Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Balkans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Kotlovina

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kotlovina
    Posted: 03 May 2012 at 23:03
A traditional Croatian dish, commonly made in the area around Zagreb.

Kotlovina

6-8 servings
  • 10 (1/2-inch) boneless pork loin chops or 10 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
  • 1 medium finely chopped onion
  • 2 peeled and grated carrots
  • 1 celery rib cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 3-4 cloves finely chopped garlic
  • 2 red and 2 green thinly sliced peppers
  • 4 parboiled potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 can undrained diced tomatoes
  • 3 cups dry white wine
  • Salt and pepper
  • Oil for cooking

Preparation

In a kotlovina dish add oil and allow to get hot. Brown meat, turning once. Push meat to edges of pan where it is cooler. 

While meat continues to cook on the edge, add onions, carrots, celery and garlic to center of the pan where it is hottest. When the onions are translucent, but not fully cooked, place the meat on the vegetables, add 1 cup wine and cook for about 15 minutes, adding a little water as necessary. 

While that is cooking, put the red and green peppers on the rim or around the edge of the pan and allow to soften slightly. Then, push the meat mixture to the rim or edges of the pan and move the peppers to the center with the rest of the vegetables. 

Now add the parboiled potatoes to the center of pan along with the peppers. Add another cup of wine and about 1 cup water to the center. Stir carefully and let cook for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes are softened. Add diced tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste. and bring the meat back down into the center of the pan. Allow to cook together for another 10 minutes. 

Just before taking meat out of pan, add last cup of wine and allow to heat for about 3 minutes. To serve, place all cooked vegetables from the pan on a large serving dish and place the meat on top.

Sponsored Links

AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 23:06
This dish is cooked in a unique utensil called a "Kotal"

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:28
very nice, darko ~ i could easily fall in love with a dish like this!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 20:50
I'm going to make a kotlovina tomorrow.  It's been a while, and I have my late father in law's kotal.  His isn't as nice as the all stainless unit in the earlier link. But it works great.  Pictures shall be forthcoming.
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 03:17
Yummy  .
Ahron
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 22:02
Here we go; This is the initial water & butter boiling.

AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 22:04
Pork & sausage cooking away;
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 22:07
Pork and sausage doing their thing while the sliced potatoes are cooking,
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 22:12
All done;
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 22:52
now that's something i've never seen before - very cool, and i can only imagine how good that must have been. it's got all the right ingredients, and being cooked outdoors always adds something special!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 21:25
It is very tasty. This time I wanted to make it like my father in law used to.  Basically pork chops & potatoes. Not my favourite, but the dear wife wanted it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic