Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fats, Oils, Sauces, Sweets and Condiments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Chocolate Fountain & Fondue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chocolate Fountain & Fondue
    Posted: 17 February 2012 at 12:27
Add Ritz crackers to the dipping list.  I just would not have thought of that but one of my coworkers brought some in.  I wonder if the Ritz peanut butter filled crackers would be even better?  
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 15:15
i'd say any hot pepper would do just fine. - a lot of times i simply take chocolate pudding and add some dried/crushed red pepper flakes, and it sure provides an interesting zing ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 15:08
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

i love it! i've only seen one of these twice, and they were really fun. my own favourite is rice crispy treats or bananas, but i am sure there are so many good things to try. red-hot chili peppers? bacon? why not?

I forgot to mention that we have used bacon too.  It is Alaska after all.

What kind of red-hot chili peppers?  Fresh peppers are not always easy to come by here.  I saw someone stuff and chocolate dip fresh jalapenos once but I cannot recall what they stuffed them with. 
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2012 at 19:35
i love it! i've only seen one of these twice, and they were really fun. my own favourite is rice crispy treats or bananas, but i am sure there are so many good things to try. red-hot chili peppers? bacon? why not?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2012 at 18:22
This seems to belong under "Fat, Oils, Sauces, Sweets, and Condiments" more than anywhere else.

A while back I bought one of these off Ebay.  No one local sells them.  What inspired me is our somewhat intense and competitive food/potluck traditions at work.  People think that I am kidding when I describe the "Christmas Buffet Walk."

This fountain is a bit of a pain to operate.  You must pre-melt the chocolate mix which is made even healthier by thinning with oil.  Smile  It does keep it melted at least.  You must carefully screw the legs to level it for an even flow.  People drip a lot of chocolate so a large platter is helpful but more to clean up.  It is not too hard to clean up if you pour out the unused sauce and use very hot water.  If you are not near a kitchen bring large plastic bags so that you can get it home without making a mess. 

I checked out Golden Corral's chocolate fountain and was surprised to taste butter.  This is s sneaky trick and I have successfully substituted melted butter for oil too.   I have taken to adding more dark chocolate since people seem to be developing a taste for this.  Too many minors and AA folks here to use alcohol as a thinner even though that sounds less unhealthy than oil and butter.

So far the favorite dipping items are strawberries followed closely by rice crispie treats.  Marshmallows, pretzels, cookies, gummy bears, bananas, etc... are all fine too.  What other items do you all like to dip in chocolate? 

I have an electric chocolate fondue which is MUCH simpler to set up.  These are my answers to my ridiculously picky family who will not try regular fondues.  I understand that this fountain can also be used for nacho sauce and peanut butter sauce but I have not had the excuse to try these yet. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic