Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Gathering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Morels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Morels
    Posted: 05 May 2012 at 15:59
I just figured I would post a few pictures. I joined a mushroom hunting club and I hope to learn at least a few more local varieties of mushrooms. I've been finding these on my own. Lots of miles in the bush, lots of miles on the car. Plenty of gas and time burned.

But it's all worth it!

I found these on Monday

I found these on Thursday

And here's a few extra pictures from the last batch showing how much 18 morels weighed (in grams) and what they looked like where I found them and such:

The first batch got fried. Egg wash followed by Saltine cracker crumbs and fried in butter. This is how the first ones always get cooked. All I can say is where did that stick of butter go! They were good.

The next batch has been in an omelet and in a cream sauce with chicken over toast. That leaves me with over a pound left. I'll think of something...

I still have 13 tomatoes. I still want to do a stuffed tomato thing. I'm thinking of filling them with a rice pilaf that would really feature these morels. Just rice, some onion, butter, S&P, lots of morels and maybe a little cream at the end. I'll have to figure out something to do with the scooped out innards of the tomatoes. Soup maybe. Whadya think?
Hungry
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 16:23
the mushrooms look great - and that idea with the tomatoes sounds REALLY good!
as for the internals of the tomatoes - save them to work into a sauce in your next italian meal, or put them on a pizza crust with some cheese, perhaps?

looking forward to seeing it!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 21:48
I officially hate youWink

Those morels look wonderful
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 04:19
i don't know mushrooms i love to eat them but i don't know to identify the poisonous ones so i have to buy at the shopCry
Ahron
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 06:06
We grew up hunting these in Indiana, it is a spring tradition.  Your preparation is spot on, they are wonderful dusted with flour or breaded with cracker crumbs then fried in butter.
ChrisFlanders View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 06:09
These delicious things are very expensive in my country. So, I buy them dried, which means I'm officially very envious of your loot right now. Morilles go so well with poultry dishes served in a creamy sauce!
Maybe you already know this, but raw morilles are somewhat poisonous, they always need to be cooked first so they lose their poison. Many times it's so difficult to get rid of the sand they contain, even the dried ones, even after being soaked. But such a delicatesse!
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 19:35
Nice morels, Rod!  Thanks for sharing! 

...and you know...spring will be here before you know it! Smile
Enjoy The Food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 05:47
Rod,

Your wild morels are lovely. We love Boletus Eduli or Ceps ... In Spain, the most common way to serve is:

Evoo - 2 or 3 tblsps.
2 or 3 cloves of minced garlic
minced fresh parsley sprinkle
The Mushrooms of choice
A sprinkle of sea salt fine grain to taste

SAUTÉ the garlic and when almost golden, add the mushrooms, and sauté until thoroughly cooked and dot with sea salt ... then a sprinkle of parsley ...

This does NOT take the flavor of the mushrooms ... if you add too many other ingredients, the mushrooms do not dominate and thus, absorb the other ingredients flavors ...

In Spain and its profound Tavern culture, they are served exactly this way ... I prepare the Ceps Boletus and sometimes Niscalos quite often in the late autumn ... If I recall, Niscalos are called Penny Buns, possibly in English ...

Kind regards and have nice wkend,
Margaux ...
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 06:19
Yepper! Three months or so and I'll be back out there again. Time to start looking for Saltine crackers on sale.

Margi, I've cooked a lot of mushrooms just as you have described. Something about mushrooms and garlic. They just go together well.

I've been learning more and more about mushrooms, and feel confident I can identify at least 6 kinds of edible mushrooms that grow around here. There are many more out there that are edible but I'm not sure of.
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 06:44
Rod,

In Spain, a good baguette or crusty country bread can work wonderfully too -- to dip up the garlic and the Evoo ...

Yes, mushrooms and garlic & Evoo are a perfect match !

Morels are more common in France than Spain ... They are called Sponges; esponjes in Spanish.

LOOK GREAT ...
Margaux.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 08:26

Yum!   These were used simply in some pasta containing the Morels and carrots, salt pepper and a little pasta water...topped with a little Spanish Olive Oil.  Simple...and delicious.
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 08:36
beautiful morels, dan ~ thanks for sharing!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 12:34
Damn! I'm drooling now.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 19:59
   it wasn't a very productive morel season this year...they were delicious though.

until next year...
Enjoy The Food!
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 05:28
I didn't do very well either. Went to my usual spots and found none. Tripped over a few here and there but that's all. Kinda disappointing. Like you say, next year.
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 12:54
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 22:19
Beautiful morels, Dan ~ one of these days, I'd like to look around in the spots whee my wife's Slovak grandparents would find mushrooms. 

In fact, we're going to be in that area this weekend, so it might be worth a look....
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 12:45
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

Beautiful morels, Dan ~ one of these days, I'd like to look around in the spots whee my wife's Slovak grandparents would find mushrooms. 

In fact, we're going to be in that area this weekend, so it might be worth a look....

Sounds like a plan!  Just go nice and slow.  I'm not sure what the soil temperature is at, up there by you...but it's worth a shot!

They are sure tasty!

Let us know how you do
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 17:59
Dan,

Truly wonderful morels. In Provençe, and Langudoc, France, they are black !  

Paradise for the palate.

They are not very common in most of Iberia, except for the northeast Girona, Lérida, and Navarra, the regions that share the French border, separated by the Pyrenees.   

Marvelous photographs. 

Have great weekend.
M. 

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 09:55
   Interesting Margi!  Here we have grey and orange morels.

Here's a venison Loin with morels/rice stuffing, with some wild onions on the side and a strawberry gastrique.  It's paired below with a home-brew double IPA.

Enjoy The Food!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic