Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Greece
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pahgoni psito meh ola ta ptera (Peacock w/Plumage)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Pahgoni psito meh ola ta ptera (Peacock w/Plumage)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pahgoni psito meh ola ta ptera (Peacock w/Plumage)
    Posted: 10 February 2010 at 13:42

Three thousand years ago, peacocks, peahens, and their eggs were considered to be a great delicacy. There were special dishes for cooking the eggs. Today peacock is no longer eaten in Greece. Originally bred on the island of Samos, the peacock became so outrageously expensive that one ancient Greek art lover, named Anaxandrided said "Isn't it crazy to keep peacocks in the house when for all that money you can buy two statues?"

Above is the actual dish on a silver platter. The peacock has been carefully skinned, roasted and then had the skin pulled back over it for preasentation at a Tudor banquet

1 large peacock

Stuffing:
chopped liver (from peacock)
1 cup currants or raisins
1 cup chopped nuts

Basting Sauce:
1/2 cup oil or butter
1 cup wine
1 tsp each marjorum,savory, thyme
chopped parsley
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste

When you order the fowl, give instructions to the poultry man to prepare and dress the bird, to skin it carefully and not to chop off the head or feet, and to truss the legs to the breast.

When preparing to bake the fowl, spread the tailfeathers in a fan and set aside to use as decoration later. Oil a large baking pan and place the fowl in it. Wrap the head with damp cloth to protect it while baking.

Mix the stuffing and fill the cavity. Mix the basting sauce and baste fowl. Continue to baste while baking. Roast 2 hours in preheated oven at 350°.

Allow to cool 30 minutes and decorate for presentation. Gild feet and beak with gold nail polish. Put tail feathers in place. Place a piece of cotton soaked in whiskey in the beak. Light the cotton on fire as the bird is being served. Place the peacock on a bed of parsley. Arrange flowers, leaves and jewelry all around it.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 14:10
Oh man, I love the "flaming beak" part! My kinda serving idea! Thanks for sharing another wonderful part of culinary history, Dave. I wonder who got to keep the jewelry? Smile
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 14:12
dave, it looks like some of the title got cut off - what should come after the "roast peacock with..."

i'll see if i can fix it!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 14:14
Thanks Ron, I was wondering if there was some ancient Greek humor going on trying to cook a peacocks humor or "wit" LOL
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 14:14
It's supposed to read "with plumage" no big deal if you can't fix it.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 14:17
i think there might actually be one in the fotw book, italy - possibly germany. john, when you get home, perhaps you could take a look? it would be enar the beginning of the book.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 14:19
well, it's not perfect, but i did edit the title a bit in a way that will hopefully spark interest ~ enjoy!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic