Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Kalimotxo Short ribs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kalimotxo Short ribs
    Posted: 29 September 2011 at 16:23
Saw a recipe in my latest issue of Cuisine At home that reached right out and grabbed me....I knew I had to try this sooner or later, so here we go.

Kalimotxo is a Spanish concoction from Basque country, consisting of a 50-50 combination of good red wine and cola. In this recipe we brown the short ribs and give them a good long braise in the kalimotxo and a myriad of wonderful seasonings.

I started out by simply seasoning the ribs with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper.

Then browned them in two batches while I diced up the celery, carrots , onion and garlic.

Put the ribs to one side and then placed the mire poix in the pan to sweat for about 8-10 minutes

Added the 3 Tbsp garlic, 3 Tbsp pimenton, 2 Tbsp anchovy paste, 2 Tbsp tomato paste, a couple of bay leaves and let it all sweat for two more minutes.

Deglazed the pan with 1/2 cup of sherry...let it cook til almost dry, then added two cups each of temperanillo red wine and cola....brought that to a boil, then put it in the slow cooker.

Let it go on low for about 7 hours, then removed the ribs, strained the solids out of the sauce and placed it in a saute pan. Brought it to a boil, and thickened with a cornstarch slurry.

When the sauce thickened up nicely, put the ribs back in it to warm up and served with mashed taters and steamed broccoli. 

Folks...you really have to try this recipe...the combination of red wine, garlic, cola is difficult to describe . The word that immediately springs to mind is "magnificent"!

Do yourselves a favor and try this when you get a chance...it truly is wonderful comfort food.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 22:03
dave - this looks magnificent indeed! i love the colour, love the look and would love to try this!
we aren't able to get short ribs often, but i am thinking that chuck might make a good substitute. what say you? try it with chuck, or hold out for a time when we can get short ribs?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 02:20
I'm sure it would be fine with chuck as well Ron...there will just not be quite as much fat to render out and get nice and tender. But like any braise, I'm sure any normally tougher cut would work very well.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2011 at 16:39
hey, dave - i'm definitey going to give this a try; possibly next weekend, which will coincide with a payday and the arrival of our "new" camera (long story). i'd love to do this with short ribs, because yours look REALLY good, but depending on availability and prices, i'll probably use chuck roast cut into large chunks.

as far as wine goes, i'll keep an eye out for the temperanillo, but i don't recall seeing in locally. any suggestions for a good substitute? not knowing how temperanillo tastes, i don't have anything to compare it to.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2011 at 03:38
I'm sure the chuck would work just fine Ron. I used the short ribs because out here they are not expensive at all...just a little more than chuck. Chuck is going for about 3.89 lb and short ribs were 4.49...since it's just the two of us, not much difference price wise.

Let us know how you make out....can't wait to hear the camera story.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2011 at 12:35
going to try this today - a couple of slight moderations due to what we have on hand, but most of it will be the same. will report on results!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 13:58
Hoser and Tas,
Sounds fabulous. I would sub a Malbec from Argentina if you do not come across oak aged Tempranillo 100% grape Mono Varietal from the Spanish D.O. Ribera del Duero or a La Rioja red. 
Hoser: Tas recommended this recipe to me as I can do some research too and see how and which Basque products I can obtain. The Basque Cattle lands are some of the best in the world.

Hoser: Thanks alot for posting and it looks delicious.

Margi
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 08:28

KALIMOTXO is the Basque word for KA LI MO CHO in Spanish or in Mexico, CALIMOCHO
and its ingredients are red wine with coca cola soda.  Numerous South American Countries have their version of VINO CORTADO ( cut wine or wine mixed with another liquid ); Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Mexico all have their individual versions as does Spain. www.es.wikipedia.org/vinoconcola  

TXO in Basque is CHO in Spanish.

Sounds like an interesting marinade for the short ribs.

And knowing Hoser´s talents behind the flames, I am sure it is quite delicious.

Thanks for contributing such an interesting recipe.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 09:16
This is super stuff, Margi - when I tried it:

I used beef ribs carved from a prime rib roast and a rump roast. It wa easily one of me favourite pictorials.

Dave found a wonderful thing when he found this, and I would love to see it made with real kalimotxo and other Iberian ingredients, which is one of the things that makes Basque cooking so nice!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 13:56
Good Morning Tas,

I have list of several  Basque dish websites, in Spanish to research for you, as my hard cover books do not mention this cocktail, which is originally from South America and Mexico.

This town  and its gastronomy is quite steeped in historic Basque Novelle Cuisine and the movement of Chefs Luis Irizar, Juan Mari Arzak and Pedro Subijana amongst other master Chefs. 
I shall report on findings and check with several Basque chefs I have intervwd for their recipes.
HOSER AND TAS:

I like Hosers take on this recipe tremendously and very much, would enjoy finding out all the details on this Wine Cola concoction and I shall see if we can find this soda wine too.
Patience as I am Moving Sunday nine am.
Ciao,
Mar
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 06:25
Tas, Good Morning.
CHEF KARLOS ARGUIÑANO, a native Basque Chef  has told me that the Basque Vizcaínos ( natives of the province of  Vizcaya) have a dish which is quite similar to the French Coq au Vin which is one of the dishes which employs Kamimotxo, prepared with chicken and they combine 1 litre red wine and 1 litre coca cola thus, this is also a cocktail for those who wish to have a mixed cocktail, and it  has become popular since the year 1972, in the Puerto Viejo de Algorta, in Getxo, Bizkaia. Its origins stem from several South American countries and Mexico including: Uruguay, Argentina, Chile and Mexico.
In both the USA and Spain, it is very common to have a Tinto de Verano, red wine combined with Club Soda or Lemon Soda and a few drops of Cassis and possibly other cordials combined and served on ice.

*** See photos below.

Basque Cocktail Kalimotxo.

Basque Cocktail Kalimotxo.

Rabo de Buey.

www.karlos.net ( Chef Karlos Arguiñano ).

CHEF KARLOS ARGUIÑANO´s  RABO DE BUEY O RABO DE TORO O POLLO CON KALIMOTXO ...
( Chef Karlos Arguiñano´s Beef Tails with Red Wine & Coca Cola ) ...

*** SEE THE INGREDIENTS BELOW FOR THE RECIPE FOR RABO DE BUEY CON KALIMOTXO BELOW ...

Chicken can be employed in a similar French classic dish called Coq qu Vin.

Ingredients for the Recipe:

1 1/2 kilos beef tails or ox tails or Chicken parts of choice
1 onion minced finely
2 leeks diced finely
2 carrots diced finely
5 garlic cloves minced
1 litre red wine
1 litre coca cola
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
fresh parsley
Evoo
1 green bell pepper sliced finely in julienne strips
2 red bell peppers sliced finely in julienne strips

Jote in Santiago de Chile.

Getxo, Vizcaya.

Kalimotxo is called Kaligrifo in Bars Colloquially.

I hope this assists.
Kind regards.
Margi.  

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 09:03
hi, margi - it makes perfect sense that this would be popular with oxtail and chicken, as it is really a great combination of flavours and also impressions. certainly worth a try with nearly any meat, i am guessing!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 09:08
Tas,

I would believe it would work too, with a variety of meat types and cuts.

The sauce is the key to the success and the tenderness of the meat chosen. Furthermore, it is a fairly easy concoction to prepare too.

Thanks for your feedback. I do have Hoser´s recipe  and your pictorial for trying them both  as given.

Kind regards.
Margi.  
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 05:06
I'll be doing a beef tenderloin kalimotxo style this 
Saturday evening....will let you all know how it comes out.

From the looks of things, we will be having a "snowed in party" with several close friends.
I'm glad they drive Jeeps Wink
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 06:49
Stay warm, Dave - a big pot of Kalimotxo beef will help, of course!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 02:24
The kalimotxo was a huge hit Saturday night, and we only got a few inches of snow...nothing serious.

Here is the recipe I used Saturday...I adapted it a bit, and like it better than the original

Kalimotxo Beef

1 3-4 lb beef tenderloin
1 large carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 leeks white and pale part only, diced
3 Tbsp minced garlic
3 Tbsp pimenton (smoked paprika)
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp orange zest
2 Tbsp anchovy paste(about 1/2 small can)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Cups coca cola
2 cups red wine
1/2 cup sherry

Season the beef liberally with salt and pepper and brown well over medium-high heat.
Remove beef and add carrots, celery and leeks and sweat for about 8 minutes. Place beef in large slow cooker. 
Add garlic , tomato paste, anchovy paste,bay leaves, orange zest and pimenton and saute for several minutes.
Deglaze pan with sherry and cook until almost dry...then add cola and red wine. Mix well and pour over beef in slow cooker....cook on low setting 6-8 hours.
Remove beef from cooker and cover tightly with foil. Strain the reserved cooking liquid into a saucepan and thicken with a cornstrach slurry if desired.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic