Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > The Korean Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Bo Ssam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2013 at 22:01
For what its worth,
Living where I do, 
....Where there is a massive Asian presence, and a century and a half  tradition of lamb production; many things have 'fused' - but never lamb cooked that way.

I think for a good reason - lamb has a distinct flavour that is just not popular with Asian cuisine.

If you want to slow roast a sheep cut, find a hogget. (2 year old girl lamb-teenager- not deflowered).

The flavour has developed, the joints are bigger but its not old. Slow roasted hogget shoulder is divine and I will do a pictorial later in the summer when we get our sheep cuts delivered.
Resident Peasant
Sponsored Links

AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 12:34
This is my dinner tonight!  I cured the pork butt yesterday, and started cooking it around 11:30 this morning. I'm guessing we'll be eating around 7pm. The only difference is that we'll be using Romaine lettuce.  Amazingly all the local stores had no Bibb available today. All I could find was Romaine or leaf lettuce. The leaf just looked too delicate so I went with the Romaine.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 12:56
My second lettuce choice was going to be red leaf if bibb wasn't available but it hardly matters. You are going to love this.  I hope you are also assembling the sauces.  They bring the magic.
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 13:24
Originally posted by Effigy Effigy wrote:

For what its worth, Living where I do, ....Where there is a massive Asian presence, and a century and a half  tradition of lamb production; many things have 'fused' - but never lamb cooked that way. I think for a good reason - lamb has a distinct flavour that is just not popular with Asian cuisine. If you want to slow roast a sheep cut, find a hogget. (2 year old girl lamb-teenager- not deflowered). The flavour has developed, the joints are bigger but its not old. Slow roasted hogget shoulder is divine and I will do a pictorial later in the summer when we get our sheep cuts delivered.

Hogget, I love the term! While the Asians may not care for lamb, those that don't eat pork might find it useful to substitute lamb in this way.
Mark R
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 15:27
Originally posted by gracoman gracoman wrote:

My second lettuce choice was going to be red leaf if bibb wasn't available but it hardly matters. You are going to love this.  I hope you are also assembling the sauces.  They bring the magic.
Oh yeah! All the sauces are done and waiting for the pork.
Addtotaste View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2013 at 00:34
If you were to use beef which cut?

@Gracoman what about lamb offends you so?
Check out some more recipes and reviews - www.addtotaste.co.za
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2013 at 05:51
Originally posted by Addtotaste Addtotaste wrote:

Me, chuck! But I don't think it would be the same. Beef is so much ...heavier.
Mark R
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2013 at 09:56
Originally posted by Addtotaste Addtotaste wrote:

I agree with Mark about the chuck roast.

I just don't really like the flavor of lamb.  I never have.  Oh I'll do grilled lamb chops from time to time but they will lean toward well done.  

I have the same aversion to fish.  I just don't like it.  I'll eat shell fish.  King crab, lobster, scallops etc., but
most things flopping around on the end of a line are just awful to me.  In a word, yuck!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2013 at 10:11
Funny thing, Gracoman, is that both Friend Wife and myself had the same aversions; no lamb, no fish. But our tastes changed over time, and now we can't get enough of either.

Brussels Sprouts used to fit in that category, too. But now we have them often.

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 07:23
   Wow, fine job posting this marvelous recipe Tas!  I've surely got to try this one.  Graco...your mouthwatering pictures real seal the deal...excellent job!  

...and to all others...thanks for the good discussion you had on varying meat for this dish.  
Enjoy The Food!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic