 08:21
When I make them with quail eggs they are served as a tapa, Margi, either as-is, or, sometimes, with a ham gravy.

For the latter, I'll knap a small plate with a puddle of the gravy. Then make a triangle of three of the eqqs centered on the plate, and a fourth one pyromided on those three.
Marissa View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2012 at 08:23
Even as a vegetarian, something about Scotch Eggs called to me.  I attempted a vegetarian version once using a "fake meat" (I never usually eat "fake meats" as I grew up without them and find them to be odd...if you miss meat so much, eat it!).  It wouldn't hold together, probably because of the lower fat content.  Now that I have finally taken the plunge into the meat eating world, and am for the most part, enjoying it, I'm going to have to give these a shot!
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 23:17

I finally took a photo of a batch of Scotch eggs that I made. 
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 08:46
they look great, karl!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2014 at 19:21
I just got to try these, although they were called "Irish Eggs." They were delicious, and I don't even LIKE hard boiled eggs!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 05:13
Sometimes, Melissa, there are things we don't care for in their "raw" state that we find delicious when processed into something else.

Friend Wife, for instance, claims to not like eggs. Turns out, what she doesn't like are eggs that look like eggs (does that make sense?). So, while she won't eat a plain hard-boiled egg, she devours these Scotch eggs.

To put a point on it, she loves Ceasar salad, with the original dressing. And that uses a raw egg (or, nowadays, a slightly coddled one).

I'm glad you found another taste treat to enjoy.

I've never heard them called Irish eggs before. Where were they served that way?
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 07:22
I suspect I don't like COLD hard boiled eggs, but hot is ok. I love scrambled eggs.

They were appetizers at this local Irish pub: http://www.pignwhistleatthegrove.com/ I saw that, and said "Hey, aren't those the Scotch Eggs from the FOTW board?" So it's thanks to this board that I tried them.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 09:30
Looks like an interesting place, Melissa. I assume they're a regular restaurant as well as doing all that catering?
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 19:35
Yes. My sister and brother-in-law go there a lot. We had a family get-together for his birthday.The eggs were a big hit.
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2014 at 17:15
With Easter coming up again this is just too evil to not post:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/03/cadbury-creme-scotch-egg-recipe.html

Cadbury Scotch Eggs
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2014 at 18:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN03MUqeUa4
BriCan View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriCan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 19:14
Just browsing this thread; something that I tossed together .. Scotch egg wrapped with Lincolnshire sausage meat 

But what do I know
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 19:37
Nice!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2015 at 00:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLxAIte7KF0  BBQ Scotch eggs
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2015 at 11:20
Hey, Karl. Welcome back. Where you been hiding?
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2015 at 13:55
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Hey, Karl. Welcome back. Where you been hiding?

Work mostly but I am never too far away when food is involved. 
eranils31 View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eranils31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 20:38
I'll try tonight!
please suscribe at http://so-easycooking.blogspot.com and learn the famous chefs techniques
drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2015 at 15:40
Brican, I am not that fond of hard cooked/hard boiled eggs, I really prefer them about as your post shows them
How did you get them to that stage of doneness?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic