Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Balkans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Cherry liqueur

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 09:57
Here's a question.

Could I use sour cherries in syrup(bought at a store) to make this?
Sponsored Links

africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 10:08
I don't know. you can try and   let us know . just check that there are no additives.
Ahron
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 10:17
darko - the season is coming up where you should be able to get fresh cherries at the store very soon, if not right now. maybe give those a try?

i'm thinking about giving this a go with our famous montana flathead cherries, as soon as they are avaialble....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 19:46
Ahron, the ingredients are ;sour cherries, water and sugar in that order. That's it for the ingredient list.

Ron, we should have cherries in about a month. I still plan to make some from scratch. I just figured that if I used the bottled cherries, it would give me a head start with a batch before the other is ready.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2012 at 02:25
I don't see a problam  (maybe the water )  it must work,  it will do a instant liquor  .
but because the cherries  are  cooked and caned it will not develop a better taste with time .
the one you will do with fresh cherries will develop a round amazing  flavour in time.

Ahron
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2012 at 07:01
Well, I'll give it a try and see how it is. 
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2012 at 17:21
Here's an update.

What I did was pour the syrup out of each jar and add an equal amount of vodka to the syrup. I had three jars and got just over a cup(250ml) out of each jar. To each cup of syrup, I added 1 cup of vodka. Of course I tasted it, and I'll say it was tasty. Not having tried this before, I don't really have a baseline as to how it should taste. What I ended up was with something that tasted like cherries but without an alcoholic bite. 

Then I refilled the cherry bottles with vodka to cover. I think I'll use that vodka to add when I make this with fresh cherries.  I was surprised at how quick the vodka pulled more red colour out of the cherries. After a few hours the bottles looked the same as when they were bought with the syrup.

Any way, we'll see how it is in a few weeks.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 03:08
Thumbs Up
Ahron
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 21:54
To add, I didn't filter the syrup so I did end up with a bit of sediment in the bottles. Hopefully this will help a little bit with the aging and developing the flavour. 
As I said before, I should have fresh sour cherries available within the month. It will be interesting to compare this instant batch with the scratch made near the end of the year.
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 16:05
Originally posted by AK1 AK1 wrote:

To add, I didn't filter the syrup so I did end up with a bit of sediment in the bottles. Hopefully this will help a little bit with the aging and developing the flavour. 
As I said before, I should have fresh sour cherries available within the month. It will be interesting to compare this instant batch with the scratch made near the end of the year.

I filtered mine through cheesecloth and still ended up with a very fine sediment in the bottom of the bottles and now after a month or so the actual liquor is crystal clear with that fine sediment on the bottom.  Unfortunately, it tastes so good that I couldn't stay out of it and have already finished one bottle of it but I have resolved to age the other two bottles for a couple of years.  This stuff is AMAZING.

I now have a batch going made from fresh blueberries that were on sale at the market.  So far, so good.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 16:09
Quote Unfortunately, it tastes so good that I couldn't stay out of it and have already finished one bottle of it but I have resolved to age the other two bottles for a couple of years.  This stuff is AMAZING.

Andy - by the sounds of your quote above, it's going to be pretty hard to stick to that two-year plan. you might want to pace yourself and sample one at one year and the other at two years.

or, you could send them up here - i'll hold onto them for you - really, i will! got a safe place already picked out and everything ~ Wink 
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 16:13
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

Quote Unfortunately, it tastes so good that I couldn't stay out of it and have already finished one bottle of it but I have resolved to age the other two bottles for a couple of years.  This stuff is AMAZING.

Andy - by the sounds of your quote above, it's going to be pretty hard to stick to that two-year plan. you might want to pace yourself and sample one at one year and the other at two years.

or, you could send them up here - i'll hold onto them for you - really, i will! got a safe place already picked out and everything ~ Wink 

I have some more cherries now and will be making a second batch so I will be sending some to both you and Dave.  I can't believe how good this stuff is.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 16:17
hey, that would be great - i'm planning on getting some flathead cherries when they come into season (which should be very, very soon, if not already) and trying this with them. if i get enough to make enough, i'll try to send some around ~ Tongue
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 17:38
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

What safe place would that be?  Your stomachTongue
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 18:29
Originally posted by Boilermaker Boilermaker wrote:

I filtered mine through cheesecloth and still ended up with a very fine sediment in the bottom of the bottles and now after a month or so the actual liquor is crystal clear with that fine sediment on the bottom.  Unfortunately, it tastes so good that I couldn't stay out of it and have already finished one bottle of it but I have resolved to age the other two bottles for a couple of years.  This stuff is AMAZING.

I now have a batch going made from fresh blueberries that were on sale at the market.  So far, so good.
At this point, I wasn't worried about the sediment because I made this batch from store bought cherries in syrup. Something to tide me over until I can make a batch from scratch within a month or so. My plan is to let this batch sit for a bit then filter it into bottles. After that, I'll wait for a while and compare it to the scratch made stuff. Of course it already tastes good, so I'll have to hide a bottle or two somewhere out of reach just so I have something to compareBeer
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 18:56

At this point, I wasn't worried about the sediment because I made this batch from store bought cherries in syrup. Something to tide me over until I can make a batch from scratch within a month or so. My plan is to let this batch sit for a bit then filter it into bottles. After that, I'll wait for a while and compare it to the scratch made stuff. Of course it already tastes good, so I'll have to hide a bottle or two somewhere out of reach just so I have something to compareBeer

They are both gonna be awesome.  The hard part is staying out of it once it is made.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 20:31
I guess I'll be testing my willpowerSmile
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 04:15

I guess I'll be testing my willpowerSmile

oh Boy  that will be difficultWink
Ahron
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 17:00
My blueberries are macerating nicely and looking good, I picked up more grain alcohol yesterday for this new blueberry batch and a second batch of the cherry liquer that I will start shortly as I have more cherries.  This is one of the coolest and best things I have ever made, thanks for showing us how to do this, Ahron!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 03:15

My blueberries are macerating nicely and looking good, I picked up more grain alcohol yesterday for this new blueberry batch and a second batch of the cherry liquer that I will start shortly as I have more cherries.  This is one of the coolest and best things I have ever made, thanks for showing us how to do this, Ahron!

this sound great can we see some photos Clap
Ahron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic