Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Fun Food Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun Food Facts
    Posted: 17 February 2010 at 04:14

A well-done steak, especially if it has charred portions, contains far higher levels of carcinogens than a medium, or a rare steak.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 04:56
Hey nice idea for a recurring post! I like that factoid too.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 05:00
I'm going to try to keep it going John, something new and hopefully interesting every morning.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 02:41
A typical American will eat 28 pigs during his/her lifetime.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 04:58
That may be true, but I know I've surpassed my quota long time ago given how much I love pulled pork BBQ! I'll be working on some of those slackers' numbers next, to keep up the average! LOL
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 03:17
Persians first began using colored eggs to celebrate spring in 3,000 B.C. 13th century Macedonians were the first Christians on record to use colored eggs in Easter celebrations. Crusaders returning from the Middle East spread the custom of coloring eggs, and Europeans began to use them to celebrate Easter and other warm weather holidays.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 05:51
Excellent piece of historical information, Dave! I know my Polish mom taught me how to make colored eggs from yellow onion peel, Of course they all turned out the same color, but that was traditional. Just boil the peel in water, then add the eggs and the colorants would transfer to the shell. We also used red onion skins.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 07:15
awesome information - keep it up!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2010 at 03:38
The number of rows of corn on an ear is ALWAYS an even number
yes, I'll wait while you go look for that ear of corn Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2010 at 06:26
Now that's amazing. I don't have any corn to check, but I will! Why is that do you think?
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2010 at 08:00
I have no idea Rivet..I'm trusting the source where I got the factoid. Never checked it myself, but rest assured I will next time the corn is in.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2010 at 02:31
The English word "soup" comes from the Middle Ages word "sop," which means a slice of bread over which roast drippings were poured. The first archaeological evidence of soup being consumed dates back to 6000 B.C., with the main ingredient being Hippopotamus bones!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2010 at 05:16
Gawd this is great! I wonder what Hippo tastes like....... Great stuff, Dave keep em coming!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 03:27
It takes twelve honeybees to produce one tablespoon of honey.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 04:40
Wow that's all? I would have thought it took more than that! I guess the saying "busy little bees" is right! Great factoid Dave, thanks. By the way, is honey really "bee spit" (from it's mouth) or does it come out of a special orifice, say like the web from a spider?
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 02:56

The Fact: The FDA allows you to sell bugs and rodent hair for consumption

The FDA allows an average of 30 or more insect fragments and one or more rodent hairs per 100 grams of peanut butter. I will certainly think twice before buying my next jar!

Hmmmmmmmm...anybody that has a recipe for homemade peanut butter....now would be a good time to post it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 04:07
Yeah, but I hope the plants making it are a little more cautious!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 03:59
 Kopi Luak is the most expensive coffee in the world. At between $300 and $600 a pound, it is served in Indonesia.
I'll explain further...it is also known as "civet coffee", primarily because it is made from the poop of these cute, furry little critters. Civets eat the coffee berries and pass them through their digestive tracts. The undigested beans are dropped by the civet and collected by the locals and ground up.

Dead
Now it's impossible to be politically correct here.
You're sipping animals turds soaked in some steaming hot water people!!!!!!!
Who do you think was the first rocket scientist to say "Hey....lets try this...might taste good?"Dead 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 06:37
Oh gawd, I remember reading about this. What will people think of next? That is really out there!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 07:00
yep, i remember hearing about this one, too. crazy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic