Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fruits, Nuts, Fungi and Vegetables
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Sea Vegetables

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspen Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea Vegetables
    Posted: 05 October 2011 at 09:22
Yes, sea weeds, they are considered vegetables.  There are several species available and one I am enjoying is called Dulce.  I have it as dried flakes.  It is WONDERFUL in seafood chowders and sprinkled on salads.

Sea weed is highly nutritious as well and is one of the best and true sources of dietary Iodine.

Any of the rest of you using sea weed and if so, besides sushi, how do you use and prepare it?
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 09:25
i've seen a lot of it in my reading on japanese cooking, and also i remember reading something about pickled KELP that is popular on the west coast...

(yep, a quick search turned up a picture, and i think i have a recipe at home...will post later)

being landlocked as i am in montana, i've never tried it, but everything i've read about it says that it is good, as well as very nutritious.

there is a store in helena (200 miles from here) that might have some in dried form. i do intend to get some the next time we are there, so i can try a couple of japanese things, including dashi, which is a basic staple for that cuisine. more on that what the time comes.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Aspen Hill View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspen Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 09:30
It is very good.  I found it locally in the 'twigs and nuts' market and there are also online sources.  I like Living Tree:

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 10:29
ann, thaanks for posting that link. i checked out the site and it looks like a good source for people who want wholesom, organic specialties that might be hard to get elsewhere ~

i'll try to remember to post that recipe for pickled kelp (in the california or pacific northwest section) tonight, also the information i have on dashi (in the japanese section). if you don't see it in the enxt couple of days, please remind me ~ there's quite a bit going on this week at home and it might slip my mind!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2011 at 10:00
click here for some good reading on pickled kelp, including a recipe ~
Aspen Hill View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspen Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 16:00
Cool!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic