Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fruits, Nuts, Fungi and Vegetables
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

You're gonna love my nuts!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You're gonna love my nuts!
    Posted: 17 November 2011 at 04:06
This is one of my all-time favorite recipes and is always done this time of year in preparation for the holidays.

Fired up the GOSM this morning and got down to it...here are the ingredients used:
Some butter, kosher salt, sea salt, granulated garlic, hot sauce, lea and perrins, dry mustard and coarse asian red pepper dust.

Also a bit more than a cup each of walnuts, pecans, Brazil nuts, cashews and almonds.

Melted the butter and added the remaining ingredients except the sea salt and red pepper dust.

Then poured it over the nuts in my large mixing bowl and tossed them well to coat.

Popped them into the GOSM which was running at about 225° and hit them with some pecan and hickory smoke for about 2 hours, stirring once or twice.

These babies came out great..dusted them with the sea salt and red pepper as soon as they came out of the smoker....let them cool a bit and vacuum sealed.

Here's the recipe proper if you want to give it a try.

Smoked Mixed Nuts

Did this on a whim and it was over the top!
Absolutely everyone loved them...if you don't have a smoker, use your gas grill on low and some wood chips.
Alternately, put 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke in the butter and bake in oven at 225°F for 90 minutes.

***1 cup raw pecans
***1 cup raw almonds
***1 cup raw cashew nuts
***1 cup raw walnuts
***4 tbsp butter
***1 tbsp Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce
***1 tbsp Franks hot sauce
***1 tsp dry mustard
***2 tsp granulated garlic
***1 - 1/2 tsp sea salt

Heat smoker to 225°

Melt butter in small saucepan and add Worcestershire, hot sauce, mustard, salt and garlic. Stir to mix.

Place nuts in medium bowl and pour mixture over...toss till well-coated.

Place nut mixture in sheet pan and smoke at 225°F for about 90 minutes, or to taste.

Give a light dusting of sea salt immediately after removing from smoker.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2011 at 07:02
very nice! looks like a great flavour combination there! i've decided i should try something similar, and might see if i can come up with a "signature" house recipe for the holidays. it's definitely the time of year for them!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2011 at 16:59
Man! Those look goood!
Hungry
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2011 at 10:03
I thought I'd never say this but... your nuts got me drooling!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2011 at 16:00
Originally posted by pitrow pitrow wrote:

I thought I'd never say this but... your nuts got me drooling!

Lol....try them...you won't be sorryTongue
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 04:27
A bump....just because it's almost Thanksgiving and these are great to have out for all the hungry masses before dinner.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 04:05
I made a batch of these yesterday in preparation for the coming holidays....just thought I would bump this to the top in case anybody else wants to make them.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 13:08
Nice.  I'll try some soon.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 19:16
i honestly don't know why i haven't tried these yet, dave - easy, and the flavour profile is a sure winner ~

if any nuts come my way, i'll give it a go ~

(yes, it WAS hard to type that with a straight face!)
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2013 at 02:34
They are great right out of the smoker Ron, but let them sit around for a week or so and they are absolutely amazing! Please try them when you get a chance...you'll never regret it.Wink
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2013 at 17:07
Look wonderful ...
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic