Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Jarrod's Chicken Parma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jarrod's Chicken Parma
    Posted: 15 March 2012 at 14:15
Jarrod's Chicken Parma

This is a very easy and truly delicious dish that is perfect for a night of Italian feasting with friends or family, and I can't thank Jarrod enough for sharing it with us.

Here is Jarrod's recipe, doubled for my preparation:

Quote Chicken Parmigiana

For the Sauce:

2 large cans of diced tomatoes
2 large onions diced
4 large cloves of garlic diced
2 teaspoons mixed herbs
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon Oregano
Sugar to taste
2 Beef stock cubes
Salt and pepper to taste

Also needed:

8 Chicken Breasts
Bread crumbs
Plain flour
Egg & milk wash
Salt and pepper
Bit of olive oil for cooking
Sliced Canadian bacon, ham or proscuitto
Tasty Italian cheese for topping

Method:

Start with the sauce: Place onion and garlic in fry pan and cook till soft, add herbs. Now add tomatoes, beef stock cube and tomato paste and cook till nice and thick. Add salt and pepper and sugar to taste (normally will need a fair whack of sugar). Simmer.

Next, butterfly chicken breast and beat out so nice and even (glad wrap helps). Coat chicken breasts with flour and then dunk into egg mixture and then crumb. Shallow fry till nice and brown and set aside.

Cook ham till nice and brown. Place chicken breasts on a baking tray and place ham on top of chicken. Spread sauce in a nice even layer over the top of the ham covered breast and then sprinkle with tasty cheese.

Place in oven (180C/400F) till cheese goes nice and brown

To start with, as always, here are the goods, as per the recipe above:

It looks like a lot, but it really isn't, and with a little prep work, the procedures for this went by in very good time, making this dish a very "fluid," or easy-going recipe to prepare.

In the picture above, I intended to use proscuitto; however, I remembered that we actually had some Canadian bacon in the refrigerator that needed to be used:

I decided to go ahead and use the Canadian bacon, both to stick closer to Jarrod's recipe, and also to make good use of the Canadian bacon, which is of course extremely similar to ham.

After chopping the onion and garlic:

I got going on the sauce, which was very easy to prepare:

You want to get the sauce to simmering first thing, so that it will be rich, savory and full of depth, just in time for its marriage to your chicken.

While the sauce simmered in anticipation, I lightly pounded each chick breast between two layers of saran wrap:

Then, after a quick dip-and-shake in flour, then in egg/milk wash, then in breadcrumbs, I gave them the Milanese treatment in hot olive oil:

Meanwhile, I seared my slices of Canadian bacon a little on each side:

By this time, the sauce, chicken and Canadian bacon were ready, so I put this work of art together. First, I layered a little sauce on the bottom of a baking dish, then laid out my chicken:

Then, I placed two slices of Canadian bacon on each chicken breast:

And then I covered each chicken breast with sauce, topping with a shredded blend of Italian cheeses:

I repeated the assembly steps above for our second batch, which was nearly as beautiful as the first:

After this, I tossed both baking dishes into the oven at 390 degrees so that everything could get acquainted while the cheese melted and browned up a little. When the cheese was just about perfect, I removed this wonderful stuff from the oven:

Here's the second baking dish:

Up until now, things had been going so well, without a single flaw, and I thought I was home-free for a perfect meal. It was right about this time that fate decided to remind me that I am human, and when I went to serve the best-looking piece of chicken on the plate, it fell off the spatula and created a beautiful, sloppy mess! Because of this, I lost my chance for a nice plated picture; however, I think you will still be able to get an idea of how good this was:

As you can see, we served the Chicken Parma with mashed potatoes, although rice, pasta or - best of all - an attempt at risotto would have been good here.

Here's another shot that really gives demonstrates the rich goodness we experienced with this dish:

The meal tasted great - I cannot brag this one up enough! It was easy to prepare and a true pleasure to enjoy. One of the things I like about it best is that it really is home-made, from start to finish, and the loving care in preparation comes through in the results. Sure, a person could go get a jar of sauce, but where is the satisfaction in that, when a much better sauce is so easy to make? Following the outline here, anyone, and I mean anyone, can make this, and even an inexperienced cook will shine like a star and be a hero when everyone is dining.

Once again, my sincere thanks go out to Jarrod for sharing this; I urge anyone who enjoys Italian food to give this one a try - there will be no disappointments.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 03:20
Nice job Ron...I can almost smell it through the screen.

We used to make this at the firehouse quite a bit but I haven't made it in years. Now you've got the wheels turning again. My version of this dish is a little different technique-wise...I'll make sure to post it when I make it.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 03:28
Lovely take on CHICKEN PARMIGIANA and this dish originated in Sicily. It travelled on the Immigration Route to NAPOLI ( Naples ) and these 2 type of Italians were the most populous going to the Manhattan, USA where the dish had been quite popular.

I do mine with my Grandmom´s Bolognese Ragù and Sicilian Eggplant Slices or Veal cutlets and I use herbed provolone cheese and Proscuitto di parma. 

It is sensationally sinful.

I am wondering which cheese have u sprinkled on the cutlets ?

I see Ron has used a different cheese variety.

Thanks again for posting.
Margi Cintrano
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 10:05
hi, margi, and thank you for the information ~ when i made this dish, i used a shredded blend of italian cheeses that is commonly availabe up here and includes mozzarella, parmesan, romano, asiago, provolene and sometimes one other cheese that i can't remember at the moment. it's a very good blaned indeed ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
jdonly1 View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdonly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 15:54
Looks great mate and glad u enjoyed it.Parmas are a regular at our place now adays and we eat less of them at the pub as ours are pretty much always betterWink
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 04:40
Yes, I am going to try it next week however, I am also going to try that Lemon Chicken Tagine --- The parmigiana ( parmesan is a cheese ) chicken ... so I have to do one Saturday and one Sunday.

Perhaps the parmigiana for Sat. and the tagine for Sunday ... that is it ...

I make eggplant parmigiana and veal in italia --- in Spain, just the eggplant one ... So the chicken shall be a nice change ---

I look forward to making it.

I must run, have to check on the Guiness stout marinaded cornbeef ---

I am doing different types of cabbage family veggies --- a Swiss Chard ( acelgas ), a Cavolo black cabbage and a Broccoli Rabe ... ( we wanted something a bit different ) ... I have to check on things and run to bakery, and get a simple plain sponge that I am going to make a green food coloring mint frosting with ...

Hasta luego,
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 11:27
I'm thinking this for supper tonight ~ we defrosted some chicken breasts, and I have everything else to make it - an easy weeknight dish!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 11:46

Tas,

The 50% Italian becomes 100% when I am aromatized 11.000 miles away !!

I do more or less same with Eggplant, my favorite vegetable prepared Parmigiana ... and use Prosciutto ...

Kind regards.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 10:03
well, this turned out excellent again - chunky, home-made tomato sauce in the robust Sicilian style, juicy chicken, toasted Italian cheeses - all worked together to make a wonderful meal that was so easy to make, my kids were able to have it ready for us when we got home from work.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 03:18

Tas,

Looks good ... and great week day lunch at 15.00 / 16.00 hours ...

M.

jdonly1 View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdonly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 17:08
I dont think I have ordered one from the pub for well over a year now.Its bad when you can make some thing that is so simple and better than you can buy any whereBig smile 
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 02:08
JD,

Thank you for posting your great take on Sicilian " Parmigiana" ... I love mine with aubergine or eggplant and shall give your recipe a try, in near future ...

Kind regards.
Margi Cintrano.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 07:27
Originally posted by jdonly1 jdonly1 wrote:

Its bad when you can make some thing that is so simple and better than you can buy any whereBig smile 

I've been running into this a lot lately! Tongue

Margi - do indeed give Jarrod's recipe a try; you will love it, and I can only imagine how awesome the sauce would be when cooked with fresh Mediterranean ingredients.....
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 10:10
Tas,

Tomorrow is Hoser´s Swedish Meatballs; however, it is definitely on our list --- we have Easter Holidays coming up; and thus, before we go on our little epicurean escape; I shall definitely prepare JD´s recipe --- with Mediterranean fresh ingredients, and document the substituted items and take photos !!!

I have real Reggiano Parmesano ... and of course Prosciutto di Parma Ham ... I also, believe I shall follow JD´s recipe however, sub Eggplant for the Chicken ... or do 2 dishes ... 1 with eggplant and 1 with chicken breast cutlets ... leftovers for subs the next day !

Kindest.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 06:45
Jarrod recently made this, and shared a photo:

As nice as I thought my version looked, I'd say the original looks even better! 

This is tasty stuff, people - give it a try ~ 

jdonly1 View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdonly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 13:29
Cheers mate :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic