Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Fun Food Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 01:43

Lachanophobia is the fear of vegetables, Mageirocophobia is the fear of cooking.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 03:20
Well those are to things I'll never fear! LOL
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2010 at 01:55

Here's one for Montana Madness and all the rest of you chili heads out there.

The Bhut Jolokia is officially the hottest thing growing on this planet.

ScienceDaily (Oct. 28, 2007) — Researchers at New Mexico State University recently discovered the world's hottest chile pepper. Bhut Jolokia, a variety of chile pepper originating in Assam, India, has earned Guiness World Records' recognition as the world's hottest chile pepper by blasting past the previous champion Red Savina.

In replicated tests of Scoville heat units (SHUs), Bhut Jolokia reached one million SHUs, almost double the SHUs of Red Savina, which measured a mere 577,000.

Dr. Paul Bosland, Director of the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University's Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences collected seeds of Bhut Jolokia while visiting India in 2001.

Bosland grew Bhut Jolokia plants under insect-proof cages for three years to produce enough seed to complete the required field tests.

"The name Bhut Jolokia translates as 'ghost chile,'" Bosland said, "I think it's because the chile is so hot, you give up the ghost when you eat it!"

Bosland added that the intense heat concentration of Bhut Jolokia could have significant impact on the food industry as an economical seasoning in packaged foods.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2010 at 03:44
Hey thanks for posting this. By the way, I've got a shaker jar of DAVE's DRAGON DUST which contains Bhut Jolokia and that stuff is delicious! Yes it is hot, real hot, but it's cut down with other tasty spices. I also have a small packet of Bhut Jolokia seeds I bought from them that I'm going to try to grow this year. I hear they are temperamental plants difficult to grow, but what the heck. http://www.dragonsdust.com/

Montana Maddness View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2010 at 08:30
Have used Red Savina a lot in my Sauce. Thier hot as hell. Have heard of Ghost Chillies, but never laid eyes on them. Let alone try them. Probley good thing. I'm a dumb ass when it comes to chillies! I just love them and will try anything onceEmbarrassed

When we lived in El Salvador. My father would always tell people things (like peppers) aren't hot. They are just spicey. Our house keeper brought him a little purple chilli one day. About 1/2 -3/4 inch long, and slender. He bit into that thing and it blistered his tonue and lips almost imedatley. Only time I ever saw day bothered by the(chemical) heat of any food. Don't know what it was or waht it's called. Never seen anoughter one like it, but would aviod it if I do.
Enjoy
Hotter the better bring on the peppers!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 02:46
OK Folks....it's gadget time again. I was feeling kind of guilty for giving you such a tough one the first time....so this one is much easier. I'm sure most of you will recognise this tool and it's use.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 04:01
No guesses? It's a butter curler folks...to make those fancy little butter things you see floating in a bowl of icewater at a banquet.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 07:53
another great one, dave! i didn't have a clue this time, so i waited patiently for the answer today ~

keep 'em coming!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 09:15
Oops, missed that post, sorry! I would have thought something to cut rolled out dough with.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 02:46
In Australia or New Zealand people will gag if you start talking about a "peanut butter and jelly" sandwich.
Americans talk fondly of peanut butter and jelly, preferably Welches Grape Jelly, sandwiches--"jelly" in New Zealand and Australia means "Jell-O" and they call "jelly" jam--there's no distinction between jam with seeds and the strained, set variety--it's all jam to them. They eat "jam" doughnuts instead of jelly doughnuts. So whatever you do, never order anything with jelly in the southern hemisphere, unless you want Jell-O.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 04:49
Very interesting, never knew that. Of course, Jell-O is always good except when made into that horrible salad with marshmallows, diced apples and grapes and stuff.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 02:26

No More Fruit Flies!

Published March 1, 2009. From Cook's Illustrated.

Many fruits, such as tomatoes and bananas, are best stored at room temperature. During the warmer months, however, fruit flies find ripening produce irresistible. Entice the pests with this trick. Place ¼ cup of orange juice in a small drinking glass and then top it with a funnel. Placed next to a fruit bowl, the juice lures the tiny flies into the funnel, where they are unable to escape. See Illustrated Technique Below

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 03:26
Very cool.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 02:18

Fried chicken is the most popular meal ordered in sit-down restaurants in the US. The next in popularity are: roast beef, spaghetti, turkey, baked ham, and fried shrimp.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 02:58
Wow, that's interesting. I would have though hamburgers, what with the number of mickey-dee's and the rest all over the country. Spaghetti is funny to me...I don't think I have ever ordered spaghetti at a restaurant in my life.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 01:12
Well, it's almost that time of the year for one of my favorites...strawberry rhubarb pie. Thought it might be appropriate to post a little primer on rhubarb.

RHUBARB

Fresh rhubarb should be stored at 35 degrees F. with good ventilation. It will keep for several weeks, but flavor deteriorates quickly.

SELECTION
Hothouse, or strawberry, rhubarb appears in markets as early as January and continues to be stocked through April. Field-grown, or cherry, rhubarb begins to arrive in markets in March and can continue to arrive through the summer (depending on the area where it is grown). Spring stalks are the juiciest and most-tender.

Fresh stalks are flat, not curled or limp. When stalks that have been pulled-not cut-from the field are available; choose them. Pulled stalks dry out less rapidly. Size is no indicator of tenderness. Deep red stalks are sweeter and richer.

STORAGE
Wrap rhubarb in plastic wrap and store it in the coldest part of the refrigerator for up to one week. Cooked and raw rhubarb both freeze well.

PREPARATION
Cut off and discard and leaves (see warning). Rinse and trim from base and tip. You may peel or cut with the skin intact. Remember to cook only in non-aluminum pots only due to the acidic nature of rhubarb.

VARIETIES -
RED STALK TYPES:
• Crimson (may also be called Crimson Cherry, Crimson Red, or Crimson Wine). It produces brightly colored red stalks with the unique characteristic of being red throughout under normal temperature and moisture conditions of the Pacific Northwest.
• Other vigorous red varieties are Valentine and Cherry Red (Cherry, Early Cherry), producing long, thick, deep-red stalks.

SPECKLED TYPES (PINK):
• Victoria produces large stalks of excellent quality, long, round with smooth ribs. It develops pink speckling on a light green stalk with the pink color being more intense at the bottom of the stalk, fading to a solid green near the top. Victoria is commonly used for forcing.
• Strawberry is very similar to Victoria, and may be the same variety.
• MacDonald is another "pink" type that produces well.
• German Wine is similar to Victoria but slightly more vigorous and more intense in color, typically with a darker pink speckling on a green stem.

GREEN VARIETIES:
Riverside Giant, a cold-hardy, vigorous producer with large diameter, long, green stalks.
CDC.gov - 5 a Day

• Top frozen yogurt with berries and rhubarb-adds a twist!
  • Add cooked rhubarb into a fruit topping for poultry.
  • Add rhubarb to your favorite pie or fruit bread.

WARNING: Never eat rhubarb leaves, cooked or raw. Eating the leaves can be poisonous because they contain oxalate. This toxin, plus another unknown toxin also found in the leaves, has been reported to cause poisoning when large quantities of raw or cooked leaves are ingested.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 03:21
That's good stuff. I like it in jam and jelly. Hey Ron- did you like that Rhubarb Jam I sent you last summer?
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 05:54
perfect time of year to be hinking about strawnerries and rhubarb!

yep, john, it was excellent! the whole family loved it!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 02:13

DeadCasu MarzuDead

casu.pngCasu Marzu, an illegal Sardinian delicacy, is perhaps the most outrageously foul dairy product in our galaxy. While it’s one thing to eat a cheese that smells like gym socks soaked in milk and left crumpled behind the toilet for weeks; you’ve entered a whole new class of repulsiveness when you bite into Casu Marzu — a putrefied cheese infested with live, wriggling maggots.
To craft this noxious specialty Sardinian cheesemakers encourage the cheese fly, Piophilia casei, a.k.a. the “cheese skipper,” to lay eggs in their pecorino cheeses. (“Pecorino” is a general Italian term for sheep milk’s cheese.) One traditional method is to drill a hole in the block of cheese and slip in a drop of oil to attract the vermin. But the effort isn’t always needed. While cheese skippers originally evolved to scavenge decomposed corpses, they’ve taken enthusiastically to the cured and fermented foods of Homo sapiens. Having discovered a suitable food supply, a mother will lay hundreds of eggs, which then hatch into a vile horde of hungry maggots, eager to devour their host environment.

In the case of Casu Marzu, these maggots — legless and clawless, dragging themselves through by hooked teeth– will release an enzyme during their digestion that causes the pecorino’s fat to putrefy. This unique fermentation process yields a sticky, gluey, gummy mass, still teeming with the worms — and ready to be eaten.

So, Just How Tasty Is It?

Once in your mouth, Casu Marzu is reported to cause more of a sensation than a “taste”: a kind of oral-digestive riot, starting with a strong burn in the mouth. They say it’s good with a full-bodied red, and doubles as an aphrodisiac. But what do “they” know, who eat larvae? As with most things, it’s unclear who to trust. It is advisable when taking a bite of Casu Marzu to cover your eyes. This is not to protect your mind from the nauseating sight; but to protect the eyes themselves from the maggots, who can and do leap up to six inches off the cheese, with malevolent precision. (If you’re too squeamish for such a confrontation, try sealing the cheese in a paper bag. The maggots, deprived of oxygen, will leap off the cheese in an attempt to escape; and when the pitter patter of their dying flops subsides, you can safely eat.)

Some people consider cheese skipper larvae a health risk, and Casu Marzu is actually illegal in Sardinia — but this is not to say it can’t be had. As a black market delicacy it is exchanged amongst family and friends, a favorite for weddings and birthday parties, and sold just under the radar at markets. Often, Sardinian heath officials are themselves fans of the cheese, appreciating its cultural significance, or its taste, or both.
Some Sardinian farmers still believe the medieval idea that maggots spontaneously generate in decaying cheese. This old theory created strong symbolic associations between cheese and death, but also decay and new life. It’s even inspired weird cosmologies (Carlo Ginzburg writes about this in The Cheese and the Worms: The Cosmos of a Sixteenth-Century Miller). If you ever have the chance to try Casu Marzu, consider what it means to put the whole Circle of Life in your mouth at once. Then cover your eyes.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 03:08
oh lord, I've heardof this stuff and actually saw a picture of it once, all maggoty and everything. Definitely an acquired taste...if you are a zombie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
  Share Topic