Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > Eastern Canada
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Rago没t de pattes de cochon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rago没t de pattes de cochon
    Posted: 16 February 2010 at 05:55
Literally translated "Stew with feet of the pig"
I often use a small smoked shoulder rather than hocks or feet

This is a traditional French Canadian holiday stew familiar to people here in New England, probably not so elsewhere. Pure comfort food.

Rago没t:

2 cups all purpose flour, browned...(technique follows)
4 pigs's feet or ham hocks
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 pounds meatballs (recipe follows)
1 large onion studded with 8 or 9 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Water, or chicken stock to cover by 2 inches.

MEATBALLS:

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 pinch nutmeg
salt and pepper
2 slices of bread, soaked in milk and squeezed dry
1 egg, beaten

TO BROWN THE FLOUR:

Turn the oven to it's highest setting, and place rack in the middle.
Place flour in an oven-proof skillet, place in oven 4-6 minutes , then stir.
Repeat this process watching carefully so it doesn't burn, 4-6 times, stirring each time until the flour is a light caramel color. Remove from oven and reserve.

MEATBALLS:

Mix the meatball ingredients and make balls about 1 inch in diameter. place on a sheet pan and bake 15 minutes at 350掳

RAGOUT:

In a large Dutch oven, place the ham hocks, studded onion, bay leaves and salt and pepper. Cover with chicken broth or water by two inches and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until meat is tender. Remove from heat and let meat cool. Discard the skin and fat from the hocks and pull the meat off in chunks. Remove as much fat as possible from the broth.

Return the pork to Dutch oven , add chicken and meatballs and bring to a boil. Make sure the meat is covered with broth (add stock if necessary) and reduce heat to simmer.

Mix the browned flour with cold water a bit at a time, until a thick paste has formed.

Place one large spoonful at a time into the pot and stir until desired thickness is obtained.

Serve over hot boiled potatoes.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Montana Maddness View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 17:32
That does sound like a must try recipe. Great picture.
Hotter the better bring on the peppers!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2010 at 03:38
Regarding variations, go for it, if you want to (or need to).

The last time I made it, I just made a Cajun style roux instead of browning the flour in the oven, which is a bit of a PITA.

To be honest with you, I couldn't tell the difference once the spices were in it...it's a very unique taste..reminiscent of Moroccan, or Greek cuisine with the cinnamon and cloves.

Also...since pigs feet or ham hocks can be difficult to find at times around here, I will often use a small smoked shoulder in place of the pigs feet.

I will be making this....not next week, but the week after and will do a tutorial at that time, with my shortcuts included.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 04:48
using beef chuck for part of the recipe would be a nice variation, because the original recipe has double pork...you know, some in the meatballs, then the shoulder or ham hocks.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2011 at 07:28
I'm making a batch of New Year's Ragout as we speak...the chicken is in the pot, have a small smoked shoulder instead of pig's feet, and I'm about to make the meatballs. I will finish the dish this afternoon, but we won't eat it until tomorrow...much like any good stew or chili...it's flavor enhances a great deal by being refrigerated for the night, then warmed up tomorrow.
I'll post the pics as I get it done.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 02:55
This dish, like so many others evolved from leftovers from the holiday celebrations..it seems much of peasant food did come into being that way. 

Since I had no leftover chicken, I put a fryer into the pot with some bay leaves, onion, peppercorns and salt and let it simmer until it fell off the bone.

It was then time to turn my attention to the meatballs...I used a lovely pork, veal and beef mix they had at my local market. The pork shoulder also went into the pot when the chicken came out.

When I tossed the shoulder in to simmer, I also put in an onion that was well-studded with whole cloves...simmered until it was ready to pull.

While that was simmering, I soaked some bread in milk, measured out the rest of the ingredients for the meatballs, and got to work. I like to add the spices to the egg before it goes into the meat mixture...I feel it gets a little better distribution that way.

Then mix it all up and make the meatballs

Into a 350掳F oven they go, for about 15 minutes...just want to brown them..they will finish cooking with the other meats.

It was at this point, when I took them out of the oven that I realized I had forgotten the onion and garlicCensoredEmbarrassed, so I gave then a liberal dusting with granulated garlic and onion salt.

Now we pull the shoulder into fairly large chunks and get the roux out of the fridge...Everything goes back into the pot and simmers for a bit, then we thicken it up. The roux looks a little "funky" in this pic, but it is just because I keep a jar in the fridge...the oil separates. Just give it a good stir and pour in it.

This is a large batch of Ragout...I wound up using the entire jar of roux.

Post will continue this evening...I will make a nice pot of boiled potatoes for the missus, and a pot of rice for myself, some veggies and rolls and we will plate and chow down!

got14u View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote got14u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 08:47
Oh man that looks excellent Dave !
Jerod

Life's hard, it's even harder when your stupid.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 17:27
OK...ball game is over, and my mighty Patriots have made it a good afternoon.....Just warming up the ragout now, putting on some potatoes and rice, some sweet peas and we are chowing down.

I actually had to thicken the gravy a bit more today with some cornstach slurry, but the final verdict was a good one...here are two pics...one plated on potatoes, and one on rice.

Thanks for checking out my ragout!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2014 at 07:39
Bumping this up because it is almost the new year.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2016 at 13:26
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

Bumping this up because it is almost the new year.
I'm so glad you bumped this.  I had to change my plans a bit but I knew I had to make this as soon as I saw it.  It is a wonderful dish with flavors very different than I would normally expect out of a stew.  Excellent stuff and thanks for sharing!

drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2016 at 15:25
Why leave out ears , snouts and tails?
Let's not even start on the various things to do with the parts that fall out when you unzip a pig.
;<D
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2016 at 02:53
Nice job there G-man...glad you enjoyed it. Clap
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2016 at 19:14
Every time I see this, I love the way it looks. The Beautiful Mrs. Tas, however, would say "no." :(
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic