Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Herb: Basil - India, Asia & Africa 400 B.C.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herb: Basil - India, Asia & Africa 400 B.C.
    Posted: 23 March 2012 at 08:34
BASIL: Basil´s Latin name is Ocimum Basilicum, and this herb is an annual with leafy stems that is native to India, Asia and Africa.

People have cooked with Basil since 400 B.C. and it is the quintessential herb in Thai Cuisine, Mediterranean, especially Italian and Vietnamese Gastronomy.

There are approximately 60 types of Basil.

It grows extraordinarily well in full sun with lots of water, and is most flavourful before it flowers.

Basil pairs best with the following foods:  tomato and bufala di mozzarella, grilled vegetables, to flavor Italian olive oils, Genovese Pesto, pasta, pizza and chicken.

Italian: Basilio
Spanish: Albahaca

*** MEMBERS: please let us here from you, in reference to how do you use basil herb ? Fresh ? Dried ? Do you plant basil ?

Thanks again,
Margi Cintrano
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 08:48
hi, margi, and thanks for such a great write-up!

i've been groing basil for a few years now, but only in the last couple of years has it really been doing well. i think it's because i've started moving them outside when they come up in the spring. i like using basil for just about everything italian - if i did any indian or southeast asian cooking, i would probably use it then, as well.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 08:53
I have copied this to the herb and spice primer thread as well.

I'd like some feedback about how I handled it.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 03:17
Good Morning,

Ron:
Pleased to hear that your basil is doing well. Love basil ...

Historic Foodie:
Thanks. Could you add some growing tips for basil ? Since you have a Green Thumb or 2 ...

Margi.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 03:20
Historic Foodie,

This is fine with me --- perfect place.
Have a nice wkend.
Margi. Cintrano.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 03:26
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

*** MEMBERS: please let us here from you, in reference to how do you use basil herb ? Fresh ? Dried ? Do you plant basil ?

I do indeed plant basil and have been a basil lover for a long time.

My favorite application for it is in a Caprese salad on a warm summer afternoon, but there are many, many more. I wrap it around cheese with salami, place it in a spring roll wrapper and deep fry it...make a butter with roasted garlic and shallots to stuff inside my lobster when I grill it. Foil wrap some fish and top it with tomato, basil and tarragon before grilling.

Go ahead...play with your food!
ChrisFlanders View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 03:48
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

i've been groing basil for a few years now, but only in the last couple of years has it really been doing well. i think it's because i've started moving them outside when they come up in the spring. i like using basil for just about everything italian - if i did any indian or southeast asian cooking, i would probably use it then, as well.
Ron, last summer I had an incredible amount of basil that kept on growing on just one plant I bought in spring! When the plant nicely matured, I cut nearly all tips (10-15 cm) every single week to use the leaves. This cutting prevents the basil from flowering too. Once it produces flowers the plant puts all its energy in the flowers and seeds that will follow, instead of growing.

Anyway, the cutting isn't the main factor in growing basil succesfully, last year's super result was due to the fact that basil simply hates... sunshine, so I kept the plant inside.
I bought just one small plant and put it in a much bigger terracotta pot to give it plenty of growing space. It stayed inside in the greenhouse but in a shady spot, out of the sunshine.

Maybe one word on the asian basil; it's a totally different kind of basil, it even tastes different!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 04:06
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

I have copied this to the herb and spice primer thread as well.

I'd like some feedback about how I handled it.

I think the copy job looks fine Brook.
Go ahead...play with your food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 05:07
Hoser, do you think that format works? That it, general text at the top, and a running list of herbgs and spices below?

I'm wondering, too, if under the running list we shouldn't have a listing of regional and ethnic herbal use. Something as simple as, Spain: (list of commonly used herbs and spices). We wouldn't have to describe them in this location, cuz details would be in the running list.

Waddayathink?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 09:46
Anyway, the cutting isn't the main factor in growing basil succesfully, last year's super result was due to the fact that basil simply hates... sunshine, so I kept the plant inside.

I bought just one small plant and put it in a much bigger terracotta pot to give it plenty of growing space. It stayed inside in the greenhouse but in a shady spot, out of the sunshine.

chris - reading your post, i am reminded that i also planted it in much bigger pots the last two years - considering your comments regarding sunshine, i am guessing that the "room to grow" was probably the main factor for my success last year. looking forward to seeing how it goes this year ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 09:49
I'm wondering, too, if under the running list we shouldn't have a listing of regional and ethnic herbal use. Something as simple as, Spain: (list of commonly used herbs and spices). We wouldn't have to describe them in this location, cuz details would be in the running list.

brook - check my other comments on the primer. i think your suggestion above would dovetail well - i see two possibilities: a) the running list for herbs and spices, with the ethnic suggestions contained within the description for each herb/spice ~ or b) as you suggest, with the running list and then regional/thnic uses below. either way sounds fine to me, so i would say go with what works best for you and margi when it comes to putting everything together. my only suggestion is that a for each cuisine/region/country would be a good idea so that someone using the primer can instantly go there.

looking good, guys - thank you very much for your work with this!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 12:20
Thanks Ron for all your support ... It is always wonderful collaborating with you.

As Historic Foodie, had suggested: it would be phenomenal if we could have a photo uploaded for each of the herbs ... Since Historic Foodie does not know how to download or upload photos, perhaps, if you can assist this project in this manner, we would be grateful.

Thanks and I shall be posting more tomorrow. Have had a busy day with magazine.

Kindest.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 12:38
i'll do what i can - those watercolours you mentioned sound like theywould be perfect! if you can send them, i'll see if i can get them formatted and uploaded to my photobucket for posting.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 02:58
Ron,

Would it be easier to scan the herb watercolors, and pendrive to via email to you directly and / or

scan them and photo bucket, and I shall give you my details for entrance, via private email and all you have to do, is upload onto the Forum, in the herb section ---

What is best for you ?

I have watercolors of: mint, sage, tarragon, basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme -- and cilantro / coriander ...

Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 07:09
margi - go ahead and email them directly to me when you are able to, and i'll take care of them! Thumbs Up
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 08:59
Ron,

Appreciate all your assistance in this matter. Dave Hoser´s  photo selections are just stunning ! I am truly pleased with all both of you are doing.
Happy Birthday !!!
Margi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic