Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Greece
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Kamela Psiti ...Roast Camel Aristotle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kamela Psiti ...Roast Camel Aristotle
    Posted: 10 February 2010 at 12:51
This recipe is from "The Complete Greek Cookbook" by Theresa Karas Yianilos

Today, The camel is a gastronomical oddity to the western world. Greeks actually no longer consider it to be edible, but in ancient times camel meat was served to royalty. Aristophenes mentions camel meat in his writings, and Aristotle praised it as being very tasty.

Kamela Psiti
Good Lord! can you believe I found a picture of a roast camel? LOL

Allow 1 pound of meat per person, hump, stomach or feet

Marinade:
1 cup olive oil
juice of two lemons
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp coriander

Mix marinade and pour over camel...marinate for 4 hours, turning occasionally.
Bake for 2-3 hours at 325° F, or allow 30 minutes per pound.

Edited by Hoser - 10 February 2010 at 13:08
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 12:56
i'll be danged - this is a perfect example of what we are trying to do here! outstanding post!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 14:04
Outstanding addition to the site, Dave, wonderfully perfect example as Ron said about what this is all about! Even if we don't make it, stuff like this may inspire someone to get creative. As well, all our modern dishes came from somewhere, some derivation, and each has an interesting background to go with it.

Great post, and impressive picture, at the very least. Wow. Don't think it would fit in our oven, though........
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 15:09
In a cookbook called International Cuisine, presented by California Home Economics Teachers, 1983 (ISBN 0-89626-051-8), you will find:

Stuffed Camel

1 whole camel, medium size
1 whole lamb, large size
20 whole chickens, medium size
60 eggs
12 kilos rice
2 kilos pine nuts
2 kilos almonds
1 kilo pistachio nuts
110 gallons water
5 pounds black pepper
Salt to taste

Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken. Boil until tender. Cook rice until fluffy. Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice. Hard boil eggs and peel. Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice. Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens. Add more rice. Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice. Broil over large charcoal pit until brown. Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice. Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts. Serves friendly crowd of 80-100.

Shararazod Eboli Home Economist, Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Collected by Bert Christensen
Toronto, Ontario
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 10:49
Now I wanna find some camel meat!!!Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic