Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > The Middle East
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Babaganuj: Classic Eggplant Purèe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Babaganuj: Classic Eggplant Purèe
    Posted: 13 April 2012 at 05:31
Photo Courtesy: Public Domain Photo Search.

Written by: Margaux Cintrano.

BABAGANUJ is a popular Meze ( Appetiser or Tapa or Mezedes )  in numerous countries along the Mediterranean Sea ... It´s main ingredients are purèed eggplant ( aubergine ) and sesame seed tahine paste. Here is our family recipe.

Please note: there are numerous textures this dish can take; we like our´s thick with a well dent in centre, filled with a tablespoon or two of Evoo and sprinkled with fresh cilantro or parsley and dusted with Paprika, from Spain called La Vera Pimentón and a drizzle of fresh lemon.

It can also be used as a dressing on fish, as one can see  in Photo Number 6 .

In Greece, it is prepared as a caviar and re-stuffed into the sliced pulp removed eggplant shell holder.  

BABAGANUJ ... ( pronounced: BA BA GA NÚG )  

2 eggplants sliced in half vertically
salt to taste
2 cloves garlic smashed in Mortar with pestle
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup tahine sesame seed paste 
1 pinch of smoked paprika piquant or sweet or blend  ( I use La Vera brand of La Vera, Spain )
Evoo
1 tblsp chopped finely fresh parsley and / or fresh mint herb

1. preheat oven to 190 centigrade degrees
2. scoop out the pulp of eggplants and let sit in salted water 15 mins.
3.  pat the eggplant slices dry paper towel
4. bake the eggplant halves with eggplant scooped out put back in, for 20 mins. until the vegetables are tender
5. peel off the violet aubergine colored skin
6. in Food Processor or blender; place the entire interior pulp of the eggplants
7. put garlic in a mortar and smash and mix with lemon, EVOO and sesame tahine paste
8. then put all in FOOD PROCESSOR OR BLENDER for 30 seconds
9. sprinkle with salt to taste ... mix for a couple of seconds again
10: TO PLATE THE DIP:  place on plate and make a well ( dent ) in centre, and drizzle the Evoo and sprinkle smoked paprika and the fresh parsely herb or mint or combine the two herbs
11. HEAT PITA BREAD
12. ENJOY

Have a wonderful wkend.
M.C.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 06:11
Interesting variation, Margi. I've never seen a recipe before with the added step of soaking the flesh before roasting.

A Lebanese friend had once suggested that cooking the eggplants over charcoal was not only more authentic but made a better tasting dip. I can't speat for the authenticity, but he was right about the grilling part. It lends a subtle, smoky flavor to the finished dish.

(We need to get you out of that apartment and someplace where you can use a grill!)

preheat oven to 190 centigrade degrees

For those of us who only speak English, that would be 375F. Approve
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 06:27
Good Afternoon Brook,

As you know, I live in the heart of Urban Madrid Capital and have no access to charcoal burning stoves, ovens or bbq.  

Thus, the idea of the soaking is to tenderize the aubergine / eggplant. This recipe was given to me by a couple in Egypt while we had visited the Pyramids years ago.

I make it all the time, and it is wonderful.
I prefer babaganuj to hummus, though I enjoy both ...

Have nice wkend.
Margi.

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 06:32
Brook,

Apologies on missing your point on a Move of Apartment ...

Firstly, we own a Condo in Puglia, Italia ... We are both living in the centre of Madrid for professional commitments ... Though we have enjoyed the cultural aspect, the vanguard cuisines, the Tapas and their colorful culture and historical data --- we love Puglia much more ...

We cannot have a grill or BBQ, because we are Urban ... we do not wish to settle in an isolated rural village without Metropolitan and Cosmopolitan amenities ... We love the cinema, restaurants, museums, theatre and strolling the city ...

So, each to his own ... For us, a bbq is wonderful, however, not at the price of moving from the city centre and the ease of public transport and all facilities for courses, shops and ease of life.

Thanks for post.
Margi.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic