Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Latin America > Mexico and Central America
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Menudo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Menudo
    Posted: 09 February 2010 at 16:16

This is my recipe for menudo. I start with 4 pounds of tripe cut, I get it this way already cut and cleaned. I put

this is my dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes, drain and rinse, this will

remove alot of the fat. Return to dutch oven,  cover with water and one tablespoon of kosher salt.Bring back

to a boil and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile in a sauce pan I cut up one habanero, three anaheim

chilis, one white onion and about five cloves of garlic. Sweat this mixture then add the 7oz can of herdez

salsa ranchera and a 29oz can of hominy rinsed. I also add menudo mix which you can find in the hispanic

section. Its oregano, chili pepper flakes and some other spices. Add to taste. Set this off to the side and add

after the tripe is cooked. Reseason and enjoy with tortillas and some lime wedges and fresh cilantro. "Side

note" this mixture will have habanero, anaheim and red pepper flakes and from the salsa...jalapeno, ancho,

and cascabel peppers. I also like to add a little dry cayenne. I think the different peppers really give it a good

taste.Personally I like it quite hot, you can adjust the ingredients to taste. Olay

I still ain't eating snails!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 16:22
this is something i've never tried; i'll admit, the tripe aprt is a little scary. how's it taste?
got14u View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote got14u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 22:45
Nice post....We the family love menudo...best thing in the winter time. I do like the tripe cut up in to small pieces. that is one thing I didn't like about my mother in laws but wow what a great soup...a definite staple in the mexican dishes
Jerod

Life's hard, it's even harder when your stupid.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 05:12
That looks like a great healthy recipe, Ozzy but I just can't get around the smell. I've tried to eat it many times before, the last time this past summer when I bought a can at the Mexcian Grocery store. As soon as I opened it, I knew there was no way and I put it in the compost heap. Nice post for those who like it htough, keep up those great family recipes!

Edited by Rivet - 11 February 2010 at 04:53
ozzy View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 03:22
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

this is something i've never tried; i'll admit, the tripe aprt is a little scary. how's it taste?
  OH come on now, this is foods of the world.  I personally could eat this dish every day and not miss any other dishes ever.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 07:02
>>>OH come on now, this is foods of the world.<<<

good point!Wink
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 11:28
Originally posted by ozzy ozzy wrote:

OH come on now, this is foods of the world.  I personally could eat this dish every day and not miss any other dishes ever.
You'll eat that and won't even try escargot bourginoine in garlic butter?
Something very wrong with that picture.
Go ahead...play with your food!
ozzy View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 22:51
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

Originally posted by ozzy ozzy wrote:

You'll eat that and won't even try escargot bourginoine in garlic butter?
Something very wrong with that picture.
  I have tried them actually, In my opinion BUGS are not food.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 03:28

Well, I guess I'd give it a try...at least once

Go ahead...play with your food!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 04:47
Well, I've eaten two kinds of snails and liked them both! Escargot in the sizzling garlic butter as well as sea snail or "conch" ceviche, both delicious. As far as bugs not being food that's all relative....they are if you are hungry enough!  Tongue
ozzy View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 19:08
Ive eaten conch before, not bad.
Montana Maddness View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 13:53
For those of you who like a few stiff drinks. Medudo is the best hang over med known to man. Back whaen I drank we always had this stuff in the frig. Big old bowl of hot menudo and some water. Ready to go at it again tonightEvil Smile
I have had snails several ways and all of them where Bad in my opinion!
Hotter the better bring on the peppers!
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2010 at 17:47
I get Menudo from a local Tex-Mex place about once a month. It comes with fresh cut onions and cilantro, and hot pepper flakes and dried oregano on the side. I add a squeeze or two of fresh lime juice and eat it with warm tortillas.

Now, I like this stuff a lot, but they make it by the bucket full for sale every weekend and they aren't so picky about trimming the meat products that go into the pot. So, I'll get bones and big gobs of fat and stuff that I would have eliminated if I was making it at home.

Five USD for close to a quart of soup with lots of "meat", two BIG flour tortillas and all the trimmings (plus a side of pickled carrots, onions and jalapenos.) I leave a dollar tip for take out and always get two meals out of one order.

I LIKE Menudo!

Hungry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 04:11
You guys are hard core.
ozzy View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 16:44
Originally posted by Rivet Rivet wrote:

You guys are hard core.
I'll give you a shiny nickel if you try it! Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic