Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > New England and the Northeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Dynamite Sandwich

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dynamite Sandwich
    Posted: 16 February 2010 at 06:42
Boy oh, boy! talk about local recipes...this one isn't just a local recipe, it's a microcosm! Nobody outside of a twenty mile radius around the city of Woonsocket, Rhode Island will have a clue what the heck you are talking about if you mention a "Dynamite Sandwich"

Woonsocket has a heavy French-Canadian influence, from all the immigrants that came to work in the textile mills in the 19th century. It is this influence that produced this local delight. There are many variations on my recipe...actually mine is most unusual. Most people use tomato sauce in theirs, I prefer it without.

The dynamite is nothing more than a spicy ground beef sandwich with peppers and onions, and with the variation you choose.

There is a huge cookoff every year, and a new dynamite champ is crowned. The winner gets their recipe published, and the tourism council has it made, and sells jars for fundraising.

Hoser's Dynamites

2 lbs ground beef
2 lbs onions, large dice
2 lbs bell peppers, large dice
3 stalks celery, diced
1 quart beef broth
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Frank's hot sauce to taste

Heat oil in large Dutch oven and add crushed red pepper. Saute' pepper until oil turns red, then add ground beef, onions, peppers and celery.

Cook, stirring frequently until beef is browned and onions translucent. Season with salt and pepper as needed.

Add beef stock to just cover the mixture. At this point it's a matter of taste...hot sauce, cumin, chili powder, whatever you want.
Reduce heat and simmer one hour.

Serve on Sub roll with chips and pickles on the side.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 06:45
awesome! this is what it's about, dave!Beer
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 11:58
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 15:42
dang, thanks for bumping this up, I hadn't seen it before. Sounds a bit like spicy sloppy joes. i'm game for trying it!
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2019 at 02:11
They're great with a couple cold beers and some chips Mike.

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 01:15

Hoser, 

Congratulations.  

Definitely has a Mediterranean slant !  Sounds like a cross between a Pisto Manchego & A Ragut Bolognese on a sándwich !  

Cool !!!  

Best wishes ..  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic