Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > Southeast Asia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

ISO: Curry Puff Recipe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ISO: Curry Puff Recipe
    Posted: 01 March 2012 at 12:17
We enjoyed lunch at Thai Smile, a restaurant here in town. For a starter I had what they called curry puffs, basically sweet potatoe puree, chicken, and curry folded into a won ton wrapper, and deep fried.

I'm sure I can come up with a more than reasonable facsimile. But, if anyone has a tried and true recipe for these, I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links

Marissa View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 08:26
I searched through my arsenal of Thai cookbooks last night (I hadn't realized I have 4 exclusively Thai books and 6 more Asian books that have Thai sections!). There were two things called 'curry puffs' in the general Asian books but neither contained sweet potato or chicken! They sound delicious though!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 10:57
That's really interesting, Marissa.

I did a web search, and there are all kinds of entries. Most of them use puff pastry, rather than won ton wraps, however. A few substitute filo dough. In almost all cases they puffs were baked, rather than fried.

I guess I'll have to just experiment and see where things lead me.
Marissa View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 11:07
The ones I saw in the books were fried wonton wrappers. I'll type up one of those recipes just to give you a basic idea of the prep and then you can come up with the filling. I'll do it at home tonight!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 12:41
Sounds like a plan. Thanx.
Marissa View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 20:50
Looking at the recipes again, only one was fried wontons. It's in Foods of the World: Pacific and Southeast Asian Cooking.

Quote Hawaiian Curry Puffs
Deep-fried wonton filled with curried shrimp and pork

To make 4 or 5 dozen puffs

1/2 lb uncooked shrimp, shelled, deveined and finely chopped
1/2 lb boneless pork shoulder, cut into chunks
1 medium-sized peeled, finely chopped tart cooking apple
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 medium-sized celery stalk, finely chopped
1 medium-sized scallion, including the green top, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
4 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
One recipe wonton wrappers or 1/2 lb ready-made wonton wrappers
Vegetable oil for deep frying

Put the shrimp and pork through the finest blade of a meat grinder and place the mixture in a deep bowl. Combine the apple, onions, celery, scallion and parsley on a cutting board with a large, sharp knife, chop them together as fine as possible. Add this mixture, the curry powder, salt and pepper to the shrimp and pork, and beat vigorously with a large spoon until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.

One at a time, spread the wonton wrappers on a lightly floured surface and, with a cookie cutter or the rim o f a glass, cut them into 2 1/2 inch rounds. For each curry puff, place a teaspoon of shrimp and pork mixture in the center of the round of wonton dough. Moisten the edges with a finger dipped in water, and fold the round in half to make a half-moon shape, thus enclosing the filling completely. Gently press the edges securely together with your fingertips. AS each curry puff is finished, place it on a plate and cover it with a paper towel. If the puffs must wait longer than 30 minutes before cooking, cover them tightly with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Preheat the over to the lowest setting, then line a large, shallow baking pan with paper towels and place it on the center shelf of the oven.

Pour 3 cups of vegetable oil into a 12-inch work or fill a deep fryer or large, heavy skillet with oil to a depth of about 2 inches. Heat the oil until it reaches a temperature of 375F on a deep fryer thermometer. Deep-fry the curry puffs 6 to 8 at a time, turning them with a slotted spoon for about 1 1/2 minutes, or until they are golden brown on both sides. As they brown, transfer them to the paper-lined pan to drain and keep them warm in the oven while you fry the rest. Serve hot.

If you want to make your own wonton wrappers, I can type up that recipe too!

Hmmm...these actually sounds pretty good...!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2012 at 05:04
Yes they do sound good Marrisa. I'm definately going to try those as well.

One trick to tuck into your apron pocket. When deep frying, forget about paper towels and bags from the grocery. When you use them the food is just sitting in a pile of grease. So, instead, drain fried food by laying it on a cake rack or something similar. Excess oil will drip off, as it does on towels. But the food doesn't sit in it.

Also, fwiw, I used to go through that trimming square wraps thing. Then discovered that round ones are available. Look for "gyoza" wraps instead of "won ton" wraps if you want round ones.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2012 at 05:23
Okay, I made these last night. Don't know if they're traditional or not, but they are similar to (Friend Wife says better than) the ones we had at Thai Smile the other day.

Whether or not they're better deponent sayeth not. But these will be a permanent part of my small bites repetory.

Curry Puffs

2 cups cooked chicken, chopped fine (1)
1 1/2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes (2)
1 tsp fish sauce
Squirt of Sriracha
1 heaping tbls curry powder
1 tsp freshly grated ginger root
Salt & pepper to taste
Zest & juice of 1/2 meyer lemon (3)
1 Pkg won ton wrappers (4)
Oil for deep frying

Mix all the filling ingredients until well blended.

Lay out a few won ton wrappers (I usually work six-up, but whatever is comfortable for you). Put a dollop of the filling in the center of each wrap. Brush lightly with water and fold the wrap in half, over the filling. Squeeze the edges to seal.

Heat about 2 inches of oil. When hot, fry the puffs, a few at a time, until golden brown and crisp. Drain. Serve while hot with dipping sauce of choice.

1. I used poached chicken cuz I had some on hand. But any cooked chicken should work. You want to chop it into a fine dice, but not mince it.

2. I started with a half cup and kept adding until the consistency seemed right. I have no doubt, however, that a 1:1 ratio of chicken and sweet potato would be fine.

3. If I'd had some on hand I would have used lemon grass. But I didn't, and did want a citrus addition, so used a Meyer lemon. A lime would have worked even better, I believe.

4. At Thai Smile they use square won ton wraps and fold them into a triangle. I used round goyoza wraps, folded into half moons. Either shape works out fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic