Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Balkans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Cherry liqueur

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 21:45
Originally posted by africanmeat africanmeat wrote:

Originally posted by Boilermaker Boilermaker wrote:

My blueberries are macerating nicely and looking good, I picked up more grain alcohol yesterday for this new blueberry batch and a second batch of the cherry liquer that I will start shortly as I have more cherries.  This is one of the coolest and best things I have ever made, thanks for showing us how to do this, Ahron!

this sound great can we see some photos Clap

Absolutely.  I have taken some pics already and I'll post up pics of the entire process when I add the alcohol and bottle it up.  The sugar and blueberries are fermenting on their own (I can smell the CO2) and once they are finished I'm going to add the alcohol and then let it rest for a week or two and then filter and bottle it.

This is an amazing traditional process you have turned us on to.  I hope I didn't stray too far from Romanian tradition by using blueberries but I couldn't resist after the cherry liqueur turned out so well.  I can't thank you enough for teaching us this, this is so cool.  I will be doing this every year from now on.
Sponsored Links

Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 17:55
The blueberries and sugar seem to have finished their fermentation, tastes of alcohol and intense blueberry.  I strained off the resulting syrup and the 2 pounds of blueberries and 1 pound of sugar yielded 3 cups of syrup to which I added 12 ounces of 190 proof grain alcohol which results in an alcohol level of about 31% plus whatever alcohol the fermentation produced.  I read that freezing the blueberries causes the microscopic ice crystals which are formed to break down the cellular walls releasing more blueberry essence so I have the strained blueberries in the freezer and will thaw them tomorrow and then mash them and add them to the syrup/alcohol mixture.  I plan to then let it age for a few weeks or months before straining and bottling.  
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 11:50
OMG . i will have to give it a try  vary soon .
Ahron
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2012 at 12:17
Picked up 11 lbs of sour cherries yesterday. They are now macerating with sugar in three jars.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 04:51
       now  send some photos so we can drool Thumbs Up
Ahron
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2012 at 07:38
Coming soon. I just got my computer back from the shop so pics will be on the way.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2012 at 09:25
Here's a picture after 1 week. I have 3 bottles like this;

AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2012 at 10:37
So after 3 weeks & a bit, I filtered the juice from all 3 bottles into 1. At this point I added a bit of vodka just to stop fermentation. I waited a week  and then filtered again to get rid of more sediment.
I now have 4 litres of juice waiting for the vodka which I'll add next week and then bottle.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2012 at 15:32
looks really good - i need a jar to get this going - got some good, sour cherries a couple of days ago, but found out our gallon jar got tossed. i was NOT happy about that!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2012 at 20:14
I started a small batch of blueberries today. Worked out to 10 oz of blueberries, to which I added 5 oz of sugar.  If I like this batch, I'll still be able to buy a bunch of wild blueberries near the end of the month to make a big batch!

This is a bad phone pic, but it's a shot of the blueberries and sugar in a 1 litre bottle.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2012 at 20:21
Wow, I can't believe how bad that pic looks. This was taken a few hrs after making the bottle. There was already quite a bit of movement of juice from the berries to the sugar.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 08:47

i bet they're going to taste great ~

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 10:09
OOOO..... blueberry liquor! No you have me deciding if I want to use the rest of my blueberries for liquor or muffins! I'm thinking liquor...
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 10:27
I'm thinkin' liqueur! Wink

I just made a batch of maple liqueur.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 09:34

Sorry i did not saw it Earlier.
it looks amazing i will love to know how you do maple liqueur ?

it sounds Interesting .if you got  blackcurrant in your area  you can try and do cassis liqueur  .

Ahron
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:51
Very easy Ahron,

1 part Maple syrup, 1 part Canadian whisky. Mix together & let sit for a week or so to let the flavours blend. That's the basic recipe. If you'd like it stronger you could add more whisky, as well you could also add other flavouring agents such as honey.

Black Currants are no problem. Creme de Cassis is on my to do list.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2012 at 08:01
Originally posted by AK1 AK1 wrote:

Very easy Ahron,

1 part Maple syrup, 1 part Canadian whisky. Mix together & let sit for a week or so to let the flavours blend. That's the basic recipe. If you'd like it stronger you could add more whisky, as well you could also add other flavouring agents such as honey.

Black Currants are no problem. Creme de Cassis is on my to do list.

Thanks for the info 
Ahron
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 19:30
Gotta bring this back to life!

Have any of you fine folks been making liquers?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 22:24
I haven't, but I need to. Montana is home to some very nice cherries in the flathead valley.
drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 12:05
In much pf the US, the native black cherry and several regional subspecies and varieties grow wild.
do know of a couple here, but they are quite small and produce very little fruit at this time.
In north Texas, they are very common and produce a lot of fruit.
I have seen an inch of fruit on the ground below some trees.
I suspect they would make a very good liquor, pick your tree by taste as the fruit varies from pretty sweet to all day kissing puckering sour.
The flavor is variable, from very flavorful to very astringent so taste testing is in order.
I do not know what the pin and bird cherries would do,but they are surely possibles.
I do have dewberries and blackberries here and they are about to get ripe, the liquor store has plenty of 94% everclear.
Too bad I do not still live on the border, Noventa ses puro, aka everclear used to be $1 a liter, though I am sure it is more than that now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic