Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Oceania and the Pacific Islands > The Islands of Oceania and the South Pacific
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Sweet and sour chicken

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sweet and sour chicken
    Posted: 09 April 2012 at 14:05
This recipe could go either here or in the Chinese section, as it's kind of a toss up between the two. I tend to think of it more being Polynesian than Chinese, so I'm going to put it here. It's definitely not the standard red sweet and sour you get in most American restaurants though, as the pineapple flavor is more pronounced.

• 2 whole chickens, cut into pieces.
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil

Mix flour, salt and pepper in shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, shake off excess (you just want a very light coat) and brown in frying pan with oil. Spoon chicken into baking dish (9x13 pyrex is what I use).  I tend to use 3 or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of whole chickens and just cut them up in to bite size cubes. My grandma however always made it with the full chicken pieces. there's no arguing that the whole chicken pieces had a lot more flavor, though they were more work. My favorite was always the drumsticks, I'd try to steal them all before my brother had a chance to take them! Wink

Sauce:
  • 1 can pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • 1 green pepper (cubed)
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion

Add water to pineapple juice to make 2 cups. Combine sugar, cornstarch, pineapple syrup, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and bouillon cube. Boil, stirring, 2 minutes. Pour over meat. Add onion and green pepper. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Add pineapple and bake another 30 minutes.

If I'm doing the cut-up chicken breasts then I find an hour is too much and the chicken comes out really dry. So if I'm doing it that way, then I usually just add the pineapple at the beginning and cook it for about half an hour, until the chicken is about 170 degrees internally.

Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 11:37
Pitrow,

Nice simple recipe yet has alot of flair.

Thanks for your contribution.

I believe this would be a lovely appetiser done with Shrimp sweet & sour following your recipe; and pork as well. Can even be served on long tooth picks or small skewers for the plating !

Kind regards.
Marge.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 19:28
I finally remembered to get a picture of this. Fresh out of the oven

Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 10:40
Nice! I like the pineapple and ginger aspect to this; most that I've seen seem to be based on something entirely different - maybe orange?

Beautiful job - that photo is a work of art!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic