Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Scandinavia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Dansk Flæskeæggekage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dansk Flæskeæggekage
    Posted: 13 February 2010 at 14:53
Flæskeæggekage
Bacon and Egg Cake

From Time/Life's Foods of the World - The Cooking of Scandinavia, 1968:

Quote Flæskeæggekage, a traditional Danish favorite, is cooked slowly on top of the stove until it has set into a custardlike consistency. It is served with a topping of crisp bacon and chopped chives. 

Flæskeæggekage
(Bacon and Egg Cake)

To serve 4

1/2 lb bacon, preferably Danish
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons chives, finely cut

Cut the long strips of bacon in half crosswise and fry them over moderate heat in a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet. Do not let them get too crisp. Drain the strips on paper towels and set them on an ovenproof platter or baking dish and keep warm in a 200-degree oven. Remove all but a tablespoon of the clear bacon fat from the skillet.

In a mixing bowl, beat the flour and salt into the eggs only long enough to combine them, and then slowly beat in the milk. Warm the fat in the skillet over moderate heat and pour in the egg mixture. Turn the heat down to low and without stirring, let the eggs set into a firm custard. Since this will take about 20 minutes, a [heat-proof] pad [of some kind] placed under the skillet will help to prevent the bottom of the egg cake from burning. Arrange the bacon slices and chives over the top of the finished cake. Serve directly from the pan, as a first course, brunch or late-supper dish.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 16:46
Now that sounds interesting! I'll give you points just for being able to spell it! LOL
Go ahead...play with your food!
got14u View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote got14u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 18:21
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

Now that sounds interesting! I'll give you points just for being able to spell it! LOL
or can you just give him half a point....just becuase you guys are killing me with all these recipes and no pics..lol...ok a full one.LOL
Jerod

Life's hard, it's even harder when your stupid.
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 20:28
When you give this a try, please be sure to report back, sounds delicious.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 16:23
your wish is my command, andy ~ i made this a while ago and took a few pictures. ran into a couple of minor problems, but overall, it went well and was very, very good!

here we are with the goods: pretty easy stuff:

first, i cut a few slices of bacon in half, and fried them up:

i cooked the slices over moderate heat until they had given up nearly all of their fat, but were not burned; while this was going on, i mixed the milk, eggs and flour:

i didn't quite get the flour incorporated in all the way. this didn't ruin the dish, but i would suggest using a whisk and giving the mixture a slow, gentle beat, rather than using a fork, until the flour is thoroughly incorporated into the eggs and milk.

once the bacon was done, i put it in the oven on the lowest setting to keep warm, removed all but a little bit of the fat (or so i thought) from the pan and then added the egg mixture to the pan:

right away, i saw two things: the first was that i hadn't gotten rid of enough bacon fat, since it streamed out over the top a little. no big deal, i will just make sure that i get more fat out next time. the second thing i realized was that the frying pan i used was a little too wide. the dish turned out fine, but it was a little thin because of this. based on this, i would recommend no more than an 11-inch-wide frying pan.

anyway, the eggs immediately started to set, and from there the wait began. it took a little longer than the recipe states above, but eventually, they did set completely through. you want to be careful not to burn the eggs on the bottom, so it may be necessary to reduce the heat and add to the cooking time - no big deal. 

this is what it looked like when it was about ready, with only a few minutes to go:

you want the egg to set completely on top, so that you know it is done throughout.

when it was done, i took the bacon out of the oven and used it to line around the outside of the flaeskaeggekage:

we didn't have any chives, although they would have made this just about perfect.

once it was ready, we served it up and gave it a try. results were very good and i was impressed. we've made it a couple of other times since then, and i usually add just a little bit of black pepper; the kids also like to add cheese to the top when it is almost done.

good stuff, easy to prepare and all in one dish - hard to beat! this danish specialty has a lot of character and i definitely recommend this to anyone looking to try something different for breakfast.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 09:52
i made this again yesterday; i had a couple of execution problems, so no photos, but it went pretty much ad described above, except for the fact that we didn't have any bacon on hand (added some cheese instead).

the main thing is to cook it low and slow, and things will work out fine. this time around, i covered it for a few mintues, and that seemed to help the cooking along. in any case, i decided that i really must get re-acquainted with this dish as it was simple and delicious! i'll be making it again before too long, and will post another photo.

if anyone else is looking for an easy breakfast, this is it! it is also versatile - you can add cheese, if you want, or perhaps a pinch or two of dill. serve it up alongside potatoes done in your favourite way, and you have a meal that will get your day started!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 10:01

TAS,

A DANISH TORTILLA ( OMELETTE ) WITH BACON ... OR TORTILLA DANESA ...

THANKS FOR POSTING !

If I were preparing this, I would eliminate the flour & the milk;

and I would prepare a Spanish Tortilla without the potato and onion in Evoo ...

then, I would sauté the bacon separately so that the Omelette would not be greasy ...

Now instead of the Potato and the onion; I would add a few pieces of pancetta or bacon if you prefer to, so the Omelette shall not be wet and form properly ... then,  the bacon, after being totally and thoroughly drained of all grease after sautéing can be added to the egg omelette; or just use some Danish Cheese inside while sautéing the omelette ... and garnish the circular omelette or tortilla as in your photo !! around the omelette or tortilla danesa ...  

VERY INTERESTING BRUNCH DISH ...

This is called a TORTILLA CAMPERA in Spanish, a country side omelette; which is prepared with bacon, ham and red bell pepper and sometimes, potato and tomato inside. Each family has their own recipe ...

EGGS have been playing a vital role for centuries and SPANISH ARTIST DIEGO VELAZQUEZ, the renowned Spanish painter, (1599 - 1660 ) painted:  AN OLD WOMAN FRYING EGGS: it is in the National Gallery - Edinburgh, Scotland.

EGGS were a documented food element for Lent too.

All my best,
Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 08:14
Margi -

For this dish, the flour and especially the milk are an important part of the preparation, in order to make it in the Danish style. A custard-like consistency is quintessential to the finished Scandinavian dish.

The next time I make it, I'll see if I can get closer to a finshed product that looks like the photo from the book, and will post new photos in the pictorial above.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 08:53
Tas. Sort of a Danish Quiche ... Looks good.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:56
Yes, it reminded me a lot of quiche, except it has no crust underneath, just the egg custard; also, rather than being baked in an oven, it is cooked on a stovetop, paying careful attention to the temperature.

It's very good!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic