Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Curing of Meats, Charcuterie and Smokehouse Specialties
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Rump Biltong

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rump Biltong
    Posted: 13 March 2012 at 12:46
Rump Biltong
South African Dry Beef

This used to be made by the farmers to preserve their meat.

Here's what you need:

2 Lb beef rump
Mix of spices (see photo below)
Brown vinegar

In a container sprinkle some spices. Put the first layers of meat, then sprinkle spices and some vinegar on the meat and repeat until all is done.

Into to the fridge it goes for 24 hours.

Hang the meat in the cellar with a fan for air circulation for 7 days.

Here are some photos, starting with the curing and spice mix:

Here is the brown vinegar:

The beef:

Start with spices and cure in the bottom layer:

Add beef and then more spices and vinegar on every layer

After 24 hours in the fridge hang it to dry for 7 days with good air circulation:

7 days later, it is ready:

Yum!

It has a great taste.
Ahron
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 12:52
Ahron - biltong is one that I have been wanting to try! Two questions, if I may:

a) What purpose does the bicarbonate of soda serve? I am guessing to help in drying or perhaps to counteract the vinegar?

b) I am not familiar with brown vinegar - is that the same as we call malt vinegar here in the US?

Thank you for posting, my friend! It looks wonderfully delicious, and I love your wine/meat cellar!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 14:11
Hi Ron

The vinegar is a brown spirit or malt vinegar. The vinegar and the bicarbonate of soda is to protect the meat from bacteria.

Biltong from venison is a marriage from heaven.
Ahron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 21:18
I started a batch of Ahron's biltong tonight, using 2 pounds of hind-quarter roast from a mule deer.

My youngest son cut the roast into wide strips about 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick while I put the curing and spice mix together, following the measurements above as given by Ahron; the only difference is that I used Morton's Tender Quick rather than Cure #1 and salt combined:

1/4 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dark brown cane sugar
4 teaspoons Morton Tender Quick
4 teaspoons toasted, ground coriander

We layered the spice mix, venison and a total of 6 teaspoons of malt vinegar in a large ziplock bag; after sealing the bag closed, we gently massaged the it and its contents in order to ensure that the cure and spices were evenly distributed, then put the bag into the refrigerator.

Once the 24-hour curing time has passed, we'll dry the biltong as described above. Judging by the aroma coming from this combination of spices, I am guessing that this will be some great stuff!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 10:03
A quick update on this:

Our biltong actually cured for 48 hours instead of 24, simply due to our being busy...no big deal.

We placed the cured meat on racks in an enclosed space with good airflow (safe from our cats!) and are currently waiting out the drying time. Our slices of venison are a little smaller and thinner than those shown in Ahron's photos; more like elongated medallions, rather than strips. Because of this, the drying time may be different; however, our airflow is not going to be quite as good due to the enclosed space, so it might even out.

This combination smells really nice; the garlic and coriander are a match made in Heaven, and the elements of the malt vinegar add a really nice depth. I believe that this is going to turn out very well.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2018 at 10:03
Well, our first attempt at biltong was indeed a success, and I am hooked! It tasted great, and I enjoyed the texture, which is slightly different than jerky due to the thickness of the cuts.

The flavor combination is just about perfect, in my opinion, and I was surprised that such a small amount of garlic went as far as it did. The coriander was definitely a star of this, providing some taste experience that hadn't really explored before, and the brown/malt vinegar was another great choice, as making this a unique treat that is sure to be a favourite.

I highly recommend that anyone with an interest should give this a try - you won't be disappointed!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2018 at 16:39

Looks amazing Gentlemen. 

I believe you two should consider opening a tiny bistro !!  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
ddufore View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddufore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2018 at 07:51
I’ve wanted to try this for a while. I think after the first of the year I’ll give it a try. I plan to cure in a ziplock bag. For the 2 lbs. of meat what would be the correct amount of vinegar to add? Thanks.
ddufore View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddufore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2018 at 08:04
Sorry, I missed the 6 tsp under the photo. I’ll report back after it is done.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 09:07
Hi, Dan -

Yep, that's it; 6 tablespoons.

With luck, I'll be getting another batch of this going over the coming weekend.
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 09:18
Getting ready to give this a try. A question though: What is a good temperature range for drying? My woodshop is held at 55-63F during winter. Thought I would construct a screened cage to keep mice off and that I can cover when I'm working to protect from sanding dust, etc. Or are summer temps more appropriate?
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Wannabebwana View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabebwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2020 at 19:32
Tom, the important thing is moving, dry air. 

Much of Africa actually gets quite cool.  I know my first trip to Namibia we had 0 Celsius overnight, and on my trip to South Africa we had snow.  Both times they were making biltong.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 08:34
+1 on that.

Keep in mind that any sort of jerky, by whatever name, depends on drawing the moisture out of the meat. That's achieved by passing dry air continually across the product.  

True, the higher the temperature (within reason), the faster the dehydration occurs.  But heat, per se, is unnecessary. In fact, too much heat can be counterproductive, as it drys the surface but retards drying of the interior.  

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 18:23
okay thanks
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 19:37
Started a batch Monday night using the Tenderquick version. Hung it last night in a purpose-built box out in my 50-55F woodshop in front of a household fan. Just checked it--surprisingly dry already. The front of the cage is screwed on so I did not open it to do a squeeze test. Will do that tomorrow. We'll soon se some, hopefully good, results. 
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2020 at 15:33
Checked tonight. Medium soft to finger pressure so I cut a little peice. I have a bit of a cold so I couldn't taste much besides black pepper. Wasn't as salty as I expected; would have preferred a little more. It wasn't as dry as I would like--the interior texture was a little "squishy". You know, that texture that is a little off-putting from a full-on rare steak? I'll try it again on Saturday.

I took a couple pictures. I'll post if someone will be so kind as to provide idiot-proof instructions for posting them. Thanks.

Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Wannabebwana View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabebwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2020 at 20:04
Use imgur.com. You’ll have to create an account then upload.  Select the link that has a jpg suffix, and insert it between [ img ] and [ /img ] (remove the spaces as the software keeps blanking the code out)

Seems to be taking a bit longer.  Maybe increase the fan speed?  Mine only took about 3 days.  When it is done it will be hard enough to knock on the table.  Heck, the bigger pieces I saw in SA you could club someone with.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic