Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Gardening
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Late winter harvest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late winter harvest
    Posted: 02 March 2012 at 11:20
Just thought I would make any Northern gardeners here jealous!

In Texas, we grow veggies year round. This year has been a little hard on roots crops (beets and carrots are practically non-existent) but we've gotten some. Our family farm has a CSA - subscription vegetable baskets. I'm the taste tester of everything so I get a packaged basket just like the customers. I cook from it all week and then post pictures of my creations on the farm blog with some tips on what to do with certain veggies since a lot of people are new to eating seasonally.

So this is the basket that came this week:

PURPLE CAULIFLOWER! It's the first year we've grown it. Outrageous. I'm worried that the color will bleed out if I cook it, so I'm thinking of maybe light steaming and just serving with dip (along with some broccoli, carrots, radishes, etc).

The roots are a skinny type of parsnips - one of my favorite!

The greens just below the parsnips on the left is arugula and on the right is cilantro. Bibb lettuce above the parsnips, along with some broccoli. And the ubiquitous winter green - collards - on the far right.

Anybody else doing any harvesting now?
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 11:22
>>>Just thought I would make any Northern gardeners here jealous!<<<
and you did! you should have heard the things i was muttering as i saw and opened the post, and then i read the first line! lol

really like that picture. the colours there look good enough to eat through the screen. those parsnips would be great in so many stews that i can think of ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Aspen Hill View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspen Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2012 at 18:40
Yay!  Beautiful harvest.  I bet that cauliflower would make some fine soup!

BTW- Northern gardeners need not be jealous.  The saavy gardener is busy harvesting parsnips, beets, turnips, helianthus tubers, carrots, primrose roots, etc now from under the snow!

Thumbs Up
Marissa View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2012 at 12:55
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Aspen Hill wrote:

BTW- Northern gardeners need not be jealous.  The saavy gardener is busy harvesting parsnips, beets, turnips, helianthus tubers, carrots, primrose roots, etc now from under the snow!

Thumbs Up

Very true Aspen Hill! But even some Texas gardeners don't know or don't care to produce crops in the winter. My 80 year old neighbor was always eyeing me suspiciously when I'm out planting things in November and December for the first few years I've lived her. Her garden is a thing to behold (and be terribly jealous of!) each summer but she has never grown cold weather crops. She has been shocked at what I've produced! But she says she likes the time off anyway.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic