Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > Southeast Asia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Katjang Saos - Spicy Peanut Sauce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Katjang Saos - Spicy Peanut Sauce
    Posted: 17 January 2014 at 18:02
Bringing up to the top for the virtual progressive dinner of 16 January 2014.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:27
hi, chris - i can't take credit for those awesome photos ~ they are marissa's, and they sure turned out great!

i made this over the weekend and it was truly a joy to prepare that went very well with the sate ajam (chicken satay) that we made - the flavours went perfectly together and i can see where it would also be good for pork, probably beef as well, and surely with fish. i made a quart of it and will certainly be doing some experimenting with it ~

a couple of necessary substitutions that i had to make due to what i had: i substituted fish sauce for the shrimp paste. the result was fine, but now i am just itching to see how it would have been with the shrimp paste ~ lol. another was that i used a couple-three splashes of frank's sauce instead of a chopped-up fresh hot pepper, since i didn't have any around. no worries there, either!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
ChrisFlanders View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 04:45

On which preparations do you use this kind of sauce, Ron? I may have said it before; I'm a novice in Asian cooking. Sounds something to try. Very nice pictures!

africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 05:21
it will make a great cause for chicken thanks .
Ahron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 15:33
Katjang Saos
Spiced Peanut Sauce

Copied over from Marissa's post, using a recipe from Time/Life's Foods of the World, Pacific and Southeast Asian Cooking:

Quote To make about 2 cups

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots or substitute 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions, white part only
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/4 tsp shrimp paste
2 cups chicken stock, fresh or canned
1/2 cup shelled peanuts, preferably Spanish peanuts, pulverized in an electric blender or with a nut grinder or mortar and pestle
1 tbsp ketjap manis
1 tsp strained fresh lime juice
1 tsp scraped, finely grated fresh ginger root
1/4 tsp finely chopped fresh hot chilies

In a heavy 8-inch skillet or sauté pan, heat the oil over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it. Drop in the shallots, or scallions, and garlic and, stirring frequently, cook for 3 or 4 minutes, or until they are soft and transparent but not brown. Watch carefully for any signs of burning and regulate the heat accordingly. Add the shrimp paste and mash it thoroughly with the back of a spoon.

Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Stirring constantly, add the peanuts, ketjap manis, lime juice, ginger and chilies. Reduce the heat to low and, stirring occasionally, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the spoon heavily. Serve at once.

If necessary, the sauce may be prepared ahead and reheated. In this event it may thicken as it stands. Thin it is necessary with a tablespoon or more of water.

We did, as usual, leave out the shrimp paste. I thought about using chunky peanut butter for the recipe but had purchased peanuts for another dish, so figured I go with the book version. I ground the peanuts with the immersion blender until it was a bit gooey but still rather chunky. I probably could have gotten it smoother, but this seemed to be a good stopping point as I like a chunky peanut sauce. A lot of the clumps are actually peanut butter clumps and not just whole peanuts.

After chopping and doing all the prep, here's the ingredients again:

This starts with cooking the shallots and garlic. I frequently sub out shallots for onions because I rarely have them on hand but I always have onions. But I saw some at the store and remembered I had a few recipes that called for them. I'm so glad I did! I forget how different they are from their cousins. I LOVED the smell of them sautéing! Once they were done, I added the stock (used BTB vegetable base)

Once this boils, you add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes, or until thick. After 10 minutes, I didn't feel it was any thicker.

After another 5 minutes simmering, I decided to use the immersion blender again, thinking I may have just not gotten the peanuts into a smooth enough paste to thicken the sauce. A final 5 minutes finally yielded a nice thick sauce still with chunky peanuts remaining.

I even let it cool and sit in the fridge for about 2 hours and it was just a little thicker when reheating - a texture I liked!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic