Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Scandinavia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

My Family's Swedish Meatballs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Family's Swedish Meatballs
    Posted: 06 February 2010 at 07:12
Well folks, since I am of Swedish heritage, I guess it's going to be up to me to get a "true" swedish meatball recipe up here. Here is a family favorite.

Swedish Meatballs

1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 cup minced onions
2 Tbsp & 1 tsp butter
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
salt pepper
1/8 tsp allspice
1 cup chicken broth (or beef)
1 cup heavy cream
1-1/2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp Aquavit *

1. Mix ground meats together and set aside.

2. Heat 1 tsp butter in saute' pan, and cook onion until tender.

3. Combine bread crumbs and milk and set aside.

4. Add onions, bread crumbs, egg, salt , pepper and allspice to meat mixture. Mix until well-blended. Shape into small (1-1-1/2 inch) balls ...should make about 26-28 meatballs.

5. Heat remaining butter in pan and add meatballs...cook over gentle heat , turning carefully to brown on all sides, about ten minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.

6. Add flour to pan with drippings and make a roux. Add broth, bring to a boil and add cream. Return meatballs to pan, return to boil and simmer until heated through.

7. Stir in Aquavit, cook 2 more minutes and serve over buttered noodles.

* Aquavit is a scandinavian liquor..if you can't find it, spiced vodka will do in a pinch.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2010 at 10:18
that one's looking really good, hoser! i am really impressed with the picture there - it looks delicious!

one of my great grandmothers emigrated here to the US (north dakota) from sweden, but unfortunately i have no family recipes at all. they left this earth when she did. would like to get in touch with this unique part of my ancestry, as most of the rest is german with some english.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 05:00
You know I've been craving these things since I posted the recipe the other day....HAD to make them last night LOL :

Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 19:03
I made Dave's version of this last night for dinner.  We made a double batch. Clap

Damn!!!  Is this ever good.  This was a BIG hit with everyone and will be put into regular rotation here in our home.  My kids absolutely went wild for this and Mrs. Boiler and I thought it was wonderful as well.  Can't wait to have this again.

Here's my plate...

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 03:40
Good job Andy! I'll bet that plate didn't stay full for very long.
I sure am glad you enjoyed the recipe...that's pure comfort food for this old boy.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 01:12

Dear Hoser and Tas,  

I have not encountered a Swedish Meatball classic recipe ...

However, many thanks to Hoser, at 9am Madrid time; I received the Link for his Swedish Meatballs, which we are big fans of ... MANY THANKS HOSER ...

Oh these are stunning ... Very elegant dish ... I am going to write down the ingredients and prepare these next weekend ... They are lovely ...

We used to drive over to IKEA for their´s as they were so delicious ... However, now IKEA on the Iberian Peninsula had to close their Supermarkets; only leaving us with their bed, bath and kitchen department store.

Thanks so much; they are on the menu for next week ... Saturday ...

Just need to pick up a couple of available ingredients ... the Aquavit from the Liquor / Wine Shop and of course the ground beef and ground pork ... and some noodles --- and  fresh green beans ...

Thanks so much,
Margi.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 03:12
Hoser,

Got a bottle of Aquavit, fresh cream & Swedish black bread & Wasa Crackers; one of my fave pickies during week -- they have no fat or calories ... for our Swedish Aperitif Saturday ...

Shall give ur lovely meatballs a try on Saturday am ... Shall post a couple of photos ...

Kind regards.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 07:51
You're going to love these meatballs, Margi - a true taste of Scandinavian tradition! Star
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 09:18
Tas,

These Swedish Meatballs look divine ... Unfortunately, IKEA closed its Iberian Supermarkets; as we always used to drive over to Alcobendas ( 40 minute drive north ) to get some Swedish Meatballs, smoked salmon, my black bread and Wasa brand Cracker breads !

I have the Aquavit ... the fresh Galician Cream ... There is only 1 Swedish Restaurant in Madrid, close to the Palace Hotel downtown; and I know the owners well --- we ( both Fil and I; and the Magazine Colleagues ); OLSEN´s ... and thus, they would not charge me for the fresh cream ...

They also gave me some fresh dill too ... Very nice people and the restaurant is decorated like a typical snowy evening in northern Sweden --- all varying shades and tones of white and blonde wooden flooring ... Lovely ...

I shall take some photos next time we have lunch or dinner there --- and post them ...

RESTAURANT OLSEN
CALLE DEL PRADO ( odd number side of street )
LAS HUERTAS NEIGHBORHOOD - 300 metres from the PALACE HOTEL WESTIN ...

Shall photograph Our Swedish Meatballs for the thread ...

Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 09:40
Margi, Dave's recipe will steer you in the right direction for some of the ebst meatballs you've ever had ~ I like mine with mashed potatoes, but noodes are great, too ~

If you're able to get fresh dill and salmon, you should try some gravlax, too! A wonderful salmon charcuterie....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 10:03
Tas,

I was just thinking about the side ... And I have to ask Fil, what he might prefer; the noodles, mashed potatoes or baked potato perhaps ?

It is up to Fil ... I shall have a salad ... as always ... It is green season here; and so, I have such a gorgeous selection of endive, escarola, red oak leaf lettuce, romaine etcetra ... and just some Evoo and Balsamic ...

Thanks for the suggestion ... Fil loves mashed potatoes ...

Norwegian fresh Salmon is easily obtainable at all Fish Markets in Capital ...

Another project ... We shall discuss the simplified version for a pictorial ... I have never done such a project ... Perhaps in April ...

Margi.

Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 15:06
these are on deck. i got all the parts.
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 02:14
Hoser, Rod, and Tas, 

Swedish Meatballs are on for Saturday lunch here too ...

Are you serving with egg noodles or mash potatoes -- or another side dish ?

I always have a salad, and do not normally combine starch with protein;  however, my better half, wants to have noodles -- The Italian Vet loves Pasta --- in all its forms ... and thus, noodles ...

However, I believe a salad is very refreshing considering we are receiving some lovely Spring sunny sunny weather finally --- and I eat 5 times a day, very tiny portions ... I have delicate stomach ---

HERE IS THE SWEDISH SALAD I SHALL BE SERVING WITH HOSER´s SWEDISH MEATBALLS  ...

( Have you ever prepared PRESSGURKA ? ) ... OLSEN RESTAURANT CHEF gave me this recipe ...  

PRESSGURKA SWEDISH SALAD

1 or 2 cucumbers  sliced  ( peeled and sliced finely ) and brought to room temperature
onion, shallot, green scallion or spring onion sliced finely
beetroot sliced in strips ( cooked to just tender and served room temperature )
orange slices or ruby red grapefruit slices
almonds without shells
fresh or dry dill sprinkled
vinegar drizzle or splash
drizzle of lemon juice fresh
1 dry red chili pepper or red pepper flakes
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Toss gently ... serve at room temperature ...

Kind regards.
Margi.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 05:39
Noodles here, with a salad of sorts made of three kinds of pickled cucumbers on the side and then blueberries with a little cream, sugar and cinnamon after. Maybe an ice-cold shot of that Akvavit.

Your salad gives me the idea to add a little bit of pickled beet for contrasting color and maybe some nuts for a little texture change-up to my salad.
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 05:52
Rod. Thank you for your feedback .. Just bought creme fraiche & fresh blacberries and rasberries ! I am a big fan of beetroot & cucumber ... very refreshing ...
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 03:37
Hoser and Tas,

Firstly, Dave, your recipe for Swedish Meatballs, turned out marvelously ... Simple, and absolutely delicious. 

Shall have to upload a couple of photos taken with my Cell Phone Camera ...

Thank you again, and it is on our permanent list of recipes for Swedish Meatballs. I was able to purchase Egg Noodles from Barilla which worked well as a side ... The Vet was very pleased and truly enjoyed the variation for a change ...

The Swedish style salad, was a very refreshing starter; though, we usually eat our salads after the main course, as most Italians do.  

Have lovely Sunday. I am off tomorrow, so I shall upload the photos to Photobucket ...

Margi.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2013 at 05:35
I made these and they are great! Great recipe! This one is a keeper for me. Like so many other things, the flavor improved with a day in the refrigerator, so if I were to be making these for some get together, they would definitely be made a day or two ahead of time. A winner!

Hungry
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2013 at 06:12
   Hoser, this is a great looking recipe...thanks for sharing! 

This really looks like a good treat for the family...thanks!
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2013 at 13:06
MARGAUX´s FIRST SWEDISH MEATBALLS ... ( THEY WERE TRULY DELICIOUS ... ) ... MANY THANKS ...

HERE ARE THE MEATBALLS PRIOR TO SAUCE-ING OR PLATING WITH THE EGG NOODLES ...  

SWEDISH MEATBALLS ON LEFT SIDE OF PLATE AND THE EGG NOODLES ...

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2013 at 01:33

Hoser and Tas,

Filippo had brought home some fresh cream and some fresh cow milk in glass bottles ...  from a dairy farmer client, so I believe this is why, my cream sauce is much whiter and Hoser´s lovely photographs ...

WAS VERY DELICIOUS and thanks for recipe ... We shall be preparing again on the monthly rotation for April.

Margi.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic