Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Curing of Meats, Charcuterie and Smokehouse Specialties
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Potatis Korv (Swedish Christmas Sausage)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potatis Korv (Swedish Christmas Sausage)
    Posted: 09 December 2012 at 20:11

Potatis Korv made and ready Saint Lucia's Day and Christmas Eve - great stuff!

Here's my attempt:

Many thanks to fellow Swede Dave (Hoser) for the recipe and guidance ~ pictures etc. to follow on a new thread -

Ron

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 13:21
Thank for letting me know, Dave ~

This reflects one of the great things about making traditional sausages ~ the over-all PROFILE is what's important, but each region or village in a country, or even each individual family or home, might have little tweaks here and there to the  over-all profile - tweaks that represent availabilty of ingredients or perhaps personal tastes. In almost every case, there is almost never a single, completely absolute, set-in-stone, "do-it-ONLY-this-way-or-you-will-burn-in-hell" way to do it.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that I am still 100% committed to this one and am looking forward to it. I had hoped to try it this weekend, but it looks like my Porkert grinder isn't being shipped until today, so this project has been postponed for next weekend.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2012 at 02:51
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

Good morning, Dave!

Thanks for the quick reply on this - I'm hoping to give this a try this coming weekend, but by next weekend for sure. I'll be sure to keep all in mind when I make these.

I think the only question is regarding the black pepper: is the number above the original amount of black pepper, or the tripled amount? I'll want to make the same as you did, with the tripled amount.

Looking at the profile, it's easy to see how this sausage is reminiscent of Swedish meatballs. My recipes for små köttbullar and färsrullader run very much along the same lines, right down to the poataotes and dairy added to the mix.

No worries on the onions ~ my contact lenses have made me immune to "onion tears" all my adult life; and it will be nice having the boy turning the crank on that grinder!

Can't wait to give this a go - thanks for the advice!

The black pepper has already been tripled in the recipe above Ron....originally it called for only one teaspoon...I kicked it up to one tablespoon. I also used instacure #1 when I made them which is not necessary unless you want to. I did it strictly for color, as this sausage has a tendency to look very bland. And dont be afraid to adjust the amount of ice water if you're having trouble stuffing them, but if you go by that recipe you should be ok.
Good luck with your first foray into the wonderful world of sausage stuffing!Thumbs Up
Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 08:31
Good morning, Dave!

Thanks for the quick reply on this - I'm hoping to give this a try this coming weekend, but by next weekend for sure. I'll be sure to keep all in mind when I make these.

I think the only question is regarding the black pepper: is the number above the original amount of black pepper, or the tripled amount? I'll want to make the same as you did, with the tripled amount.

Looking at the profile, it's easy to see how this sausage is reminiscent of Swedish meatballs. My recipes for små köttbullar and färsrullader run very much along the same lines, right down to the poataotes and dairy added to the mix.

No worries on the onions ~ my contact lenses have made me immune to "onion tears" all my adult life; and it will be nice having the boy turning the crank on that grinder!

Can't wait to give this a go - thanks for the advice!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 02:17
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

Dave - I've got 2 pounds of ground pork in the freezer, and a Czechoslovakian Porkert grinder with sausage attachments on the way! Considering the Christmas season, my Swedish heritage, and the fact that this is half-beef (or maybe venison?) as well as half-pork (which I don't have much of), I think this might be my first sausage project with my new set-up! Clap

Two questions:

A) It looks like the total meat weight is 3.75 pounds. I know that it's all too easy to get needlessly hung up on weights and ratios of pork to other meat, but do you think 2 pounds of each meat (with a pinch or two of everything else) will do the trick well enough? Or perhaps reversing the ratios, to accomodate the fact that I've only got 2 lbs of pork to work with? It seems to me that it should be fine, especially if I use ground beef, which will also contain a measure of fat.

This question might seem overly-worriesome, because you and I both know that when things like this are made "in the old country" (wherever "the old country" may be), it is not in a laboratory environment and that variations will occur - it's the over-all profile that is important. But I figured it best to check with you. This question might become moot anyway; between now and when the equipment arrives, I might come into a little more pork that will make up for it, but I figure it's a good idea to ask, so that some options are open.

B) Does the raw potato turn dark when it hits the air, or does the sausage mixing etc. provide enough action to keep it white - or does it matter? Have you ever tried cooking/ricing the potato first, or does it need to be raw for this to be the way it should be?

Let me know ~ I'm eager to try this!

Hi Ron....I wouldn't worry a bit about the ratio of pork to beef. The pork, being fattier is obviously going to help hold the sausage together, but we're adding dry milk as well, which acts as a binder and will take up the slack if the fat content is a bit low.

As far as the potato...it really should be raw Ron. It will indeed turn brown on you (depending on the type of potato) but you can just dice them, cover with water and a tablespoon or so of lemon juice and they will stay nice. You also might want to wear goggles when you grind the onionsWink

You are also lucky to have a couple of big strong boys to help out turning the handle on that grinder...LOL...it's a great old machine, but a lot of work. Who'd have thought you could make sausage and get a good workout at the same time?LOL

I'm really looking forward to seeing your results on this one my pal....good luck!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 11:32
Dave - I've got 2 pounds of ground pork in the freezer, and a Czechoslovakian Porkert grinder with sausage attachments on the way! Considering the Christmas season, my Swedish heritage, and the fact that this is half-beef (or maybe venison?) as well as half-pork (which I don't have much of), I think this might be my first sausage project with my new set-up! Clap

Two questions:

A) It looks like the total meat weight is 3.75 pounds. I know that it's all too easy to get needlessly hung up on weights and ratios of pork to other meat, but do you think 2 pounds of each meat (with a pinch or two of everything else) will do the trick well enough? Or perhaps reversing the ratios, to accomodate the fact that I've only got 2 lbs of pork to work with? It seems to me that it should be fine, especially if I use ground beef, which will also contain a measure of fat.

This question might seem overly-worriesome, because you and I both know that when things like this are made "in the old country" (wherever "the old country" may be), it is not in a laboratory environment and that variations will occur - it's the over-all profile that is important. But I figured it best to check with you. This question might become moot anyway; between now and when the equipment arrives, I might come into a little more pork that will make up for it, but I figure it's a good idea to ask, so that some options are open.

B) Does the raw potato turn dark when it hits the air, or does the sausage mixing etc. provide enough action to keep it white - or does it matter? Have you ever tried cooking/ricing the potato first, or does it need to be raw for this to be the way it should be?

Let me know ~ I'm eager to try this!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 08:13
I'll keep that in mind, dave ~ it would be nice to have some of this for Christmastime; or, better yet, to make it between Christmas and New Years with a new grinder/sausage set that might hopefully show up under the tree!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 03:35
You'll enjoy it Ron...just remember it is very perishable...it should be consumed within a day or two or frozen immediately for later use.Thumbs Up
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2012 at 15:38
Now that I'm looking into more sausage-making, this one definitely calls to my Nordic blood!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 14:21
Hoser. Yum. Need I say more about these dynamic sausages ? Thanks for posting. Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 13:34
Just a little bump as we are getting into the holiday season.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 07:02
Looks great to me! I'd say you've got an outstanding traditional Swedish Christmas tradition going there! Thumbs Up
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 02:27
I kept a link out of the freezer and cooked it in the traditional Swedish manner last night.

Poached the sausage about an hour, or until it hits an I.T. of 160°F

Then I browned it up a bit in butter

The cure helped keep the sausage nice and pink....I'm afraid the flash washed out most of the color in this shot, so you'll just have to take my word for it on the color.

Served it up with some spuds and green beans...this will be a good addition to the Xmas buffet

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 07:02
beautiful, dave! this is what it's all about!

thanks for such a great, perfect-for-the-season contribution to our scandinavian forum! it's definitely something i would like to try one day!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 03:54
Mixed up a batch of potatis korv yesterday in preparation for our Christmas day open house. It came out quite well...tasting reminiscent of a Swedish meatball, but spicier. This is typically a very bland sausage, so I tripled the amount of ground black pepper called for and I'm glad I did.

Swedish Potato Sausage

Traditional scandinavian Christmas sausage..my adaptation of Len Poli's recipe

1025 grams pork shoulder 2.25 lb
   681 grams boneless beef chuck 1.5 lb
   681 grams peeled raw potatoes 1.5 lb
   454 grams raw white onions 1 lb
   85 grams dry milk powder (one packet)
   30 grams salt 4 tsp
   10 grams sugar 2 tsp
   4 grams insta-cure number 1 .5 tsp
   3 grams ground allspice 1.5 tsp
   8 grams black pepper 1 Tbsp
   123 grams ice water .5 cup

1. Grind the meat, onions and potatoes through a 1/8" plate.

2. Place in mixer and mix for three minutes, or until well incorporated.

3. Add remaining ingredients and mix in thoroughly.

4. Stuff into 38mm hog casings and tie off into 12" rings.

5. Poach sausage in 180°F water 1 hour, or until internal temp of 160°F is reached.

6. Remove to cool, refrigerate or freeze until use.

7. To eat, brown gently in butter to heat through and color the casing
First I chunked up a few pounds of pork shoulder and some beef chuck to go through the grinder, and weighed all my ingredients up. 

Ground the pork and beef together, and then the potatoes (yukon gold) and onions.

Gave it a cursory mix by hand, and then put together the spice mix.

The spices ....dry milk in the middle, then clockwise from 12 ..cure #1, salt, sugar, freshly ground black pepper and allspice.

I sprinkled the dry milk over the top of everything, then mixed the rest of the spices with 1/2 cup of ice water and gave it all a good mix.

The fry pan test came out great, so I just stuffed them up and vac sealed them for the freezer...kept one link out that will be cooked and eaten tonight...I'll update the post after that happens.

Thanks for checking out my sausage!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic