Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fats, Oils, Sauces, Sweets and Condiments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

My secret flavoring agents... tweaked vinegars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My secret flavoring agents... tweaked vinegars
    Posted: 08 March 2012 at 05:55

There are lot of things you can use as a "flavoring agent". I've seen people making flavored oils and I made many of those too. Sadly enough they don't keep and by experience, they are always a bit suspicious in my eyes; are they still good or not? So I stopped flavoring oils unless they are used immediately and ristricted my "secret flavoring agents" to making flavored vinegars.

Always use the vinegars sparingly, merely a few drops will do wonders, not only for tweaking the taste, but also for correcting the balance in dishes. It will take many dishes to another level.

Nothing fancy procedures, just plain good natural white vinegar in which I macerate stuff. They keep forever and get better the longer they are stored away!
Tarragon vinegar; Let's begin with tarragon. When it fully starts to grow, cut off a lot of branches, pour some vinegar out of the bottle and put the branches in the bottle, using the handle of a wooden spoon. Put as much in as you can. Now, put the bottle away for at least a year! The picture below was taken past year and as you can see, the tarragon bottle I just started to use dated from... 2002! The vinegar has lost the harshness but kept all tarragon flavor. This stuff is used to make béarnaise sauces, to sprinkle on a simple tomato salad (delicious!), to make mayonaise and in lots of sauces and jus. Simply a must have!

Then I tried out other stuff; elderflower blossoms, rose petals, purple basil.

A little different procedure than tarragon vinegar. I cut the blossoms from the flower"umbrella" of the elderflower and put them loosely in a large pharmacists glass jar and cover with vinegar. In another glass jar go the rose petals (I use rosa rugosa picked in the wild), and the leaves of purple basil in another jar. Note; green basis doesn't work well. I leave these blossoms, petals and leaves in their respective jars to macerate for up to two months, then sieve and put in small bottles; look at the color!

Elderflower blossom vinegar; fantastic when used in couscous, fish dishes, when blanching vegetables, a real "waaw" effect in many creamy sauces.

Rose petal vinegar; couscous and all other oriental inspired dishes

Purple basil vinegar; any preparation with tomato like tomato sauces but also in meat sauces and jus from pork roast etc.

A nice label made with Coreldraw and they also get in the cellar. You can start to use these vinegars immediately. Also, ...nice gift to cooking friends!!!

I also tried to make vinegar flavored with common green basil; however, it's a waste of time. Purple basil works best!

Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2012 at 07:14
Great minds run in the same channels, Chris. Based on the discussion about tarrago on another thread I've bee thinking about an herbal vinegar post.

One flavor we tend to not think of is chive. I never had until last year. We're about to enter the chive season, so it's a good time to talk about it.

What you use for chive vinegar is the flowers. You fill the jar with them, pour in the vinegar, and you're set to go. With this one you want to wait a few days, so the color leaches into the vinegar. You wind up with a lovely purple vinegar, with a hint of oniony flavor from the chives.

One general comment: If all you're interested in is the herbal flavor there's no reason not to use other vinegars. Apple cider, red- and white-wine vinegar, etc. can all be enhanced by the addition of herbs. What you lose, however, is the visual impact. For that, plain white works best.

ChrisFlanders View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 04:23
I should have mentioned that the tarragon flavored vinegar is by no means something I came up with. It's been used all over France and my country since eternity. It's always stored with the tarragon branches still in the bottle.

@Brook; I tested a lot of flavored vinegar variations, but I now ristrict myself to the more or less exotic ones like I mentioned above. However, can't stop experimenting, last year I made a combined batch  with dille and an entire small horse radish root. Very nice in the poaching liquid of salmon and other fish!!

I haven't tried chives, but I was thinking to try of what we call "daslook" (translated badger garlic), if I'm not mistaken you call it "ramps". Could also be something interesting.

I'm certainly going to try lovage which we also call "Maggi herb" (Maggi refers to the cubes) which tastes incredibly strong like celery. It's impossible to dry but I keep some lovage leaves in my freezer, that works very well.  A few lovage leaves in steamed mussels... heaven!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 10:32
i have never tried this, but growing my own herbs, i really should. will see how it goes this year.

chris, thanks for this comment right here:

>>>merely a few drops will do wonders, not only for tweaking the taste, but also for correcting the balance in dishes. It will take many dishes to another level.<<<

this concept has never occurred to me, but of course it makes sense, and gives me another reason to try this - thank you!

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 05:01

Here's a simple dish that undergoes an incredible change in taste, using vinegar and a little sugar. Nowadays you can buy precooked beetroot that's easy to work with. Of course you can boil your own if you like. Peel and cut the cooked beetroot in small cubes. Add red onion slices, a good sprinkle of ajowan (=lovage seeds, ethnic stores) which taste like a softer version of thyme, a pinch of chili flakes, a tbsp of tarragon vinegar or another vinegar mentioned above, a good sprinkle of sugar (1 teaspoon to start), s&p. You can tweak the balance by adding more vinegar and sugar. Beetroot has never been that alive!

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2012 at 08:36
chris, this looks similar to some pickled beets that i made last autumn:

these turned out really well, and i am thinking they can even be improved by incorporating some of your methods, including the onion and tarragon vinegar.

thanks for sharing!

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2012 at 08:47
Plus, Ron,  the ones you made are ideal for making Amish Red Beet Eggs, which can be another use of flavored vinegars:

12 eggs, boiled and peeled
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water
3/4 cups vinegar
1 quart canned red beets and juice

Mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, water and vinegar in a saucepan and heat until the sugars dissovle, strirring occasioally. Add the beets and their juice to the mixture and pour over the peeled eggs. Refrigerate at least 12 hours.

You may have to turn the eggs, from time to time, to assure even color.
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 06:46

And some updating, it's fourraging time!

1. Vinegar

Now is the very best time to make elderblossom vinegar!!!

The "umbrellas" of flowers just come out and they smell fantastic. Just pick some and add to a plain white vinegar. Use some good quality vinegar. I use a pair of scissors to cut the flowers from their umbrella at 1/2 inch from the top, you don't need to measure, just cut at the height you want. Put the flower part you just cut off in the vinegar and set in the sun for a few weeks; 4-6 weeks, it's not important. Shake from time to time. You will be so pleased to have your very own unreal flowery and fruity tasting vinegar. So simple to make, incredible taste for use on salads, couscous, mayo, vinaigrettes...

2. Elderflowerbuds capers

I've seen this done by one of those new young inspired chefs that go fourraging in the wild. Something I had to try. Pick the buds just before they open, take the buds from the "umbrellas" (I used... a comb!) and add to a 6% vinegar. Store away for 5 weeks at the least. There you go, your own very special tiny capers. A little warning; it's an insane bit of work and your kitchenfloor is covered with tiny flowerbuds... it may well be my first and only try!

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 14:18
Would that work with dill heads/flowers too?

About the chive vinegar- do you put the flower heads in whole, or pick the little individual blossoms off?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 16:31
The dill flowers, per se, aren't really big enough to play with, Melissa. Try just putting the complete umbrels in the vinegar. Works just as well, and looks pretty.

With the chive vinegar we use the complete flowers. Being as they'll be strained out anyway, no sense trying to separate the blossoms. Only takes about a week to leech out the color and the oniony aroma.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 18:13
Thanks! Mine are at peak bloom right now. Maybe a little past, but I hope there will still be some good ones left tomorrow.
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 04:43
Melissa, I have to count on Brook on how to use dille. That herb just won't grow in my garden. However, I experimented with lots of other herbs to make flavoured vinegars. It just takes some of your time and a bottle of vinegar, not such a big expense for try-outs. And, it's always exciting to see how it comes along, the color changing, the aroma... and last but not least the satisfaction of having captured such wonderfull taste and aroma, ready to be used in so many dishes.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 05:19
I vote with Chris on this. Vinegar is cheap, so leaves lots of room for experimenting.  

Virtually any herb can be used to create a flavored vinegar (technically, they're called "acetums"). Whether the flavor and color is appealing is merely a personal taste thing.

Among the herbal vinegars I've made are chive (of course), tarragon, tyme and basil, (which I don't recommend). Others, like dill, have been used to flavor pickling brines.

Nor do you need confine yourself to herbs. Chilies in vinegar, for instance, produce a hot condiment many find appealing. (a variation on that theme, btw, is to use Sherry instead of vinegar)
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 15:40
Well, I now have a jar of chive flowers steeping in vinegar. Thanks for the suggestion!

The only other things I've got growing right now are mint and lavender. Don't know how they'd be in vinegar.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 19:39
I think that the mint would work well, 
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 05:58
Melissa, whatever you try with mint, do not use the flowers! They taste very bad!!! Only the leaves are usable. I had the experience in making tincture with mint flowers and some research confirmed that mint flowers are very bitter! I haven't made vinegar yet from mint leaves, but I guess it's very possible.

However, I make a syrup with 50/50 water and sugar, let it boil for a while, take from the heat, add a good handfull of mint leaves only (no flowers as said!) and let them infuse until the liquid has cooled entirely. Sieve and cool in the fridge. Fantastic on strawberries, fresh pine apple (yummmm...), vanilla icecream etc. 
You can reduce the syrup on the fire and freeze in small containers for later...
Edit; add some fresh lemonjuice to this syrup to give it more depth.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 15:37
Sounds delicious!

I wonder what mint vinegar would be good with. Peas?
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 05:14
I forgot to mention you need some lemonjuice in the mint syrup I posted earlier, Melissa.
The syrup keeps amost 2 weeks in the refrigerator. I always make small batches and very little to freeze for use in wintertime.

Where can you use mint vinegar? After a lot of experiments, I ristricted my own collection of vinegar to the ones I use frequently. Mint vinegar is one of those examples where you could ask yourself if it's worth making it. There's a very limites number of dishes in which you could use it.
You can make a lot of flavoured vinegars that are going to be used a lot more; like vinegars infused with whole small young branches of rosemary (delicious in any tomato sauce!), branches of tarragon, wild rose petals, branches of dille, elderflower blossom (my favorite), etc. When using branches, simply wash them, pour some vinegar out of the bottle and push the branches in the remaining vinegar, using the handle of a wooden spoon. Put as many in as you can. Store away like that until needed. I have vinegars over 10 years old with tarragon leaves still in the bottle! Those old vinegars lose much acidic harshness but the aroma of the tarragon is quite strong and delicious.
If I were you, I would certainly make something similar using dille branches. I can't grow it, but it should be perfect in all fish dishes and many others.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 15:55
I can think of multiple uses for dill vinegar.I may even have some dill growing. :crosses fingers:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 19:28
One addition to Chris' comments, Melissa. It is important that the herbs stay submerged in the vinegar.

Some of them do have a tendency to float. What you can do, in those cases, is to make a plug out of parsley, and jam it into the neck of the bottle. Keep the level of the vinegar above the parsley, though.

Although the parsley probably is adding it's own flavor to the mix, it is so mild that the primary herb overpowers it. If you're using tarragon sprigs, for instance, you will get tarragon vinegar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic