Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Fun Food Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2010 at 02:41

A Raisin dropped into a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down from the bottom of the glass to the top, continuously.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Montana Maddness View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2010 at 15:27
This is great Dave! I had heard of the coffee, but don't care how good it is. Not gonna try it!
As for the meat. Rare tastes better than well done anyway!
Hotter the better bring on the peppers!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2010 at 16:50
That raisin story is true...it is carried up by the bubbles that attached themselves to the wrinkles, and then as the pop off or deflate at the surface, the raisin sinks back down and repeats the process. I learnt this last week while making SIMA, and was fascinated by the raisins bobbing!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 03:30
The largest carrot ever grown was 19 feet, 1.875 inches in length...old Bugs must be drooling thinking about that one!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 04:13
Jeez...what did it taste like? Any pictures? I can't imagine digging down that deep to pull it out!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 07:26
The guy actually grew it in a plastic tube....here's a link LOL

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2010 at 03:44

The world record for eating live cockroaches is held by Ken Edwards of Derbyshire, England. In 2001 he ate 36 hissing Madagascar cockroaches in one minute.

yummmmm...breakfast!Dead

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2010 at 06:31
That is so disgusting I can't even look at the link! The carrots were really cool tho! I would have to be in prison a-la Papillon to eat a roach.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2010 at 07:23
>>>36 hissing Madagascar cockroaches<<<

i hate those things....
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2010 at 03:16
Almonds are one of only two nuts mentioned in the Bible..the other is the pistachio nut.
The almond is actually not a nut at all, but is a pitted fruit, more closely related to peaches and cherries than nuts.
It takes 1,000 pounds of almonds to make 1 pint of almond oil.
California produces 80% of the world's almond supply.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2010 at 03:04
When the power goes out, the food in your refrigerator will stay cold enough to be safely eaten for 4-6 hours if you haven't opened the door.
A half-full freezer is safe for 12 hours, and a full freezer is safe for 2 days.

source: Prevention magazine
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2010 at 03:16
In Boston, Massachusetts it is illegal to eat peanuts in church.

In Lee County, Alabama it is illegal to sell peanuts after sundown on Wednesday.

In Greene, New York it is illegal (you ready for this?) to eat peanuts while walking backwards on the sidewalk, but only if there is a concert playing.

Hey....I'm not making this s&*t up folks....these are real laws. LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2010 at 04:44
Amazing. Makes you wonder what the heck happened, what kind of fight, accident, altercation came out of each event to end up being a cause to make a law for! Great fun info, Dave!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2010 at 05:50
I love em' too...I'm especially fond of the ones they pack with wasabi and soy sauce flavor.
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2010 at 09:03
Those are the bomb Hoser! Almonds are my second fav nut. Second only to cashews.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 03:06

In the state of Massachusetts, it is illegal for any mourner at a wake to eat more than three sandwiches.

It is also illegal in Massachusetts to use tomatoes while making your clam chowder.
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 08:02
WackoThats wierd. Although white chowder is by far my fav. I do like Manhatten (red) style also.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 08:45
Originally posted by Montana Maddness Montana Maddness wrote:

WackoThats wierd. Although white chowder is by far my fav. I do like Manhatten (red) style also.

Very much agreed with MM on the chowder! I guess some mourners were just showing up for the sammies, huh? LOL
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 02:32

In the United States, a pound of potato chips costs 200 times more than a pound of potatoes.

Time to get out the deep fryer???
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 04:52
Boy you have got that one right! I was taking a good look at chips and snack prices the other day and it was unbelievable!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
  Share Topic