Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Fun Food Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 03:16

The longest smoked sausage ever made was in Bucharest. The sausage was 392 meters long, and weighed over one ton. It was prepared by 25 cold cut workers from Pitesti, on behalf of the Romanian capitol.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 04:02
Now that's cool! I wonder how it tasted....probably pretty darn good!
Montana Maddness View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 08:06
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

In the United States, a pound of potato chips costs 200 times more than a pound of potatoes.

Time to get out the deep fryer???
Friggen scary isn't it? And yet in this recesion they still sell like crazy!
Hotter the better bring on the peppers!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 03:39
Celery is the perfect diet food. You actually burn more calories chewing it than you receive from it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 05:50
I've heard that before, but it never seemed to work for me. Must have been the peanut butter or gobs of blue cheese dip I used to mask the taste!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 03:19
It takes one hour and 45 minutes to hard boil the average ostrich egg. (3 pounds)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 18:53
I have always wanted to try an ostrich egg....fried. Heard lots about them, heard they taste great...have you? I know Fred Flinstone always had a huge egg for breakfast and even as a kid thought it would be ostrich.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 02:56

Hot dogs were first served in a bun at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in 1904.

Anton Feuchtwanger, a Bavarian concessionaire, used to contribute gloves to each buyer to keep their hands clean. Many customers would not return the gloves and he would often run out. Feuchtwanger asked his brother-in-law, a baker, for more gloves. However, he came up with the idea to serve rolls to fit the meat.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 04:37
Excellent!
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:34
This is cool stuff Hoser! I knew about the celary, but admit I still hate the taste of it plan.
The hotdog trivia is cool as heck and makes perfect sence if you think about it. Mother of invention saying you know?
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:37
And Rivit I had ostrich egg once in a diner in AZ. Scambled. It was very good. very rich and great flavor.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 03:34
The world record for eating baked beans is 8.4 pounds in 2 minutes, 47 seconds.
The record is held by Sonya Thomas of Alexandria, Virginia.
Sonya is 41 years old, and weighs 109 pounds.
She lives alone in Alexandria Gee....I wonder why???
You think maybe she topped it off with a nightcap of pickled eggs and beer? LOL

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 05:13
The thunderous sound of music she must have slept under that night!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 06:37
yowza!
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 08:05
YIKES!Sick
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 04:48
What do they do with the rest of the seal?
ozzy View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 17:29
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

In the state of Massachusetts, it is illegal for any mourner at a wake to eat more than three sandwiches.

Must be a Ted Law, It ruin's your buzz! ;)~
I still ain't eating snails!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 02:46
Sago beetle grubs (Papua New Guinea): Some tribespeople consider these bugs delicious. Then again, many of the same folks eat a lot of sago pulp (the inside of a palm tree). After months of eating tree innards, perhaps one would relish a roasted bug.

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 03:11
The largest living organism ever found is a honey mushroom, Armillaria ostoyae. It covers 3.4 square miles of land in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon, and it's still growing.
It spreads underground by sending out rhizomorphs (below, left) and only occasionally is visible above ground.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 07:32
that's pretty incredible. i never would have thought that a fungi would be the largest living organism, but i guess that makes sense!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
  Share Topic