Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > The Korean Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Korean Cabbage Kimchee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant
Rest in Peace - 22 DEC 2011

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beer-B-Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Korean Cabbage Kimchee
    Posted: 13 February 2010 at 00:06
Korean Cabbage Kimchee

The favorite kimchee vegetable is Chinese (or Napa) cabbage. The Koreans ferment it in enormous quantities. They then pack the kimchee into huge earthenware jars, bury the jars in the ground up to the neck, and cover the lids with straw until the kimchee is needed. Kimchee almost always includes hot pepper, usually dried and either ground or crushed into flakes. Because the ground dried hot pepper sold in Korean markets is generally fairly mild, Koreans can use generous quantities. Some of the Mexican (and New Mexican) ground peppers now sold in supermarkets are comparable. If you can't find ground pepper with a moderate heat level, you might combine sweet paprika and cayenne to suit your taste.

Ingredients:

• 3 tablespoons  plus 1 teaspoon  pickling  salt  6 cups water
  • 2 pounds Chinese (Napa) cabbage, cut into 2-inch squares
  • 6 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths, then slivered
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 2 tablespoons Korean ground dried hot pepper (or other mildly hot ground red pepper)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar

Instructions:
Makes about 1 1/2 Quarts

1. Dissolve the 3 tablespoons salt in the water. Put the cabbage into a large bowl, a crock, or a nonreactive pot, and pour the brine over it. Weight the cabbage down with a plate. Let the cabbage stand for 12 hours.
  2. Drain the cabbage, reserving the brine. Mix the cabbage with the remaining ingredients, including the 1 teaspoon salt. Pack the mixture into a 2-quart jar. Pour enough of the reserved brine over the cabbage to cover it. Push a freezer bag into the mouth of the jar, and pour the remaining brine into the bag. Seal the bag. Let the kimchi ferment in a cool place, at a temperature no higher than 68° F, for 3 to 6 days,until the kimchi is as sour as you like.
  3. Remove the brine bag, and cap the jar tightly. Store the kimchi in the refrigerator, where it will keep for months

Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 04:33
That is something I have always wanted to make...now that we have a recipe, I guess I'll have to do it.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Montana Maddness View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2010 at 14:18
It makes great condement for hot dogs and hamburgers! I have been making my own for about ten years now. I do spice mine up a little with habenoros.

If you take a little and blend it then mix a little mayo in with it it makes a nice spicy asian spread for sandwiches.
ENJOY
Hotter the better bring on the peppers!
curious aardvark View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curious aardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 04:49
nice looking recipe, kimchee is good stuff !

Friend of mines mum is korean and makes kimchee.

No garlic in your recipe - the one lornas mum makes is like garlic central. I mean it's more garlicky than neat garlic.

Mind you I think every korean has a different recipe, I'll have to see if I can get hold of lornas.
Beware the slings of outrageous fortune (bows and arrows are for wimps ;-)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic