Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > Eastern Canada
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Tourtiere (French-Canadian meat pie)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tourtiere (French-Canadian meat pie)
    Posted: 09 December 2011 at 03:28
Shame on me again...I thought for sure that I had already posted this recipe here, but I was mistaken.

This is a traditional French-Canadian meat pie made around the holidays.

If you have trouble finding Bell's seasoning, it is available online. It's a mixture of powdered poultry spices that is a bit heavy on sage.

We make a bunch of these every Christmas and serve with piccalily, but our version of piccalily is a green tomato and pepper relish, not the cauliflower-mustard you are probably used to.

Tourtière

Traditional French Canadian meat pie, from my mother-in-law Terry.
Serve this with a nice chilled piccalilli.
Makes three 9 inch pies.

***2 lb ground beef
***2 lb ground pork
***1 large onion , minced
***3 tsp kosher salt
***1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
***2 tsp Bell's seasoning
***2 cups Crushed Ritz crackers
***1 cup bread crumbs
***3 packages ready-made pie crust

Heat oven to 375°

Place meats and onion in a large pot and add water to cover.
Bring to a boil, Add Bell's seasoning, salt and pepper and reduce heat to simmer and cook for two hours, breaking the meat up to a fine consistency.
Add Ritz cracker and bread crumbs.
Divide mixture between the pie shells and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 14:31
Is Bell's seasoning something unique to Canada?
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 18:51
Nope! We have it in Albany, NY. To me it smells like Thanksgiving. :)
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2012 at 01:45
Originally posted by AK1 AK1 wrote:

Bell's is unique to the New England area...but they do have a web page and will be happy to ship you some, or I'll be happy to send you some if you'd like...we could work out a swap in the farmer's market.

Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2012 at 08:45
I glad this got bumped, I'm going to make it.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2012 at 09:06
andy, it sure looks good to me ~ let us know how you like it and give us some step-by-step!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 20:13
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

Originally posted by AK1 AK1 wrote:

Bell's is unique to the New England area...but they do have a web page and will be happy to ship you some, or I'll be happy to send you some if you'd like...we could work out a swap in the farmer's market.

Thanks for the offer.  

I did find a recipe on the web for Bell's type seasoning.  I'm going to give it a try and see what I think.

Thank you for the offer though. 
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 05:28

@ Hoser,

Interesting savoury tart Hoser ... Thanks for posting ...

It is a Tapas Bar Trend too; having seen several Catalan  and Andalusian Chefs using Ritz Crackers around the Iberian Peninsula ... In otherwords, they are employing the Crackers as a Crust for tarts verses, corn or wheat flour,  pasta dough for Focaccia or Cookies ...
Have nice day.
Margi.    

Kind regards.
Margi.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 09:42
Originally posted by Boilermaker Boilermaker wrote:

I glad this got bumped, I'm going to make it.

Thanks i am glad 2 that it was bumped .
it is gone in to the to do list
Ahron
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 02:30
Since interest has renewed in this thread, here is a link to the step-by-step process.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2012 at 06:46
This is a recipe from issue #47 of Saveur magazine;

(Tourtière)

SERVES 8

Tourtière is a French-Canadian Réveillon staple.

FOR THE CRUST:
2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
2 tbsp. heavy cream

FOR THE FILLING:
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. ground pork
1 small white onion, peeled and chopped

1.For the crust: Sift together flour and salt into a bowl, and add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until dough just begins to hold together. Transfer  dough to a lightly floured surface, and knead several times with the heel of your hand. Divide dough in half, shape into 2 flat discs, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. For the filling: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add meat and onions, and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until juices have evaporated, about 15 minutes. Add milk, and cook until evaporated, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; add potato and quatre-épices, and season to taste with 
salt and pepper. Set aside to cool completely.

3. Preheat oven to 400º. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into two 11'' rounds. Fit 1 round into a 9'' glass pie plate. Fill pastry bottom with meat filling. Cover with remaining pastry round. Fold edges of dough under, and crimp edges. Brush top with cream. Make several slits in top of pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake until pie is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.

This is the link; http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Pork-Pie

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2012 at 09:51
looks pretty darn good, darko - i really need to try this because it's one of those dishes that is right up my alley. this fall, a melding of these two recipes will be on my list....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic