Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Southeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Reuben, Reuben, I’ve Been Thinking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reuben, Reuben, I’ve Been Thinking
    Posted: 10 May 2015 at 20:02
  Thanks for the info drinks...great to hear your experience with it!
Enjoy The Food!
Sponsored Links

drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 13:13
A quick addition about sourdough bread.
I tried keeping a starter going , got to taking too much time,truth, I forgot about it,
Now, I have a mess of soured flour in a glass container, just sits on the back of the table, next to the bread machine.
When I make bread, I scoop 2 tbsp of the contents out, mix it with the required water, total contents equal to water required for mix, add 2 tbsp of flour plus a tbsp of warm water back in the glass jar and back to the back of the table.
So far, I get the sharp flavor, dependable rise from the recipe dried yeast and am doing well.
The little envelope of San Francisco sourdough starter has continued for over 3 years now using this method.
I am just lazy!!!!!!!!!
I have made white sandwich, all whole wheat, whole wheat/rye and whole wheat with added corn meal,25%, actually, my favorite.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 09:26
I know what you mean, Dan. When I'm planning any of the Reuben variations I buy corned beef at the deli.

Those fritters do sound interesting (thanks again, Dave). Similar to the filling I use in the Reuben Party Puffs. Mine gets spread inside rye gougeres instead of being dusted and fried. So there's just enough difference between them.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 07:44
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

OK, I finally got around to trying this as individual pies. It worked. But it's a real pita to do.

Tastewise they were fine. But far too much trouble for the results.

It's too bad they were too much trouble...but I can see how it would be too much work.  Those reuben fritters look like a really good, simple idea...I'll have to try that in the future.  But, I kid you not...we don't have left over corned beef in our house...it just doesn't happen!

Thanks for the update Brook!
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 06:33
Thanks for the heads up, Dave.

Actually, I hadn't been there since the fall, when I decided that, due to certain cliquishness, it wasn't the place for me.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 02:48
I don't know if you've been over to the smoking forum recently or not Brook....but I thought you'd enjoy this.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 19:12
OK, I finally got around to trying this as individual pies. It worked. But it's a real pita to do.

I made the bottom cups by molding the crescent dough to the outside of muffin tins. Baked them, filled them, and topped with additional rounds of dough, then rebaked.

Tastewise they were fine. But far too much trouble for the results.

I then tried making them in the form of empanadas. Those worked perfectly. I rolled the dough to seal all the cut lines, then used a large cookie cutter to cut rounds of dough. Placed the filling on half the round, folded it over, sealed the edges, and baked.

So that's another possibility for my Reuben exploration.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2015 at 22:02
That simply looks beautiful, gMan ~ I could really, really go for a plate of that right now.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2015 at 07:15
I sous vide a couple corned beef kits that are available in most grocery stores.  You know, the ones that come with the little spice packets and are about 1/2 price for St Paddy's day.

They were placed in a 160°F bath for 36hrs.  When removed, I immediately dumped the salty liquid from the vac bags, re vacuum packed, and chilled with ice before putting in the fridge.  The beauty of this is I did not have to soak the salt out of these pre brined briskets.  Most of the salt comes out on its own with this method.

When sandwich time rolls around these slice easily.  Place the slices in foil, sprinkle with water to get a bit of steam, and warm in a 350° oven.

Zingerman's Russian Dressing:
-3/4 cups mayonnaise
-1/4 cup plus 2 to 3 tablespoons chili sauce
-2 tablespoons sour cream
-2 teaspoons chopped curly parsley leaves
-1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced Spanish onion
-1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced dill pickle
-1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
-1/2 teaspoon grated horseradish
-1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce, sour cream, parsley, onion, pickle, lemon juice, horseradish and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl and mix well.

Best made the day before using to let the flavors marry.

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2015 at 01:58
Oh, Lordy! It just don't get any better than that . Thumbs Up
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2015 at 22:12
Where it all began.

Tonight I made classic Reuben sandwiches with Sous Vide corned beef, seeded Jewish Rye, homemade Russian dressing, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut. 
The bread was buttered and the sandwiches were weighted and griddled in a frypan.
Here is one on a cutting board awaiting plating with fries and a good pickle.  Life is good!

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2015 at 03:43
I have used it that way with tortillas to make mini dip bowls Brook, and it worked out just fine.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2015 at 03:14
Finally started experimenting with the idea of turning these into akppetizer-sized bites.

First attempt was a failure. My plan was to use mini-cupcake sized molds. Using a cookie cutter, I cut the rolled crescent dough into rounds, and fitted them into the cavities.

Unfortunately, when prebaking the bottom crust, they expanded so much as to leave no space for filling.

I still think that's a good size, though. So, next shot, I'll reverse the molds. That is, I'll drape the dough over the outside of the cupcake cavity. If it works, that should give me the size I need.

Has anyone tried using the outside like that?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2015 at 19:01
Glad you liked it, Brook! The first time we made it, we were "forced" to use some ridiculous "turkey pastrami" and a brand of sauerkraut that I did not like at all. Luckily, we gave it another shot, with the right stuff, and it was much, much better!

I think the ramekins are a great idea - looking forward to hearing about it!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 20:32
I'm definitely interested!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 11:28
   a reuben casserole is a great idea!  It makes it quick and easy...all in one reuben that serves all.

love it!

Thanks for sharing
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 06:41
I didn’t think I could take this much further. Until recently, when the Beautiful Mrs Tas sent me that recipe (this was before Ron has posted it). We had it for dinner, last night, and it’s a real winner.

Thanks, Melissa.

While this is a great dinner casserole, I want to do some experimenting to see if I can adapt it to tiny ramekins, and make it part of my exploration.      
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2015 at 19:38
Sounds really good, Ron. Be sure and thank the Beautiful Mrs Tas for providing it.

As another possible alternative, I can see making this recipe in tiny ramekins. That would make it a better fit as a tasting size, as part of my Reuben Exploration small plate offering.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2015 at 17:34
Here's an easy, weeknight contribution from The Beautiful Mrs. Tas:

Quote Reuben Bake

A Delicious Sandwich in a casserole dish! Easy and cheesy!!

2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 pound sliced Swiss cheese
1-1/4 pounds sliced deli corned beef
1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
2/3 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
1 egg white, lightly beaten
3 teaspoons caraway seeds

Unroll one tube of crescent dough into one long rectangle; seal seams and perforations. Press onto the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Layer with half of the cheese and all of the corned beef. Combine sauerkraut and salad dressing; spread  over beef. Top with remaining cheese. On a lightly floured surface, press or roll second tube of crescent dough into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle, sealing seams and perforations. Place over cheese. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with caraway seeds. Bake for 12-16 minutes or until heated through and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

Mrs. Tas really likes it; I think it's pretty good. You definitely want to drain and possibly even wring out the kraut as Brook describes in a pot above, but other than that, it's easy as can be.

One possible variation: I haven't tried it, but the exact same recipe prepared with flaky biscuits might work well (rather than crescent rolls) for individual servings. 

Another possibility: separate the crescent rolls as if you were going to make them conventionally, and roll them up with the filling inside them.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 02:24
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

If you're up to making your own, Dave, I can provide several approaches.

F'rinstance, if you use Margi's Pain de Campagne recipe, you can shape the dough into small hogie buns. Peter Reinhart's transitional rye would work too.

For this specific usage, however, I think I'd go with the Ukrainian sour rye bread recipe I presented for that themed dinner, http://www.foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/ukrainian-sour-rye-bread_topic4150.html.

On the other hand, if you want New England style buns, use a loaf pan and only fill it about a third. When you bake it you'll have a loaf only about half as thick as usual. Cut that in thick planks, score them down the center, and you'd be good to go.

Finally, although it will be a different texture, you can pipe a rye gougere dough into logs, bake 'em, and split them to hold the sausages.

Thanks Brook, and since I have Reinhart's book, I'll probably go with that recipe and just form them into mini baguettes and see how that works out. This is going to be a fun project when I finally get down to trying it.

And thank you Murray, for the insight on the cheese....I'm already tossing recipes around in my head.
This is going to be soo much fun...really looking forward to it.Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic