Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Mozzarella in Carrozza

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mozzarella in Carrozza
    Posted: 28 February 2012 at 15:21
From FotW: Italian Cooking.

Mozzarella in Carrozza 
Deep fried cheese sandwiches 
Serves 4 to 6 [we made a half batch and it was still enough to serve 4] 

Vegetable oil or shortening for deep frying 
a 1 lb loaf of sliced French or Italian bread [we used the largest diameter French bread from the grocery - not a baguette - and sliced it ourselves, about 1/2" thick] 
1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese [the kind you get in liquid, not the 'string cheese' american version] 
4 eggs 
3 tbsp milk 
1 cup milk 
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs 

Heat 3-4" of oil to 375F in a large heavy sauce pan. 

Using a cookie cutter or a small glass, cut slices of bread into 3" rounds. [I just cut off the crusts since our bread wasn't even quite that big] Slice mozzarella into 1/4" slices, just a bit smaller than the bread. Make sandwiches from the cheese and bread. 

Beat the eggs and 3 tbsp milk in a small bowl. Pour a cup of milk into another bowl and spread the bread crumbs on a sheet of wax paper. 

Dip each sandwich into the milk briefly, press the edges of the bread together to seal them. Coat both sides in the bread crumbs. To seal the edges even more securely, roll the sandwiches slowly though the bread crumbs like cartwheels. Dip the sandwiches one at a time in the egg mixture and fry in the hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve while still piping hot. 

It was absolutely delicious and unusual.  Just don't look in my arteries any time soon!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2012 at 15:40
now see, i remember reading that recipe, and thinking that it sure looked good ~ but, seeing it come to life in your wonderful photos, i know now that it is one that i am going to have to try!

thanks for posting!

ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2012 at 11:33
@ Ron,

Fried Mozzarella ... This is a SIN FROM HEAVEN !!!  You are dangerous in the kitch !!!  ha ha ha

I use Water Buffalo ( not cow or Bison ) Mozzarella and rustic crusty bread crumbs of a day old loaf of chapata ...  which is a huge trunk like shaped bread dusted with flour ... rustic and fabulous.

Thanks so much for posting ... I do this with Brie or Camembert too for a change of pace ...
Margi.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 03:23
Yes, I can hear my arteries slamming shut, but you know I'm going to try this one!Thumbs Up
Go ahead...play with your food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 03:55
Mozzarella di Bufala in Carrozza is one of lifeĀ“s greatest pleasures for the palate ... I cut down on other non essentials, and would choose this delightful delicacy ... I am a true cheese holic ...

I have to finish my Gorgonzola and Pecorino and 10 other cheeses for the Forum ... Got to go back to work now ...

One can do this with camembert and brie too !  also, goat cheese, a whole other sin !!!

Thanks for posting ...
Kindest,
Margi
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic